• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrots

Rachel Perlow

Classic: first boil them, cook them through, of course, until soft, then shock them. Heat a saute pan, glaze them with chicken stock, butter, salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken stock has reduced and coats each little darling.

When time and energy converge, I like them steamed, then sauteed briefly with onions and butter (giving the onions a head start in the butter while the carrots steam).

Whole steamed is also a favorite, and takes less alignment of the stars.

Coriander sounds good.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

On the other carrot thread, there is a mention of "carrots with marsala and lime marmalade."

That sounds wonderful, but the link is broken.  Is anyone else familiar with this dish?

Jaymes, if you use the link to get to the main website then click on recipes.

from there select "more recipes" from under the pictures, scroll down to vegetables and the recipe is there and the link clicks.

Hey, thanks. The recipe mentions marsala and I'm wild about anything with marsala...

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I make glazed carrot timbalies for special ocassions... always loved... but not for those following diets.... this recipe makes 10 3oz. servings. Scale as needed.

Ingredients:

2.0 pound Carrot

6.0 tablespoon Butter

1.0 cup Water

5.0 tablespoon Sugar

3.0 each Egg

1.0 cup Cream, Heavy

Instructions:

peel carrots and cut into chunks. Put in saucepan with the water, butter,

and sugar. Cook till the carrots are tender and the water is evaporated.

Puree the carrots, adding the cream and the eggs.

butter or spray the silicone muffin pans (medium size). I've tried them

without butter, and then I had to scrape around the sides of the form to

release the timbalies.

Put into medium sized silicone muffin pan (about 3 oz portion to each form)

Cook in a water bath at 350°F for about 30 minutes or till set.

Yields about 10 3oz. portions.

I like 'em roasted with garlic and thyme. I've been known to roast 5 pounds of carrots with two heads of garlic. It's like crack.

I slice the carrots into 3/4 inch angles, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme, peeled cloves of garlic, and roast at 425 for 30-40 min, shaking the pan or stirring after about 20 min.

By accident discovered a <i>carrot dish</i> that ate with

dinner tonight.

<br><br>

Bought 6 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breast pieces and

wanted to do <b>something</b> with them.

<br><br>

So, took 8 C Chardonnay wine, reduced to 2 C, added 2 C

chicken stock, 12 ounces of each of carrot, celery, leek, and

yellow globe onion, all julienned, and 10 ounces of sliced

white mushrooms and made a <i>vegetable stock.</i>

<br><br>

Lightly sauteed the chicken pieces and deglazed the saute pan

with the stock and then made a sauce with white roux, whipping

cream, and egg yolks.

<br><br>

Put the chicken pieces in the sauce and heated gently to 145 F

to finish the cooking without overcooking the egg yolks.

<br><br>

So, for dinner, had some of the chicken and sauce with some of

the vegetables as a side dish.

<br><br>

A curious thing about the vegetables is that they were pretty

good with mild well blended but still somewhat aromatic

flavors -- tough to tell what vegetables were in the mixture.

<br><br>

So, for just carrots, if combine them cutting and with

proportions as here, then they can become a side dish with

mild blended aromatic flavors.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

I like to glaze them in butter with parsley, lemon zest (sometimes I add a very small squeeze of lemon juice), a very small pinch of sugar or a small amount of honey (maybe 1/2 tsp of honey), salt and pepper, and chicken stock. Reduce chicken stock until carrots are firm but done. I slice the carrots the way mentioned above - slice, turn the carrot 1/4 turn, slice again, so there are, I think, 5 or 7 sides to each slice. We had a few leftover the other evening, so the next day I tossed them into a simple warm pasta dish I was making. They added a lot of flavor and character to the pasta dish.

Linda

I like 'em roasted with garlic and thyme.  I've been known to roast 5 pounds of carrots with two heads of garlic. It's like crack.

I slice the carrots into 3/4 inch angles, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme, peeled cloves of garlic, and roast at 425 for 30-40 min, shaking the pan or stirring after about 20 min.

Could you use rosemary instead of thyme?

Milagai

Wow, some fabulous ideas here. Thanks everyone! Keep them coming, and post some pictures of your carrot dishes!

Also: carrot halwa (plenty of recipes via google)

and carrot kosumalli (a salady thing grated carrots, lots of them,

seasoned with oil tempered with hing, mustard seeds, urad dal,

curry leaves and minced green chillies, salt and either a splash

or lemon juice OR finely diced excellent quality tomatoes,

sprinkled with cilantro. The carrots basically stay raw).

