• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Degustation

baw

I wouldn't recommend a dish (I'd recommend a 10 course tasting), but rather a wine - the txakoli wine is delicious. 

Txacoli goes really well with much of their food. One of the great things about txacoli is that its acidity makes it pairable with a huge range of flavors. That's one of the reasons that it's far and away the most popular drink at the tapas/pintxos bars of Spain's Basque region, which incidentally are part of the inspiration for Degustation in the first place.

So finally after much reccomendation on these boards I am going to try Degustation tonight and plan to do the 10 course tasting. I recently returned to Ko and it will be interesting to compare the tasting menus.

So finally after much reccomendation on these boards I am going to try Degustation tonight and plan to do the 10 course tasting.  I recently returned to Ko and it will be interesting to compare the tasting menus.

See you there!

Have to give Degustation a serious shout out. We did the ten course tasting and it was terrific. Love the various broths - parmesan, sereno ham, etc. We had to call mercy by the time we got to dessert because we were too full. The corn and pork fritter was amazing. Other highlights were the almond soup, the sea trout, the scrambled duck egg with the lamb bacon, crispy rabbit and the potato and oxtail cannoli. Only a few quibbles - 4 dishes contained eggs and some were back to back (scrambled duck egg followed by poached chicken yolk with fava beans). We also had a late reservation (it was all we could get) and the place was pretty empty which I don't mind but they were clearly cleaning and packing up for the night during our last few courses. I am not a big fan of open kitchens because I don't particularly like watching people cook (professional baggage I guess) but I really don't like watching people clean. These minor points aside, I was just delighted with the food and this place should really be on everyone's must visit list. Outstanding!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. Too bad you didn't have room for the dessert, though. If it was that brioche, it was amazing!

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. Too bad you didn't have room for the dessert, though. If it was that brioche, it was amazing!

I was also there that night and it was the brioche and I was happy I crammed it into an already full stomach. I really enjoyed the duck egg as well as the oxtail. Also, I really liked the amuses they brought out (the tortilla I believe?). Unfortunately I didn't have the almond soup, but I guess that is something I saved for when I come back in the hopefully near future.

I was also there that night and it was the brioche and I was happy I crammed it into an already full stomach. I really enjoyed the duck egg as well as the oxtail. Also, I really liked the amuses they brought out (the tortilla I believe?). Unfortunately I didn't have the almond soup, but I guess that is something I saved for when I come back in the hopefully near future.

We specially asked to substitute it per a suggestion on this board. I think they added it as an extra course. It was wonderful. The quail egg tortilla was terrific as well. How would you compare the meal to Ko?

Edited by Mussina (log)

We specially asked to substitute it per a suggestion on this board. I think they added it as an extra course. It was wonderful. The quail egg tortilla was terrific as well. How would you compare the meal to Ko?

I enjoyed both restaurants about equally. The one place I think where Ko is better is in the variety of dishes they serve. As I believe you mentioned my tasting menu had at least 3 dishes where egg was the central ingredient. Now they were three good dishes but some more variety would have been better.

• 1 year later...

Went here last night. Got very lucky as I was in the area and they had room for 2. That was some great meal. Really enjoyed everything about it. Like others have said how does jewel bako have a star but this place doesnt.