• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring Pea Soup

Cook456

What wine would you serve with a Spring Pea Soup?

A stock is made of celery and leeks, with a little garlic, and Chicken Stock. Then cream is added and then the fresh peas and fresh thyme.

Served cold.

I've served a hot pea soup with a 1994 Niederhauser Hermanshohle Riesling Spätlese (Weingut Dönnhoff, Nahe) before, which worked well. I'm not sure about it cold - but it should be refreshing.

I usually go with a dry amontillado with richer soups and sercial madeira with lighter ones - but these might overwhelm the sweet pea flavour. Possibly a white Bordeaux? Chenin sounds nice too! With the cream a bit of acidity would be good....hhmmm, maybe a fino sherry? Manzanilla may be a bit too austere....

Just my meanderings.....

Hope it works out well, no matter what you chose!!!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Not sure I'd serve wine with that soup. But if it is a must, I'd go with a fino sherry. If you're not a sherry type of person, then a falanghina might be nice.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm with Brad on this one. I don't like to pair soups with a full glass of wine. It's just too much liquid too early in the meal and just fills everyone up too soon.

A small 2 oz. glass of sherry is a much better pairing. I like the idea of a glass of Amontillado or maybe a Palo Cortado.

If you really can't bear not to serve wine then try a Gruner Veltliner from Austria or a Txakoli from Spain. Both pair well with vegetal flavors.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol