• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SD/LA visit preparation

lamington

I'm visiting a friend in SD in late September for a few days, perhaps with one or two days in/near LA. I've read the dining threads for SD and will revisit them closer to departure. Right now I'm trying to gauge what will be interesting for me.

In dining out, it looks like Mexican is the main point of interest/novelty for an Australian from a well-catered home city, and I've noted the comments about taquerias and the like. (I'm visiting an Afghani friend, so I'm sure he'll introduce me to that community too.)

What about cooking at home? I've never yet been to an enormous supermarket in North America and wonder where to turn in the SD area (or on the road between LAX and SD... straight off to the plane and into a shopping cart? :raz: ) I have a perhaps perverse interest in the normality of everyday cooking. I want to see (1) what people buy, (2) what the gamut of basic ingredients is like (and play with some of them), in addition to (3) finding interesting produce and (4) testing the difference between Aus/US beef and lamb. Maybe also (5) looking at some characteristic CA wines.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Your post reminded me of something I used to do many, many years ago (don't ask for an exact number, it was a long time ago). When I was in grad school in New England, my soutwest friends and I deeply missed Mexican food. So, whoever was coming back from a visit west would leave space in their suitcase or carry-on bag or both. On the way to the airport, we would stop at a market and lay in a supply of great ingredients that could not be had in New England -- dried beans, tortillas, chilis (fresh & dried), cilantro, etc. Upon returning, we would fill in the rest of ingredients with whatever we needed to by locally and then descend on someone's apartment for a great cooking party and feast. Yum!

So long and thanks for all the fish.

lamington, greetings (or g'day mate)!

I suppose San Diego has various farmers' markets around. In the Los Angeles area, the Santa Monica Farmers' Market on Wed. morning is huge, as well as the one in Hollywood on Sun. morning. Not super-huge but all around is Trader Joe's. If your friend is a member, have him/her take you to Costco. It's more of a membership warehouse that has "everything." There are various ethnic markets that tend to have good produce, if you don't shop at the farmers' market.

I hope this helps. Please let us know what you want.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Costco carries many things... IN BULK! :biggrin: So unless you are on this trip with 10 other people and staying for >10 days, I just don't see the advantage of shopping at Costco. Unless, of course, that would let you see the side of America that... well, buys IN BULK. 1 dozen bags of potato chips, 10 lb of beef, 4 chicken pack at a time... you get the idea.

Your regular local grocery markets may be a better venue, and there are plenty in the area. You probably would have a better luck looking for them near where you will be staying instead of looking for them near the SD airport. And grocery stores there are plenty. I am sure you will pass by some on the way from the airport to where you will be staying.

Edit: spelling

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

San Diego has its share of large supermarkets. The big chains, Vons, Albertsons, Ralphs, have stores that vary somewhat is size, usually because the stores get bigger and bigger each year. The newer, really big ones have banks in them, as well as fast food take-out and Starbucks coffee. They increasingly have more packaged and prepared food.

There are some smaller markets that have much higher quality, but also higher prices. For instance, the Harvest Ranch Markets (which include Jonathan's in La Jolla), have high quality meat and seafood, and pretty much every trendy culinary fad foods. My favorite markets these days are the Seaside Market in Cardiff, which has the same quality at the Harvest Ranch Markets but without the attitude, and Jimbo's Naturally, which have a few stored in the County. Jimbo's stresses organic produce, naturally produced meat and chickens, vegetarian foods, and environmentally sensitive products. Seaside Market also has a lot of good organic produce. The Whole Foods chain has high-quality and higher prices. There are also farmer's markets all over.

I go way back with the Trader Joes chain, although I'm growing increasingly disappointed in it. Costco is a bulk warehouse place, although they do have well-priced choice-grade beef and Australian lamb. We also have ethnic markets, from small Mexican places that sell carne asada to Ranch 99, where you can get Asian products and a large selection of seafood, some live in tanks.

Chino's vegetable stand on the edge of Rancho Santa Fe has very high quality, interesting and expensive produce, which makes its way to many restaurants, including Chez Panisse in Berkeley.

Thanks for the interesting and diverse suggestions so far. Perhaps I can add a little more background/explanation:

On previous visits to the US, I've only ever had access to supermarkets which were, well, rather diminutive -- I assume this is in part because of the very regional nature of many of your grocery chains. I have also been to a Costco once, and whilst it is a temple to bulkness, it certainly presents problems for a one/two-man cooking expedition. So what I seek is something that some places might call a "hypermarket" -- a fantastically well-stocked supermarket, where "well-stocked" means "carrying the gamut of consumer excess and an old-fashioned homecook's supplies".

For exotic things, in the end I will have less time for that, and the availability of ingredients for many overlapping cuisines is pretty good here in Aus -- with the exception of Central/South American foods, and ingredients which are exceptionally popular in (or unique to) North America. I suspect my dining-out focus would be American (Central/South/scary Northern:P), while my homecooking would be with the supermarket goodies.

