• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's comes to the Triangle (Cary)

YES!!!!!!

Cary is much closer to Greensboro than DC (or Atlanta!). Hey, and I read the story, they said they like to use existing retail space, they don't build. Given the fact the the Greensboro City Council likes to let folks build shopping centers and leave old ones empty, I can think of lots of nice places for them to go as they open more TJ's in NC!

YAAAAY!!!!!!!

(can you tell I'm excited?) :laugh:

Anne

CARY! CARY!

UGH

Why must they put cool stuff like this in a place that is devoid of culture, a big sprawl of matching boxes.

As excited as I am about the store, I am not excited about driving there.

Seriously, I never understood why some stores choose Cary over Raleigh, or Durham over Raleigh. Sour grapes aside, can someone please educate me on this?

-----------------

AMUSE ME

CARY! CARY!

UGH

Why must they put cool stuff like this in a place that is devoid of culture, a big sprawl of matching boxes.

As excited as I am about the store, I am not excited about driving there.

Seriously, I never understood why some stores choose Cary over Raleigh, or Durham over Raleigh. Sour grapes aside, can someone please educate me on this?

I'm not a retail expert, but I've done plenty of reporting on them. So I can offer a few reasons:

1. Stores go where the people are. Traffic alone would seem to indicate that a lot of people are in Cary.

2. Stores go where the people with disposable incomes are. The cars being driven in that traffic would indicate that people with money and the inclination to shop are in Cary.

3. Stores go where the people with disposable incomes are, and their competitors aren't. Whole Foods, Trader Joes, IKEA and chains like them do research, and they look for spots where they can find an underserved and eager market.

The good news is, that means charming downtown areas like Raleigh's Five Points can be incubators of small, locally owned businesses because the big sharks are fishing elsewhere.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Frankly, I'm tired of the Cary vs. North Raleigh vs. any other suburban area debate. Southern cities sprawl and have lots of commercial areas filled with strip malls and big box developments, and none of the suburban areas are any better or worse than the other. You'll find better high end restaurants, on average, in the cities and more "family" options in the suburban areas. Cary, North Raleigh, Garner, Durham, RTP, Morrisville and Fuquay pretty much all follow the same pattern.

But as far as where Trader Joe's or Costco go, I'm just glad they're coming. If they build it, we will come . . . .

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I want Trader Joes in downtown Durham.............Anyway, I did hear from a Harris Teeter rep that they are planning a store somewhere near the Northgate Teeter that closed down. It will be a year or so, before it is done. That is all I know, so maybe someone else has more info. For those of us near downtown Durham, any news of any grocery store going in is exciting.