• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introducing new cocoa bagel to honor Red Sox

Gifted Gourmet

article from NRN

To salute the Red Sox ... Finagle A Bagel has added a cocoa bagel to its lineup. The flavor, which will be offered for the next 60 to 90 days, is made with Dutch cocoa powder, liquid chocolate flavoring, and chocolate chips. And it's been selling out daily at all of Finagle's 20 Boston-area locations since being introduced last week, which means each store is selling between 50 and 100 a day ... "At first, people are like, 'Ooh — a cocoa bagel?'"

Would you like to try a cocoa bagel? :rolleyes:

Yes! :biggrin:

No! :angry:

Is this a joke? :huh:

What type of schmear on this one? :unsure:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

article from NRN
To salute the Red Sox ... Finagle A Bagel has added a cocoa bagel to its lineup. The flavor, which will be offered for the next 60 to 90 days, is made with Dutch cocoa powder, liquid chocolate flavoring, and chocolate chips. And it's been selling out daily at all of Finagle's 20 Boston-area locations since being introduced last week, which means each store is selling between 50 and 100 a day ... "At first, people are like, 'Ooh — a cocoa bagel?'"

Haven't they just reinvented the doughnut ?

That reminds me of the old joke..........

Man walks into a bakers and points at some cakes.

He asks (in broad Scots) 'is that a doughnut or a meringue' ?

The baker replies 'no, your quite right, it's a doughnut'.

Well, I'm reminded of the chocolate cherry bread they made at the artisan bread bakery that went out of business. I mean how do you and are you really gonna toast that stuff??? I mean you really gonna boil dough with chocolate chips in it--glory that sounds gross.

Having them only seasonally is a good idea--they have to do (make) those last I'm sure or replace that water. It just doesn't sound right though does it.

Cream cheese would work though. Hold the lox (where's the I'm barfing smilie face) :rolleyes:

They get points for trying something new, but you can't dance to it.

And edited to ask for someone to explain Mike's joke, Mike???? Maybe the language barrier there or something... :huh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

'Is that a doughnut or a meringue ?' (In a broad Scots accent) sounds like......

'Is that a doughnut or am I wrong ?'

Having to explain the joke makes it about as funny as standing on a nail.

Apologies to everyone. :blush:

I'm just wondering, WHY a cocoa bagel for the Red Sox? Cocoa isn't indicative of Boston, as far as I know. My dad's a Red Sox fan, so I am, too. Why not a caramel and peanut (for popcorn) bagel? Or a plain bagel with a seafood spread? Heck, a pretzel bagel with ball park mustard! OK, I'm stopping now, but you get my point.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Whoever it was, they don't deserved to be boiled. Steamed, like all the run of the mill Bagel places do.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I mean you really gonna boil dough with chocolate chips in it--glory that sounds gross.

Whoever it was, they don't deserved to be boiled. Steamed, like all the run of the mill Bagel places do.

Well, K8memphis, there's your answer--they're no doubt steaming the bagels. Although the idea of steamed chocolate chips don't sound all that palatable to me either. But at least they wouldn't all just dissolve and wash away as they would if these folks boiled their bagels the old-fashioned way.

I confess I have major mixed feelings about this cocoa bagel thing. Mostly against, because I'm another bagel purist who wants her bagels savory, damn it! But at the same time, I realize I've been known to wolf down chocolate muffins (or at least I did before I went on the diet thang), even though I've always held that a chocolate muffin is just a glorified cupcake only for breakfast. So ... I dunno.

I am willing to cut them some slack, though, because it's hard to resist creating *something* to take advantage of Coco Crisp's name. Even though the article quotes the owners of this bagel enterprise as saying this creation isn't specifically in Crisp's honor. (Maybe he can use one to splint his broken finger?)

And the appropriate schmear for this critter? Why, cake frosting, of course. Especially the canned stuff. Mmmmmm ... flavored Crisco ... :wacko::laugh:

article from NRN

Peanut Butter and Raspberry jam! OOOOOOOH :wub: !

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I got the joke!! I got the joke!

About the bagel -- well, it's better than a baked bean bagel!

(Life long Sox fan, now married to and living in NJ, and still hating the Yankees)

OK, here's my idea: a bagel, with a hot dog grilled into a ring shape, topped with baked beans. Reall, no chocolate chips, please. It's a bagel, not a cookie!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I doubt I would buy a cocoa bagel instead of one of my favorite flavors, but if someone gave me one I'd give it a try. And I'd add cream cheese, because it tastes good baked into a brownie.

But I don't think this is the best way to honor the Red Sox. Cocoa Crisp cookies sound good, as does a Cocoa Crisp cream cheese to put on a regular bagel (chocolate chips blended into cream cheese on a salty bagel could be good...).

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry