• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Cucina di Mamma in Brookside - KC, MO

moosnsqrl

Adjacent to Bella Napoli Alimentari, in a space previously occupied by The Breadsmith, Jake Imperiale and his family have opened a restaurant. They feature pizza (Napolitano style, of course, using the existing oven), pastas, salads, sides and antipasti.

They opened at 11am Saturday and I had to be across town before noon, so I was unable to try it day one, but I'll get back asap and report. Having eaten Jake's cooking and knowing how he revered his mother, I'm confident it will be first rate.

Of course the market still has great (mostly Italian) products, including a good variety of salume and cheeses for do-it-yourselfers.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Adjacent to Bella Napoli Alimentari, in a space previously occupied by The Breadsmith, Jake Imperiale and his family have opened a restaurant.  They feature pizza (Napolitano style, of course, using the existing oven), pastas, salads, sides and antipasti.

They opened at 11am Saturday and I had to be across town before noon, so I was unable to try it day one, but I'll get back asap and report.  Having eaten Jake's cooking and knowing how he revered his mother, I'm confident it will be first rate.

Of course the market still has great (mostly Italian) products, including a good variety of salume and cheeses for do-it-yourselfers.

Do you know if they are going to be open on Mondays? I'm always looking for places to dine on Mondays.

Aren't we all? I'm trying to think of somewhere to have lunch at the moment and so many places are closed.

I had to laugh - the menu I picked up says "open six days a week" but neglects to mention which 6. But the restaurant is closed Mondays, as is the market side of the business. Coffee shop is open until noon, apparently.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Aren't we all?  I'm trying to think of somewhere to have lunch at the moment and so many places are closed. 

I had to laugh - the menu I picked up says "open six days a week" but neglects to mention which 6.  But the restaurant is closed Mondays, as is the market side of the business.  Coffee shop is open until noon, apparently.

If I remember right Rm 39 might be open tonight or I guess there's the old stand by-40 sardines or Frondizi

Adjacent to Bella Napoli Alimentari, in a space previously occupied by The Breadsmith, Jake Imperiale and his family have opened a restaurant.  They feature pizza (Napolitano style, of course, using the existing oven), pastas, salads, sides and antipasti.

They opened at 11am Saturday and I had to be across town before noon, so I was unable to try it day one, but I'll get back asap and report.  Having eaten Jake's cooking and knowing how he revered his mother, I'm confident it will be first rate.

No website?  I've "Googled" it...

No, and probably never will be. Not his style.

M.F.K. Fisher

No, and probably never will be.  Not his style.

Pity... I don't suppose they deliver to non-Kansas/Missouri states either... :sad::laugh:

Will await the pizza when I return.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Just returned from trying the spicy salami pizza and wish I had recruited some colleagues to come with me so I could've tried more of the offerings.

The crust is almost as good as I make :wink: . I loved the sauce but it is definitely Italian style (mostly just naturally sweet tomatoey goodness - if you're accustomed to pizza hut, this is NOT the highly blended, deep red with lots of herbs -style they use). The salami was spicy, as advertised, and the balance of toppings were essentially a Margherita (fresh mozzarella, roughly torn basil and, yes David, I think the hint of grated hard cheese is parmeggiano but I didn't ask, either). I had a small salad (mesclun with a couple of grape tomatoes - nothing ground-breaking but I like a little salad with my pizza) with a herb citrus dressing that was very bright and tart.

Definitely have to go back and check out the Bianco, the Anchovy, the pastas and contorni. Prior to opening Bella Napoli, when he was a managing partner in Carollo's in the city market, we had a running joke about "body by Jake" (my office is near there and it was too easy to go too often). I'm grateful that I neither live nor work near La Cucina for that very reason. :wub:

I also forgot to ask the ETA on the beer/wine license but it is planned and that will complete the experience for the winos among us.

M.F.K. Fisher