Milagai

I like 'em roasted with garlic and thyme.  I've been known to roast 5 pounds of carrots with two heads of garlic. It's like crack.

Could you use rosemary instead of thyme?

Milagai

oh definitely! I'd probably use a little less rosemary than I would thyme, but I throw like handfuls into the roasting pan. I've also done it with parsley, and when desperate, basil. I've also used dried thyme and rosemary and it turned out great.

Ah...Hiroyuki already said kinpira. Well, that is one of the few things I make with only or mainly carrots, but I just like to toss them in with all sorts of things.

They are really a great vegetable to put into stuffed items (fukuro-ni comes to mind at the moment), or rice dishes (from takikomi gohan, to rice pilaf dishes).

I don't think this idea was mentioned yet. The idea is from one of Patricia Wells' cookbooks and I think she calls them Provencal Carrots. I've been making them so long that I have no idea how much I've strayed from her method, though.

I slice the carrots with the thin slicing blade of the food processor. Put them into a lidded saute pan with butter and/or olive oil, perhaps 2 T. for a 3 qt. pan filled pretty full. Add peeled and smashed (or slivered) garlic cloves to taste (I use about three) Stir to coat with fat and cover. Cook on very low heat until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. They will braise in the fat and their own juices. Uncover and cook a few minutes longer to lightly caramelize, as desired, stirring rather more frequently. Salt and pepper to taste. I think the original recipe called for adding sliced Provencal olives at the end, but I don't do that.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Another idea that I originally got years ago from the back of something but heavily adapted is

Horseradish Cream Carrots with Sand

Steam or boil carrots. (This is a good one for those pre-peeled "baby" carrots.) Place into a gratin or casserole.

Mix equal amounts of mayonnaise and sour cream (about 1/4 c. each for 6-8 servings) and add a tablespoon or two of prepared horseradish and salt and pepper to taste. Thin with a bit of milk if it is very thick until you have a not-quite-pourable sauce. Spoon atop the carrots and sprinkle with buttered, fresh breadcrumbs. Bake in a hot oven (500 degrees) or broil for a few moments to brown the crumbs and start the sauce bubbling. This always gets scarfed up.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I've always got a small jar of coriander/cumin (50/50) powder at the ready, and it's just perfect on carrots....

Great idea! I've been doing the sort of the opposite. I'll put the sliced carrots into a bowl and mix them up with evoo, salt, pepper and lots of cumin. Roast them like the eG roasted cauliflower recipe. The delicious aroma as they roast fills the house. :wub: But the cumin flavor seems to evaporate once the roasting is done. Adding it on the back end of roasting is a great solution to this.

One preparation I have not made on my own, but have gotten extremely fond of, is the jalapeno-laced hot pickled carrots carried by some taquerias around here....

There's a taco shop on Mission Gorge (I want to say north of the Soup Plantation strip mall) that makes their own pickled carrots & peppers. I haven't tried them but just looking at them made my mouth water! :smile:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

..and carrot kosumalli (a salady thing grated carrots, lots of them,

seasoned with oil tempered with hing, mustard seeds, urad dal,

curry leaves and minced green chillies, salt and either a splash

or lemon juice OR finely diced excellent quality tomatoes,

sprinkled with cilantro.  The carrots basically stay raw).

Milagai

Thanks for the info, Milagai- that's what this must be:

gallery_21237_2037_3680.jpg

It's awesome. I've been thinking of duplicating it at home, and now I have a name for it and can hopefully get a recipe to start with (although the description is essentially a good enough recipe).

Toliver- I'm sure you will like the results when you add the spices late. Please post back.

Lotsa great ideas here, I'm going to try a bunch of 'em.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I don't think this idea was mentioned yet.  The idea is from one of Patricia Wells' cookbooks and I think she calls them Provencal Carrots.  I've been making them so long that I have no idea how much I've strayed from her method, though.

I slice the carrots with the thin slicing blade of the food processor.  Put them into a lidded saute pan with butter and/or olive oil, perhaps 2 T. for a 3 qt. pan filled pretty full.  Add peeled and smashed (or slivered) garlic cloves to taste (I use about three)  Stir to coat with fat and cover.  Cook on very low heat until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.  They will braise in the fat and their own juices.  Uncover and cook a few minutes longer to lightly caramelize, as desired, stirring rather more frequently.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I think the original recipe called for adding sliced Provencal olives at the end, but I don't do that.

