• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Garden State"

Now that we who don't have yards are totally jealous, can you give me some suggestions for things that will grow well (preferably herbs) in SMALL pots in my apartment?!?

I spend $$ at the farmer's market every week during the summer b/c I'm so taken by the fresh herbs...and veggies...and fruits...SIGH. Of course, that does offer me much more variety than I could grow in a little window box or pot on the window sill, I suppose! But I'd love a few ideas.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

My daughter :wub: grew this in our last apartment, in a pot, by the window with the Northern exposure. (Sorry about making it a link, it's the only way I know of to upload the photos so far.) It was the sweetest pineapple that we ever ate. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...lbum&album=2819

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Now that we who don't have yards are totally jealous, can you give me some suggestions for things that will grow well (preferably herbs) in SMALL pots in my apartment?!? 

I spend $$ at the farmer's market every week during the summer b/c I'm so taken by the fresh herbs...and veggies...and fruits...SIGH.  Of course, that does offer me much more variety than I could grow in a little window box or pot on the window sill, I suppose!  But I'd love a few ideas.

Do you have sun? A balcony or fire escape? Most herbs need sun atleast part of the day. Of course with less sun, you just get less yield, but you're not feeding an army. One plant each of the basics like thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon should be enough. I plant three basil plants in a 12" pot and get huge amounts. Will I have to bring you care packages this summer, Ev?

Dana

Will I have to bring you care packages this summer, Ev?

Dana

If you...arrgggh...twist....my...arm...um, SURE!! :raz: That would certainly help me avoid having to plant and grow my own stuff, wouldn't it?!? :laugh:

Seriously, though, I do have some good sun exposure off of my living room window, so a window box is a definite possibility! Also have a great sill over my kitchen window, but it gets indirect light.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Dana

If you...arrgggh...twist....my...arm...um, SURE!! :raz: That would certainly help me avoid having to plant and grow my own stuff, wouldn't it?!? :laugh:

Seriously, though, I do have some good sun exposure off of my living room window, so a window box is a definite possibility! Also have a great sill over my kitchen window, but it gets indirect light.

I have mint, that I planted last year, coming up in my clay rectangular boxes on my deck. I usually keep pots of rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil, too.

Dana

I have mint, that I planted last year, coming up in my clay rectangular boxes on my deck. I usually keep pots of rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil, too.

Be glad that mint is in a BOX! My mint is everywhere...a huge weed that chokes out everything in its way!

Donna Marie, I grow pink brandywines, rainbow brandywines, sunglo, a type of currant tomato, and some romas. Usually I try one or two others that are different every year.

A great source for seeds is TomatoFest.com. He has hundreds of varieties, and is located in Carmel, California.

I plant mine the second weekend of May or so. Beware, that most heirlooms are late -- like 85-90 days, so it is important to get these out at the earliest possible date.

Good luck! Have fun. And be the envy of all of your neighbors!

I do miss having a garden. When I built my house thirty years ago I had a clearing in the rear of my property (I live in the woods) and built a garden of about 25’ x 30’. I brought in pick-up loads of horse manure from nearby horse farms and dug it in. The sandy soil was ideal and I grew just about everything that would grow, including some great potatoes. In those days we had deer, but they must have been scattered throughout the forest and didn’t do too much damage. Today it’s impossible to have even patio tomatoes because the deer eat everything, including the very expensive landscaping. You can spray the landscaping, but you can’t the vegy’s. They allow the hunters to take at least 5 deer a year here and that hasn’t made a dent in them. About 1 deer a week is hit by cars within a ½ mile circle from my house and one hit me a couple months ago and cause $2,800 damage. They are a real problem. I now buy all my vegetables from nearby farms that have more aggressive ways of dealing with them than I.

i have a small area to plant this year-

i started with green peas,lettuce, spinach, nasturiums, pansies, violas,oregano, thyme-

to be planted 1-2 weeks

tarragon, basil

2 tomato plants

savory

chervil

bush string beans

lavender

i will also be placing scented geraniums outside-

this is the year of scented geraniums-

i love herbs and edible flowers