• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hunger Hut

HKDave

Hunger Hut is an East End located, chef-run, probably unlicenced restaurant-inside-a-house. Formerly in Winnipeg, it moved to Vancouver a few years ago. Some friends of mine from California have been there a few times, said good things, but didn't have the contact info.

Anyone know anything?

PS - HKDave will be back in Vancouver late next week, staying for 2 months or so. I'm looking forward to seeing the usual suspects again.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Anyone remembering last year's Vancouver Magazine article covering the restaurant awards should recall the side story about such establishments. Sadly of course, no specifics. :wink:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

the first rule of hunger hut, is you don't talk about hunger hut.

the second is they use egulleter meat in their chicken wings.

(and can someone pm me where this place is)

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Not licensed and illegal.

And especially in no-fun city :shock:

I'd like to know where the place is too, but I'm huge doubt that anyone would share such secrets

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

^ Just out of curiosity…why would anyone who knows about this PM those who don’t? Wouldn’t that spoil the fun. I’m guessing that whomever conducts this undercover resto has his/her hands full via current word of mouth. Why on earth would he/she want more publicity. Not going to happen.. 'tis my guess.

And, just to contradict myself, look at the publicity that Studio Kitchen gets on the G …Seems to be a somewhat similar concept w/o the hassles. Granted, I know next to nothing about the in's and out's… just read about the fab meals there..

As an aside, I bet that on any given night there are at least 5,000 outstanding meals being served in this city with nary a word being said. Lucky are those that enjoy them. :biggrin:

P.S... I've heard that Jamie is serving Berkshire Roast Pork with a side of Calvados glazed Pippin Apples up at Tree Tops next Tuesday.... call ahead to assure your seat. :raz:

I'm kidding, in case anyone was unsure. :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I understand the cook use to be a personal Chef to Green Day and that it is by invitation only and the main goers are people in the entertainment industry.

So even if one gets the info on Hunger Hut, it sounds like you may not get in. I agree with appreciator. There are many fabulous meals to be had in this city.

PC to Green Day.

:laugh:

Somehow, that does not illustrate his skill to me. I am not saying he hasn't got skills, merely that doesn't say "Fabulous Chef!" for me.

If you google 'hunger hut' you will find more rumour and gossip about this former Winnipeg operation moving to Vancouver. Of course, you will also find a lot of police reports about a bar in Alaska as well as this thread. :raz:

I bet Keanu would sell pictures of his evening there!

-- Matt.

^ Just out of curiosity…why would anyone who knows about this PM those who don’t?  Wouldn’t that spoil the fun.  I’m guessing that whomever conducts this undercover resto has his/her hands full via current word of mouth.  Why on earth would he/she want more publicity.  Not going to happen.. 'tis my guess.

Yeah I figure this to be true as well. I hope one day I will know someone who knows someone who knows how to get there.

I love covert stuff. Like the covert restaurants inside condo units in asia.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

As a tax payer and restaurant owner (well, one day maybe) i am furious that no one exposes these illegal operations. Not only are these meals undermining our taxation revenue schemes, but they are jeopadizing customer health and safety by cooking in kitchens that may have health code violations, and fire safety violations.

That being said, the whole scene seems a bit pretentious, but without merit. I like the idea of having a members only restaurant better that is exclusive based on strict criteria.... like a restaurnat that may only be frequented by heart surgeons, queens council barristers and royals. That way, rather than being envied because 'you know someone that knows someone,' you're resented becuase you're actually superior.

I strongly believe in reincarnation and social hierarchy so why bother being a good person in a past life if you cannot take such advantages in your current life?

As a tax payer and restaurant owner (well, one day maybe) i am furious that no one exposes these illegal operations.  Not only are these meals undermining our taxation revenue schemes, but they are jeopadizing customer health and safety by cooking in kitchens that may have health code violations, and fire safety violations.

ha ha ha.

as a general rule, i find statements that begin with "as a taxpayer.." laughable.

are you joking?

if this place is invite only, what is the problem? customers then, are less customers than invited guests.

"these meals are undermining our taxation revenue schemes" might just make my new egully signature

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

As a tax payer and restaurant owner (well, one day maybe) i am furious that no one exposes these illegal operations. Not only are these meals undermining our taxation revenue schemes, but they are jeopadizing customer health and safety by cooking in kitchens that may have health code violations, and fire safety violations.

I sometimes get mad at the undeclared income that the local dumpster divers have. All those bottles!

If the government was able to harness the awesome power of both of these untapped revenue streams, we could buy a couple of postage stamps.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I suppose I wasn't clear enough.... I was joking outright!

Who cares about health codes or fire codes?  I store my meat in the shower, use my garbage disposal to chop vegetables, and use my bbq in the living room....

Isn't that dangerous? :wink:

Derek