• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reproducing Drakes' Yankee Doodles

Kim Shook

Do you know Drake's Yankee Doodles?? They were available in the DC metro area when I was growing up ('60's and '70's) and I just loved them :blush:. I live in Richmond, VA now and you used to be able to get them at Kroger's and the Wonder Bread stores, but no more :sad: . I have this shameful little love of them and would like to make them at home since I can't find them anywhere and refuse to pay the exorbitant shipping charges to buy them online. I know that I can make the ‘cream’ filling, but what’s got me stumped is the cake. Is it German chocolate?? It’s not just chocolate, I know that. I can’t find it on any of the copycat-type websites. Please help me if you have any insight!! Thanks so much!

no reason to be ashamed!! embrace your love from your childhood and be proud. AS to the cake, I have no idea, just experiment around some with a couple of recipes.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I think the word you're looking for is "good" -- "not so good."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reminds me of the devil dog tasting we had in school. Chef never had one -- grew up with too fine a palate. Never will have another one...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side