• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources for Sodium Alginate & other chemicals

Mussina

Room4Dessert Wil Goldfarb's dessert restaurant in NYC sells alginate on a retail basis. He also sells other unique products. The address and phone number are on the website, although as yet there is not much more information. You can get that here though.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Here's a source:

Sodium alginate

This appears to be a wholesale site, not to mention it also seems to be shipping from China. After a quick glance, I'm not sure how much use this is to a home cook.

R4D came to mind for me, too, but I wasn't sure if Mussina was in NYC. I'm not sure if R4D does mail order either.

ETA: FMC "Bippolymer" should be "Biopolymer". And again, this appears to be a wholesale site. Any retail sources that easily sell small quantities?

Edited by BryanZ (log)

R4D came to mind for me, too, but I wasn't sure if Mussina was in NYC.  I'm not sure if R4D does mail order either.

if I remember correctly Wil told me they do. The way to know for sure is to call.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Chefrubber.com has alginate for $7.75 for 100g (~3.5 oz). They also have 500g (17.6 oz) of Calci for $17.

I ordered some, but haven't received it yet so I can't say anything about the product etc. Price seems ok.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

With all the interest on molecular gastronomy these days, I'm looking to try some of the recipes that've caught my eye from the elBulli cookbooks. Does anybody know a source where I can order a few samples of food grade chemicals to experiment with, that will deliver to a remote area of New Brunswick, Canada?

I'm specifically looking for: Calcium Chloride, Methyl-Cellulose, Agar-Agar Powder, Vitamin C Powder (in bulk) & Transglutaminase, as well as possibly some liquid nitrogen.

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

With all the interest on molecular gastronomy these days, I'm looking to try some of the recipes that've caught my eye from the elBulli cookbooks.  Does anybody know a source where I can order a few samples of food grade chemicals to experiment with, that will deliver to a remote area of New Brunswick, Canada?

I'm specifically looking for: Calcium Chloride, Methyl-Cellulose, Agar-Agar Powder, Vitamin C Powder (in bulk) & Transglutaminase, as well as  possibly  some liquid nitrogen.

Check www.xenexlabs.com They are in Canada. Not sure if they have everything you want.

Some chemicals can be had from Chefrubber.com, which is a good place for the calcium chloride, alginate, Agar Agar, and vitamin C, get your Transglutaminase from Activa (search, you'll have to talk to someone and convince them to send you a sample), and call DOW chemicals to get a sample of methylcellulose. Usually, recipes use HPMC E4M

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the items you have listed are readily obtained from the sources already listed, but are you actually equipped to receive liquid nitrogen? Apart from their asking (and it is not exactly that cheap) do you have a dewar to transport from the tank to your prep area? You cannot really just tap the tank for a little bit of the stuff.

Dry ice may also be problematic, though more for storage. You don't exactly want to be in an enclosed area when the stuff starts to sublimate.

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know of an online source for aliginate?  I've googled it with no luck.

Many thanks!

I get many of my colloids from http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/index.html (on line and easy to deal with). Another source for many of the CP Kelco products (http://www.cpkelco.com/ ) is http://www.le-sanctuaire.com/ (now on line so they may be easier to order from but one of the only source for low methoxy pectin).

BTW LMP is another Ca dependent colloid that produces a skin with a better mouth feel and strength. I find for gelling, to use a combination of alginate:LMP at 1:1 and at a total amount equal to what you would have used for alginate alone. Try it, you will like.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...