• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pea shoots

lperry

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Does one cook pea shoots?

And, if so, how?

I'd eat them raw.  But I only grew pea shoots one year, and now I can no longer have a (balcony) garden.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I only recall having them once, at Thomas Keller's French Laundry. In was a new and fresh take on peas and carrots. Just divine.

But I don't remember how they were done.

I ate a few this afternoon in a ham sandwich. They tasted a bit like watercress but not as bright.  Raw, they didn't taste of peas.

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

At least 1.412 billion people in China.

Any cooking method to cook will work.

dcarch 😄

Some of us are not in China.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Quick wok stir fry with garlic. 

Ditto. Cooks down quickly.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

6 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Romertopf duck with not very successful pea shoots.

IMG_4844Cropped.thumb.jpg.d88bc58cbcf2f7f4c404a9e2883681aa.jpg

Perhaps they were a bit overcooked?

I'm slightly baffled here. Why do you want to cook them? They are so good Raw in a salad or in a wrap.

If you do cook them, they need to be stir fried for just a minute or two and if you use them with other vegetables they should go in the very last thing.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

not very successful pea shoots.

Can you say a bit more about what you disliked about them?

Looking at the recipes where I’ve cooked them, they were always part of mix of vegetables rather than solo voyagers. 
Sometimes, they are more leafy and other times more…well…shoot-y and the latter definitely benefit from some companions. 

• Thanks 2

@TdeV 

id say , think os pea shoots  

grilling romain 

not as a vegetable   i.e.  something to cook

but as a garnish,  it does matter a bit

on their maturity

fhink

lettuce :  Salad,  root beef sandwich  

like that

grilling romaine lettuce  is one thing

but P.S,  are not romaine

flash Wok'd  10 seconds

would be nice.  as th P.S'swould ick uo

the garlic , ginger etc

from the Wok as you addd those ingredients fist

in moderation

so you cab taste the shoots,

they don't really taste like peas

more like mild green shoots.

• Thanks 1

I had had the pea shoots raw in a sandwich that afternoon. I did not find they had a noticeable taste.

I put them in the Anova oven at 200°F 100% steam for about 5 minutes. Also no noticeable taste.

Not very satisfactory.

Edited by TdeV
Addendum (log)

1 minute ago, TdeV said:

I had had the pea shoots raw in a sandwich that afternoon. I did not find they had a noticeable taste.

I put them in the Anova oven at 200°F 100% steam for about 5 minutes. Also no noticeable taste.

Not very satisfactory.

Ouch way too much heat - they just want a kiss or added as garnish on a hot dish

Those as you note more young vines than shoots. The ones I see alongside bean sprouts in Asian market are more like a tender sprout.  Like the alphalpha sprouts  and radish sprouts sold in clam shells.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Those as you note more young vines than shoots. The ones I see alongside bean sprouts in Asian market are more like a tender sprout.  Like the alphalpha sprouts  and radish sprouts sold in clam shells.

It's quite common around here that what @pastrygirlhas are called pea shoots even though they're much older than the recently sprouted shoots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

It's quite common around here that what @pastrygirlhas are called pea shoots even though they're much older than the recently sprouted shoots.

so cooking technique advice might confuse...perhapos an image of raw by the question person would help her

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I tend to differentiate. We get pea sprouts

1168197368_peasprouts.thumb.jpg.875aa57d53d22653cbaa1f6815a106da.jpg

and we get pea shoots

634785546_peashoots.thumb.jpg.e3671c3b8213ee70898b76138b13c946.jpg

The sprouts need wilting at most. The shoots need a minute or two in the wok. The only difference really, is age.

If it's any comfort the Chinese names are equally confusable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks for everyone's advice. It doesn't help that I have no memory of Thomas Keller's pea shoots and carrots dish. Which in turn my boyfriend's mother made for me in my teen years. A rabbit hole. 🙄

• Like 1