• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Tours in Montreal

I am conducting a food tour of Montreal for a group of my friends and wanted your feedback on a few additional places to check out. So far we are going to head to Jean Talon Market and the following establishements:

Bilboquet (Ice Cream)

Roberto (Gelato)

Le Fromentier (Bread)

Le Monde du Ravioli (Pasta)

Le Fournil (Pies)

Le Festin de Babette (Soft-Serve Ice Cream)

Grandbois (Chocolates)

I was looking for a few more places along these lines, that I can include. Also interesting food shops. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

could someone tell me why beauty's is so highly regarded? the bacon and eggs scene in montreal is awful, but beauty's does it right, this is true. but the thing is, bacon and eggs is still bacon and eggs. the potatoes are often clumped together and burnt, and the pancakes, don't even get me started. then 2.50 for cream cheese and 2.50 for maple syrup?! sheesh. my recommendation for breakfast, although it is not even in the same league as any bacon and eggs joint, would be reservoir. their brunch is by far the best place to break your overnight fasting period.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Thanks so much ...so far so good!

It seems like it will be fun to discover our city and there is nothing better than food as the outlet to do so. We are now a group of about 16 and counting.....

Milane

Cafe Italia

Quincallerie Dante

Corner St-Denis and Jean-Talon for the four asian super markets

Allati Caserta for Canolies  ( on Dante )( and go into the church in front to find Mussolini picture on the ceilling

Alati on Jean Talon in St-Leonard, and San Marco pastry near pie IX are the only italian pastry shops in the city. Alati Caserta is an insult to italian pastries, it is because of bad bakeries like that that italian desserts are not respected in North America.

Just my opinion, don t mean to sound harsh.

Milane

Cafe Italia

Quincallerie Dante

Corner St-Denis and Jean-Talon for the four asian super markets

Allati Caserta for Canolies  ( on Dante )( and go into the church in front to find Mussolini picture on the ceilling

Alati on Jean Talon in St-Leonard, and San Marco pastry near pie IX are the only italian pastry shops in the city. Alati Caserta is an insult to italian pastries, it is because of bad bakeries like that that italian desserts are not respected in North America.

Just my opinion, don t mean to sound harsh.

Thanks so much ...so far so good!

It seems like it will be fun to discover our city and there is nothing better than food as the outlet to do so.  We are now a group of about 16 and counting.....

Put your walking shoes and add the following to your list:

Un amour de Thés-for teas from around the world-Monkland street

Chocolats de Chloé-Roy street near St Denis

Qui l'ait cru?-cheese-at new shops in Jean Talon market

Le Fouvrac-on Laurier east near Fromentier-great food shop

Casa dei ravioli on Charland street in East end for great pasta

Milano grocery store on St lawrence street in Little Italy-while in Little Italy have a coffee at Café Zanetti on Shamrock street

There is also a new olive oil and spice store in the new strip of stores in the market-forgot the name but you can't miss it-I think it is next to the place that sells only veal from Charlevoix

Van Houtte grocery store on Laurier west -to find some great products from France

Happy exploring!

Alida

Three resources (besides Egullet opinions) well worth getting:

Quartiers Gourmands 2005

This book is a listing of gourmet food stores and fine food take out places thoughout Montreal. It's only $8.50 because it's advertizer supported, but unobtrousively so. Also has a good map with all stores marked. Very good resource.

Flavourville By Lesley Chesterman

400 + pages of pro restaurant reviews. Almost all top restos in Montreal are covered. Adresses, phone numbers, open hours etc. In one very handy book.

Resto A go-go By Sarah Musgrave

Reviews of 180 cheap an fun places to eat and drink in. Good complement to Flavourville.

With the two last resources you're covered for a 24/7 Montreal drinking, dining and diveing experience.

(They are 2004 and 2003 editions so the very latest resto additions are not in there but who cares.... there is always egullet for that.) New editions coming soon I hope!!

Egullet opinions are great but there is something about a book with a consistent and well thought out professional reviews. And you can take them with you when exploring.

You should find these at Libraire Gourmandise at Jean Talon market where you can also browse a good selection of Quebec related foodie literatur as well as French language cook books.

• 9 months later...

My husband and I are having a weekend of decadent eating and drinking in Montreal in July (7th). I have seen references to markets or walking down Rue St. Laurent and eating everywhere. Are there any organized tours or cooking demonstrations with specialties like cheese or something? We're not looking for mass groups but a guide around some part of the city with a food orientation.

We're just starting to plan where to eat and will check out that Gourmet and more of this forum. We're from Houston, Texas and love French food (I have been to Calgary a lot and thought the beef up there was awesome but unless it's a definate requirement at some place you guys recommend we probably won't go for steak places). Most of our vacations are centered around dinner reservations and meals that will dazzle us.

Also, what about chef tables or other experiences not to be missed?

Bonus points for a great hotel with a great bar in a neat neighborhood.

Thanks so much.

you come from texas YOU DO NOT want montreal beef

lamb another story

go in the archives and read the magic words of mr. CARSWELL

he has many tours and special guide including SMOKED MEAT including CONFIT DE CANARD including our excellent markets

Great hotels with great bars in Old Montreal (the best 'hood) include:

Hotel Gault on Ste. Helene

Le St. James on St. Jacques

Le St. Paul on McGill

Le Nelligan on St. Paul

Le St. Sulpice on St. Sulpice

The Gault is on a beautiful, quiet street and is small and very boutique. It has a small bar and restaurant and a cute library where you can take your drinks and relax. Very nice. The best rooms in my opinion.

The St. James is the most expensive hotel in town; where U2 and The Rolling Stones stay. Posh and gorgeous, it has a great spa, very decent restaurant in XO and attentive service.

The St. Paul has a beautiful lobby area adjacent to a small bar and one of the best restaurants in the city in Cube. The rooms are modern and lofty.

The Nelligan has the best bar, along with a rooftop terrasse with views to match. Verses is a good restaurant and much better value for your dollar than S across the street in the St. Sulpice. Rooms are decent, not excellent in comparison to the others.

The St. Sulpice has a nice little spa and great rooms with a view, which you must ask for. They should have the outdoor terrasse ready by the time you arrive for al fresco dining. A definite celebrity hotel, if you care about that kind of thing.

PM me if you want more specific information.

Diagree with the suggestion for the bar (terrasse) at the Nelligan. My last experience there can be summed up with the following:

Terrible service - nearly a half hour wait for our drinks, another half hour for the second round, after which, the waiter spilled my companion's martini.

Seleciton of beer was poor, and I don't remember much about the list of wines by the glass - but I don't remember being very excited about it.

To top it off, my mojito had no mint. I have never eaten at Verses, so I cannot comment.

The location is great however....

My vote goes to the Gault. Fabulous... (besides the bar doesn't actually close per se, you can order drinks well after 3 am) :wink:

This may sound a little forward, but I'm trying to start my own small business putting together culinary tours of Montreal. I would be happy to come up with a suggested itinerary for you just for the feedback and experience. Let me know if you're interested or just want to ask me a few questions first.

The upstairs bar at the W Hotel is a fun little 5 a 7 place. (Happy hour if you will). All the communications industry types and other good looking Old Montreal hipsters come here, especially Thursday and Friday. But stay away from the lower bar unless you're into the "I'm way too cool for you" crowd.

Thanks and btw, we are way too cool for "way too cool" bars!

We made our reservation for the Hotel Gault, it looks great. Now we have 2 dinners and two lunches to plan.....

Also, we are taking the train from upstate NY (the Amtrak Adirondack line) has anyone been on this trip? Albany to Montreal, 7+ hours, which sounds relaxing and should have nice scenery (we live in Houston where the scenery has plenty of refinerys, monster SUVs and strip malls).

Vanessa, I am interested in exploring this option with you! I looked at the visites site that someone posted earlier and it looked good but we'd love something smaller and more customized. My husband loved the cheese idea, but we are open for anything, it would be July 8. How best to communicate with you about this? We love wine, Italian markets, cheese, chocolate, almost anything.

Also, we are taking the train from upstate NY (the Amtrak Adirondack line) has anyone been on this trip?  Albany to Montreal, 7+ hours, which sounds relaxing and should have nice scenery (we live in Houston where the scenery has plenty of refinerys, monster SUVs and strip malls).

I have traveled from Montreal to NYC on Amtrak as well as by car. Considering the drive from Montreal to Albany takes about 4 hours, the train you will be taking is very slow & I believe will make many, many stops. :wacko: Yes, the scenary is nice once you hit the Adirondacks & the train does follow along the Lake Champlain shorline. Nice vistas on a bright day & the Lake is fine but ... is that enough for me to want to ever take the train again? NFW.

IMHO driving from Albany to Montreal can be much more scenic (especially in the Autumn when the leaves are changing colors) if you leave I-87 at Lake George & follow along the shore via Route 9N, through the mountains & then along the NY side of Lake Champlain. After passing Ausable Chasm return to I-87 for the 1.5 hrs to Montreal.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the technical ignorance but, Vinfidel (or anyone), how do I search on the archive for Mr. Caswell?

We're in the final throughs of planning and I want to figure out a tour.

BTW, that first 2nd weekend in July is Jazz Fest? Can anyone give any tips for us? We have dinner reservations lined up already at Joe Beef and APDC.

I apologize for the technical ignorance but, Vinfidel (or anyone), how do I search on the archive for Mr. Caswell? 

We're in the final throughs of planning and I want to figure out a tour.

BTW, that first 2nd weekend in July is Jazz Fest?  Can anyone give any tips for us?  We have dinner reservations lined up already at Joe Beef and APDC.

That's "Carswell".

Go to the Members page (link is near the top right of this page). At the bottom of the Members page, there is a search feature. Type Carswell in the box and hit enter. You will get a link to Carswell's member profile. Click on it. On the right of Carswell's profile page you will see a Profile Options box with links to "Find Member's Topics" and Find Member's Posts". Click on the latter.

Sad to say, Carswell hasn't posted here since February. These days you'll find him sharing his vast knowledge of Montreal on "that other food board".

Edited by rcianci (log)

Superluckycat, did you find a person or company that offers food walking tours? We are also coming up for the Jazz Festival and I've been trying to find one without any luck. In my city (Boston) there are individuals who offer these types of food tours around the North End. I've never done one (since we live here!) but I imagine there must be someone similar in Montreal, I just don't know how to find them. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

One last ditch effort as we're leaving tomorrow - anyone know of any food walking tours? I haven't been to Jean Talon since it was revamped, so we'll go there on our own (and Atwater too), but I was thinking of where to go in some of the other 'hoods.

Also, we are taking the train from upstate NY (the Amtrak Adirondack line) has anyone been on this trip?  Albany to Montreal, 7+ hours, which sounds relaxing and should have nice scenery (we live in Houston where the scenery has plenty of refinerys, monster SUVs and strip malls).

I did this about 10 years ago (from NYC) and loved going up the Hudson River Valley and seeing the light that so inspired painters - but it gets old. Make sure you have some good company, a book, some food...and relax.

In Montreal, check out the markets and community gardens. Lovely.