• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB for women's wine group?

effrontery

Hi all--I started a women's wine group a few months ago, and we've gotten pretty successful. We typically have about 12 women who turn up once a month for our Friday night out...

So far we've been to Effie's, Kabul, and Las Casuelas. We also went to Beau Monde and purchased bottles off their list.

Here's my question...can you recommend any restaurants that can accomodate a party of that size? I had a few ideas, but I figured I'd ask here first!

And if you'd like to be added to our invite list, please let me know. We're a mix of ages and backgrounds, we usually end up having a great time.

Thanks for the help! :)

Hmm, I wonder how long it'll take Katie to notice.

Overtures is a great choice, and I don't think they get enough business, so definitely stop by the place.

I noticed earlier and wanted to think about it before shooting off my mouth... :rolleyes:

Certainly Overtures is an excellent suggestion. I'd probably also recommend Rx, Branzino or Scannicchio's. I'd call and see how amenable smaller places would be to accomodating a group your size, especially on a Friday night. If you were flexible and came on a less busy night you'd have better luck with places like Django or Mandoline. I'm sure tying up 12 seats for the better part of the evening on one of the busiest night of the week would make that impossible on a Friday for many places.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Virtually any BYOB would be happy to have your group; if you take your wine seriously, you'll take your food seriously as well. The fact that you're showing up ready to imbibe some great wine makes your group the kind of people who will provide welcome energy to a dining room.

If your group knows what kind of wines they will be bringing, ask the restaurant if they could create a menu tailored to your choices. Most places will be happy for the opportunity to stretch.

The smaller the BYOB, the less flexibilty there will be for when you can come in. 12 people drinking multiple bottles of wine=three hours of table time. That means you will be welcomed at any time on a slow night or after 8 on a busy night.

owner, Rx

My wife and I had a terrific meal at Meze restaurant on 9th & Catherine on a recent Friday night. They have the seating to accomodate a party like yours and the food and service were very good. Their concept of "sharing" menus for two+ people would work well with a large group, though they have an a la carte menu also. We brought a Keller riesling that went perfectly with their fish-centric set menu.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! We'll definitely be trying them all in the upcoming months.

And I appreciate the reminder about being time conscious on a Friday night. The good thing is, we love to eat ;) so hopefully we make it worth the restaurant's while...

I'll report back and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

And I appreciate the reminder about being time conscious on a Friday night. The good thing is, we love to eat ;) so hopefully we make it worth the restaurant's while...

No matter how big a check you and your group run up on a busy night, it's the tying up of the seats for the entire evening that's the issue. Particularly in a BYO where you aren't adding to your check average with alcohol, those 12 seats could be turned 2 to 3 times as smaller tables in the amount of time it takes to serve a party that large a three course dinner. In a smaller restaurant you could literally be taking up one half to one third of their available seating. I'd be surprised to find any small restaurant that would book a party of 12 persons at prime time on a night other than maybe a Monday-Wednesday. And even then they'd probably want you to come in before 6PM.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol