• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Middle Eastern/North Af. provisions

Can anyone out there direct me to a shop(s) that carries a wide selection of Middle Eastern dry goods? Things like preserved lemons, zaatar, dried fava beans, rose petal water...the pantry of the Levant, essentially. Thanks for the assist...working on a moroccan themed dinner for friend's wedding rehearsal dinner.

Can anyone out there direct me to a shop(s) that carries a wide selection of Middle Eastern dry goods?  Things like preserved lemons, zaatar, dried fava beans, rose petal water...the pantry of the Levant, essentially.  Thanks for the assist...working on a moroccan themed dinner for friend's wedding rehearsal dinner.

I like Pars market in Bellevue. The Souk in pike place market is more convenient if you're in Seattle, but kind of random in what they stock. PFI may also have some of what you're looking for.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

The International Bazaar near Southcenter is focused on Indian/Pakistani goods, but covers the Middle East pretty well too.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

There is a Pars on Lake City as well if you don't want to cross the bridge.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second th recommendation of PFI. I was int here on Friday and they had everything you listed. My big weaknss there is the chocolate. Particularly the 5 kilo bars of calebaut. I nearly wept...

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

The International Bazaar near Southcenter is focused on Indian/Pakistani goods, but covers the Middle East pretty well too.

Is it still there? The last time I was there, about a year ago, they had signs saying they were moving to Woodinville. I signed up to be e-mailed with their new address when their move was over, and never heard anything more.

Later, I heard a rumor that they had a terrible rat problem affecting the nearby yarn distributor.

lalala

Where on lake city? I need to get some lavosh tomorrow & would love to skip the drive across the bridge!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Is it still there? The last time I was there, about a year ago, they had signs saying they were moving to Woodinville. I signed up to be e-mailed with their new address when their move was over, and never heard anything more.

Later, I heard a rumor that they had a terrible rat problem affecting the nearby yarn distributor.

You're right, it appears they have moved, but to Kent. According to DEX:

International Food Bazaar

18439 E Valley Hwy

Kent, WA 98032 - 1205

(425) 656-9111

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Interested in the Pars on Lake City Way as well. Looked it up online but couldn't find anything. Anyone know where it is?

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

I'm not quite sure but I bet the owners of that fantastic Persian bakery on Lake City Way would be able to point you the right direction...

Interested in the Pars on Lake City Way as well.  Looked it up online but couldn't find anything.  Anyone know where it is?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

lalala

Where on lake city? I need to get some lavosh tomorrow & would love to skip the drive across the bridge!

I have a feeling you're discussing the Pacific market, not Pars. Here's their info:

Pacific International Gourmet Foods 12332 Lake City Way NE Seattle WA USA (206) 363-8639

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien