• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monkfish liver (foie de lotte)

A Balic

Just try to be creative! Don't be bounded by traditional preparations, even though they offer a great starting point. If I had a pound of it in my kitchen right this instant, I would try a number of preparations: raw, steamed, poached, made into a sauce or soup, etc.

Personally, I would probably explore technniques that would lighten the texture, à la Sugiyama's tofu and monkfish liver cake. My head tells me that a monkfish liver soufflé would be excellent, especially if it had citrus highlights, like yuzu, if you want to keep it Japanese. And so on. I've always wanted to make gingerbread and monkfish liver paste macaroons.

IML

ballast/regime

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

• 1 year later...

I just got in some killer monkfish liver and i am looking for recommendations for cooking it? any ideas? the liver has the texture of chicken liver and smels like the sea. i also am wondering if the liver will make a good terrine.

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

i agree with chef koo's recommendation for cooking by pan searing with salt and pepper. Monkfish liver is sometimes referred to as "the foie gras of the sea" and justifiably so, it has a texture and taste that is very reminiscent of foie. I generally sear it 2 or 3 mn on one side and 1-2 mn on the other depending on its size. It doesn't require any dredging or coating of any sort, it quickly develops a very nice color as soon as it hits the pan.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get some monkfish liver today and would really like to try making Monkfish Liver Pate. I'm willing to do something like you get in sushi restaurants but something more seasoned sounds interesting.

I've searched to no avail, does anyone have any recommendations? Perhaps I could just use a standard Pate recipe as a guide -- where is that Pate for Dummies recipe when I need it?

Thanks

Monkfish Pate

One 10oz monkfish liver

1. Remove blood vessels from liver

2. Soak the liver in salted water for 30mins (30g salt - 1 quart water)

3. Season well with salt and pepper

4. Roll into a sausage shape in cling film tightly, secure ends with string

5. Poach or steam for 12mins, leave to cool in liquid.

6. Refrigerate for 6 hours.

7. Serve slices of liver with toast & lemon

Is it possible to make this prepapation with any fish liver other than monkfish?

Unfortunately no. Ankimo is the only fish liver that is first of all clean enough to use a food preparation. Fish liver is typically ridden with all critters of all sorts that you would never want to come across. In fact, for those of you attempting to make Ankimo, I would hightly recommend searching the liver very carefully for small, white worms. They most often are coiled in appearance and are gennerally on the surface of the lobe. Also, Ankimo is the only liver big enough to really have any kind of success. I recommend only buying Ankimo from a well established Japanese vendor. I have seen this stuff run the gamut in quality.

Neal J. Brown

chef, teacher and always a student

To respect food is to respect one's self.

you can also take the proccedures he showed you on how to make the patte and incorporate some pretty cool flavors. I have tried it with port wine , sweet sake, sweet soysauce, so far almsot anything sweet came out pretty good. I want to try and incorporate a sweet and sour one soon. Just havn't gotten to it yet.

To tell you the truth I guess you could do almsot anything you do with regular foi, in the sence of marinating.

Is it possible to make this prepapation with any fish liver other than monkfish?

Ankimo is the only fish liver that is first of all clean enough to use a food preparation. Fish liver is typically ridden with all critters of all sorts that you would never want to come across...

I've heard this from a number of sources, including a local fishmonger who should know. Yet every episode of Iron Chef that features fish, the Iron Chef makes something from the liver. Anyone have more info?

• 1 year later...

So we just got about two pounds of monkfish liver today. I've heard of, but never tried, and I was curious as to what can be done with it......

After opening the pack and tasting it, it had less flavor than that of a chicken. Boredom consued. Why on earth did we spend money towards this absence of flavor?

The integrity of the liver still stands, and it is a beautiful piece of meat. I just don't see what everyone is so excited about......

Let me just say, after tasting I'm none to excited.

I have eaten it fresh... when I get it.. just barely seared like foie.. fab!!!

never packaged....

I have had the canned monkfish liver.. which tasted like liver.. NOT high on my list!

So we just got about two pounds of monkfish liver today. I've heard of, but never tried, and I was curious as to what can be done with it......

You'll find that monkfish liver is discussed right here .... .. enjoy the reading! :wink:

thanks much for the info :), yet it still does not grasp my intent. Everyone i work with expects it to act like a lobe of foie gras. Honestly i thought it would too. Unfortunately it does not.

Right now i'm looking towards forming a flavorful lobe using the liver, lobster stock and gelatin.

I once had an incredble appetizer of monkfish liver at the wonderful little restaurant Prune in NYC. It was quick seared, like foie gras, and had a full, rich flavor - not liver-ish. It was very delicious.

• 10 months later...

Unfortunately no. Ankimo is the only fish liver that is first of all clean enough to use a food preparation. Fish liver is typically ridden with all critters of all sorts that you would never want to come across. In fact, for those of you attempting to make Ankimo, I would hightly recommend searching the liver very carefully for small, white worms. They most often are coiled in appearance and are gennerally on the surface of the lobe. Also, Ankimo is the only liver big enough to really have any kind of success. I recommend only buying Ankimo from a well established Japanese vendor. I have seen this stuff run the gamut in quality.

I'm not talking from experience, but . . . I can't beleive there is only one single species of fish in all the oceans and lakes of the world whose liver is suitable for human consumption.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm not talking from experience, but . . . I can't beleive there is only one single species of fish in all the oceans and lakes of the world whose liver is suitable for human consumption.

When I worked in Harbour Island(Off Eleuthra), Bahamas some of the locals at the docks, where I buy my fish, gathers all the liver from Nassau Groupers caught that morning. I was told they were good fried. It may seem odd but with the abunadance of fish there, I am not surprised that some of them preferred the liver to the actual fish.

• 3 months later...

Ways with monkfish liver spotted recently...

- monkfish ramen (slice of cooked liver on top of the ramen, usual ramen accompaniments such as nori, green onion).

- monkfish liver with monkfish liver dressing

- old standby: steamed monkfish liver, sliced, dressed with citrus/soy sauce and daikon grated together with a dried chili

- monkfish liver with crisp and slightly pongy vegetables such as celery, cutting celery, udo, and the like.