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Thanks for the interesting and diverse suggestions so far. Perhaps I can add a little more background/explanation:

On previous visits to the US, I've only ever had access to supermarkets which were, well, rather diminutive -- I assume this is in part because of the very regional nature of many of your grocery chains. I have also been to a Costco once, and whilst it is a temple to bulkness, it certainly presents problems for a one/two-man cooking expedition. So what I seek is something that some places might call a "hypermarket" -- a fantastically well-stocked supermarket, where "well-stocked" means "carrying the gamut of consumer excess and an old-fashioned homecook's supplies".

For exotic things, in the end I will have less time for that, and the availability of ingredients for many overlapping cuisines is pretty good here in Aus -- with the exception of Central/South American foods, and ingredients which are exceptionally popular in (or unique to) North America. I suspect my dining-out focus would be American (Central/South/scary Northern:P), while my homecooking would be with the supermarket goodies.

Hypermarket, eh? Some of the western U.S. grocery chains have their own versions. The Von's chain has (or used to have) their "Von's Pavilions" which are extra large grocery stores offering more than the usual neighborhood grocery stores. The Albertson's chain (which took over the Lucky's chain) had a mega-store called "The Advantage" which offered pre-made everything, from potato sausages to chinese stirfrys in addition to groceries. The Alberston's on Balboa Avenue in San Diego (between the 805 and 163 Freeways) used to be an "Advantage" store. While labeled as just an "Albertson's" now, they still offer quite a bit more than a regular grocery store.

Of course, there are always the Super WalMarts, Super K-Marts and Super-Targets that sell everything under the sun, from groceries to camping gear.

In another San Diego thread, someone posted a link where you could find all the farmer's markets in San Diego...will try and dig that up.

edited to add: Here is the link for Ceritifed Farmer's Markets in San Diego county - Click here. Where it asks for Market City, type in San Diego.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The Ralph's in Hillcrest has a more diverse than usual produce dept, and carries all the typical CA grocery store 'stuff'. Its next to a Trader Joe's and a block or so away from WholeFoods.

It sounds like it would meet your criteria, and let you hit three versions of CA shopping in one swell foop.

Where-ish in SD are you staying?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

What's your favorite food by geography? LA/SD has it all: Afghan, Vietnamese, various Indian and Chinese styles, Persian, Moroccan and other North African, Argentine, etc., etc., etc. Name your poison - I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

And for home cooking - look for RANCH 99 for all edibles Asian. \

San Diego isn't exactly a bastion of "hypermarket" activity. The primary grocery chains are Von's (owned by Safeway), Ralph's (owned by Krogers) and Albertson's (currently for sale). How well a market is stocked depends a lot upon where it is located within the city. Here are a couple of suggestions for markets that might meet your needs --

Albertson's - in Mira Mesa at the intersection of Mira Mesa Blvd. and Westview Parkway. It's pretty big, offers an extensive choice and just got out of the business of selling large appliance.

Ralphs - at the intersection of Friar's Rd. and Hazard Center Dr. This is my favorite Ralph's, particularly in terms of variety.

A block south of Friar's Rd., on Mission Center Dr. is a Food 4 Less. This is a pretty big store that's kind of a hybrid between Costco and a grocery store.

In terms of hypermarket, what you really might be seeking is the Wal-Mart store that sells groceries, and there is one of those right off the I-15 and Aero Dr.

Whole Foods Market probably doesn't have the diversity of product that you're looking for, but it's an extremely successful grocery chain in the organic/natural foods niche. There is a Whole Foods Market at 7th and University in Hillcrest. It includes a fish monger, meat counter, bakery, an array of prepared foods (hot & cold) for bulk purchase as well as hot and cold food bars. It's also referred to as Whole Paycheck because it's very pricey to shop there.

Downscale from Whole Foods are Henry's and Jimbo's as has been mentioned before.

Some of the specialty markets in San Diego are by far more interesting than the traditional grocery stores.

North Park Produce on El Cajon Blvd. around 34th or 35th St. offers unusual produce, a halal butcher, 10 varieites of feta cheese, and an incredibly large selection of unusual dairy and frozen products and more bottles, cans and jars of Middle Eastern and Eastern European products than you can imagine. The facility itself has seen better days and is pretty frayed around the edges, but it's worth a stop if for not other reason than the novelty of it.

Vine Ripe Produce in La Mesa, on Fletcher Parkway between Baltimore and Jackson Drives, is similar to North Park Produce but cleaner. Their produce is usually dead ripe, bordering on almost too ripe, but usually dirt cheap. In addition to the same 10 varieites of feta cheese, Vine Ripe has a really cool olive bar. Not to mention a Halal butcher and bakery specializing in Middle Eastern and Greek pastry items. It also has the largest selection of Patak indian products that I have ever seen anywhere in California. There is a small restaurant - eat in or take out - attached to the market which is actually pretty good.

There are many small markets that cater to the latin trade, but it helps to either know what you want or speak Spanish. Here are 2 latin markets that are easy to shop at for the non-Spanish speaker

Pancho Villa Market on El Cajon Blvd where it cross the I-805 has lots going for it. You can buy fairly good quality dried chiles in bulk here as well as the usual array of fresh chiles. You can get jamaica (dried hibiscus flowers), tamarind, rice, beans, all staples of the Mexican kitchen. It's one of the easiest places in San Diego to find a ready source of epazote, Mexican cheeses, cremas, a butcher selling Mexican only cuts of meat and a chicharrone case on the meat counter. There are aisles of hot sauces, Knorr-Swiss seasonings (quite common in Mexico and actually quite good), salsas, pastas, Mexican cookies, candies and condiments. It's got a small hot food area selling food to go.

The other option is El Tigre Market. There are 3 locations in San Diego County. One is in the south bay an exit or two north of the Mexican border, the other two are in the North County in Vista and Escondido. These stores carry just about anything and everything you can think of that's related to Mexican and Centeral American food/cooking. You can probably Google for El Tigre's web site.

A visit to Ranch 99 is an experience. You may not be that interested in Asian products, but this is a fun store in which to shop if for not other reason than almost everything in it is exotic, uncommon and unusual to those of us living here. Plus most of the small food vendors inside the market are pretty good for a quick meal. Lots of weird and wonderful vegetables, lots of live fish swimming around in tanks, that their fishmongers will clean and dress for you in one of 5 ways, lots of staple items with labels you can't really read. It's easier to get in and out of Ranch 99 on a week day than during the weekend, and if you're going to buy the fresh fish, it's better to go midweek in the morning.

There is a farmer's market every day of the week in San Diego. Two of the best are the Wednesday market in Ocean Beach (OB) and the Sunday market in Hillcrest

People's Co-Op in OB is worth a stop and even though it's a co-op it's open to the public. They cater primarily to the organice/natural foods/vegetarian/vegan/beach population with lots of produce, health aides, prepared foods, etc. If you're in town on a Wednesday, it would be very easy to stop by People and then proceed down the street to the Wednesday market which is on Newport Ave. just west of Sunset Cliffs Dr.

Also in the beach area, close to the Sports Arena is a market called Baron's which is kind of like Jonathan's in La Jolla in that it services an upscale customer base with expendable income that they don't mind spending on food.

Most of the vendors from the OB farmers market will also be at the Sunday market in Hillcrest, but the vibe of the market is way different because the clientele is different.

Iowa Meat Farms on Mission Gorge Rd. and Siesel's off Morea Blvd. are specialty meat markets selling good quality meat and every imaginable sauce and rub.

Okay, I think that's about it for markets in San Diego

Edited by kalypso (log)

The Albertson's (formerly Advantage) that Tolier mentioned is huge and agree that it has lot's of stuff to check out. It is almost on the corner of 805 and Balboa Ave. behind Island's and Applebee's restaurants. Worth a look.

Also, 99 Ranch is the next exit north of Balboa on 805 and that too as mentioned is worth a visit. Go East on Claremont for about a mile and it's on the left side.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Walmart at I-15 and Aero Dr sells 7-11 sort of groceries. Its not the full service grocery found in some Walmarts. If you want the mega-supermarket experience, I'd give it a pass.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I think folks have given you excellent suggestions for a wide range of choices. If you have any extra time, and are anywhere near the area, I strongly suggest you stop in at a wonderful store called Surfas (yes, that is the correct spelling). While it's techincally a restaurant supply place, it is so much more. Open to the general public, a great selection of gourmet ingredients, and amazing cooking supplies and gear. It's in Culver City, just off the I-10 (Santa Monica Freeway) in West LA. More specifically, it's on the corner of Washington & National.

Enjoy.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Fantastic and very all of you, thanks! Lots to work with there.

I'm staying in 92108.

I could have kicked myself for not thinking more about the word "hypermarket"-- for some reason I'd forgotten it's wider remit, and my poor wording "gamut of consumer excess" should have been "gamut of consumer food excess"... so no, I'm not in the market for camping gear :raz: , but nonetheless the question appears to have been answered wonderfully. Thanks!

Edited: for zipcode clarity.

Edited by lamington (log)

Nicely near Hillcrest. Both northpark and vineripe produce are also reasonably accessible. Actually, 92108 is pretty central to everything.

You may want to check out MizDucky's foodblog too.

As a matter of fact, I'm so intrigued by your interest in checking out the American grocery consumer experience that I'd be willing to help you in your explorations once you get here. Just remember to give me a heads-up when you're on your way over here, and I'll see if we can hook up for a little tour activity.

(Dang--I really should be getting a commission from the San Diego tourism bureau! :laugh: )

Edited to add: oh yeah, 92108 is right next door to where I live. :smile:

Edited by mizducky (log)

As a matter of fact, I'm so intrigued by your interest in checking out the American grocery consumer experience that I'd be willing to help you in your explorations once you get here.

Very kind of you mizducky:)) I've PMed you.

If you have a car in L.A., you might want to take a trip to Grand Central Market, to get a taste of Latin America. My favorite market (fairly near the airport) is Gelson's in Marina Del Rey. Their meat department is generally expensive, but the produce is very good and reasonably priced. There is also a large fruit/vegetable market on Centinella, just west of Jefferson. It's next to Go Veggie, 5462 S. Centinella Ave. For seafood, I go to Santa Monica Seafood Market.