You might like my recipe which I mentioned on the first page of this thread for what I call Sauteed Carrots (recipe is posted on Recipe Gullet), because it follows the same idea...cooking the carrots in butter and their own juices. The difference with our two recipes is I cut mine like julienne...longish, not rounds, and I add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup. It does not make them glazed as the liquid eventually evaporates. At the end, I take off the cover and let a couple sides of the carrots "blacken". Quite good. I like the variation you mention...will try them.

• 14 years later...

This is an old topic but I have a couple in the fridge which I need want to use. I like them simmered in a nice chicken stock but stars are not aligning. Serious Eats put up this compilation today.

I have enjoyed them best lightly nuked,and roasted with a bit of olive oil and finished with drops of balsamic. Wooden grocery ones require more of a boost in my experience.  You?

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/savory-carrot-recipes

• Like 1

Love carrots in all forms but raw. Roasted they shine the most, but they work great to flavor other dishes.

For tomato based sauces such as a ragu Bolognese, I avoid using too much carrots, because they can lead to a very distracting form of sweetness.

One tip - since carrots take longer to cook than most other vegetables in a stew / sofrito, I often partially cook them in the MW  before adding them in (slice them first or they might explode).

Some of my favorite carrot centric recpies:

Pasta with carrot, cream, blue cheese.

IMG_20200222_145137.thumb.jpg.5a098c66f8f1483a939b29b7c822bc8a.jpg

Carrot, paneer and coconut curry.

IMG_20191026_144524.thumb.jpg.a416949405618ce047c6e9be4ceed0bd.jpg

Frittata with carrots, cheese and five spice.

IMG_20191213_150520.thumb.jpg.046b3a06f53ffc7d8d685fdbf7ab8406.jpg

Roasted carrots with feta and Indian spices.

IMG_20190322_145854.thumb.jpg.3bf75580dde7ae203272402fa08d6989.jpg

Rice pilaf with carrot, raisins and spices.

PXL_20200905_104807539.thumb.jpg.51c252759f0ffc81d844c2e05c3820b0.jpg

Vegetable stew for couscous.

MVIMG_20171209_152058.thumb.jpg.bab4f27605537514cd7d213ceae52f5f.jpg

Moroccan spicy carrot salad.

IMG_20190929_201141.thumb.jpg.40b2659f62d13bd72c37b8f237642933.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

I like carrots cut into smallish pieces, tossed in oil & salt, baked / roasted in oven on 425 F.

Last time I did this, though, it didn't turn out as good as usual (didn't get caramelization).

I recently switched from olive oil to avocado oil, which supposedly is more tolerant to high temperatures. Maybe that's the reason.

how do I cook thee?  let me carrot the ways . . .

there's the concept of glazed carrots - this implies a bit of sweetness....

julienne the carrots - parboil about 8-10 minutes

drain, leave 1 tbsp water

add real maple syrup (fake stuff does not work....)

continue to cook

as the bubbles get smaller the maple syrup has thickened and coated the carrots.

the trick to this method is not to overcook them in the parboil stage.

the temp of a sugar syrup goes up dramatically as it thickens - one does not want to turn the carrot strips to mush.....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)

Anyone every do raw carrots like @Hassouni  mentioned in his blog?  

A word on the carrots and nuts: Ka3kaya doesn't serve alcohol, but these are VERY typical bar snacks in Lebanon. If you order a beer anywhere, you usually get carrots and nuts for free. The nuts usually include, at a minimum, peanuts and addictively salty pumpkin seeds in the shell (which I eat whole). The carrots are the real treat - long slices of carrots, doused in fresh lemon juice, and sprinked with salt, or in this case, cumin. I WISH bars at home did that!

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/142066-eg-foodblog-hassouni-2012-beirut-and-beyond/page/3/

I love carrots, especially raw. BUT. I can't remember the last time I had a really good sweet one. It doesn't seem to matter much where they come from. Farmer's market carrots don't seem to be a guarantee. I would be munching them all the time if they so often were not tasteless, woody or dry or were nothing but a fibrous core. And I adore carrot juice. If carrots were consistently sweet and tender I would have gotten a juicer long ago. Carrot and grapefruit juice is one of my favorite combos. Carrot and orange isn't bad either.