• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Show and Tell: Knives

_john

1 hour ago, palo said:

Attractive handles, but that's probably their main selling point

p

Natural ironwood is offered but costs extra.  I am fine with fiberglass.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

@btbyrd  I ended up with the Zwilling Kramer Chef's Knife 

Not only is it stunning but razor sharp too.  Notice the flat spot on the handle for the right hand pinch grip which makes it very comfortable to use.

(There's probably a name for that.)

Thanks for your advice, this is a wonderful knife.

37768.jpg

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

Speaking of choil - I ordered this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007SPKPRI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally paid $15.00 and liked it so much I thought of getting another, but it was out of stock for months - back in stock but now $19.00 I ordered a second.

The choil on it is about 1 mm and it has a flat cutting edge - not a great knife but extremely thin - great for vegies, cheese etc

p

1 hour ago, lindag said:

@btbyrd  I ended up with the Zwilling Kramer Chef's Knife 

Beautiful! The Zwilling/Kramer Meiji line is very nice and I'm sure you'll get a lifetime of joy from it. Such good looking knives!

2 hours ago, palo said:

Speaking of choil - I ordered this from Amazon:

Good find! Some even less expensive knives that are highly regarded in the knife world are the offerings from Kiwi (a Thai brand). They're made from soft stainless (so the edges don't last super long) but the blades are very thin and cut well. You can get a pair of them for like $12 on Amazon. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

@ btbyrd alright you talked me into it - I didn't need another chef knife and the set you mention was $20 CDN - I opted for the single 7.5 inch nagiri type for $15 CDN:

https://www.amazon.ca/7-5-Chefs-Knife-22-Kiwi/dp/B00549RFIC/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2I7KTZPUK36ZR&keywords=KIWI+Knife&qid=1661368612&refinements=p_85%3A5690392011&rnid=5690384011&rps=1&sprefix=kiwi+knife+%2Caps%2C266&sr=8-11

p

43 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Good find! Some even less expensive knives that are highly regarded in the knife world are the offerings from Kiwi (a Thai brand).

No chef’s knife but I have a number of the Kiwi utility and paring knives and they are amazing for the price. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Do handbag knives count?    I travel with my trusty carbon steel Opinel #10.    One never knows when a sausage or pot of rillettes or wedge of cheese or a pear will present itself.  Essential for street markets and impromptu picnics.

Knife in your handbag?  My kinda gal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have always assumed that.   But so should the ubiquitous gentleman's pocketknife?

Doesn't a pocketknife fold into its handle? Your Opinel probably has a sheath it's in, no?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I believe the Opinel #10 is a folding knife.  I also have to say, that the styling is simple and aesthetically pleasing and absolutely unthreatening.  To me, it would be the perfect picnic knife.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Doesn't a pocketknife fold into its handle? Your Opinel probably has a sheath it's in, no?

26 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I believe the Opinel #10 is a folding knife.  I also have to say, that the styling is simple and aesthetically pleasing and absolutely unthreatening.  To me, it would be the perfect picnic knife.

Yes, the Opinel does fold and has a sliding lock to prevent damage or injury731068206_ScreenShot2022-08-25at7_18_35AM.thumb.png.6e87d5a39e150c92785cbb57b1947cba.png.   

The biggest problem with a pocket(book) knife is remembering to move it to checked luggage when traveling.

eta I notice that the pictured knife if INOX    Both of mine are vintage and carbon steel.    As a French woman told me, no need to wash them.  Just wipe them on a piece of bread.   The sausage or cheese fat is perfect protection.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 3

eGullet member #80.

I've been known to rock an Opinel as a steak knife. I can't abide when you order a steak out and they bring you a dull ass serrated knife that's been through the dishwasher ten thousand times. I'm partial to the slimline No 10, which is just above the No. 8 in the picture below. The top knife I use for calzones.

0834CDE3-0ED3-4879-98F9-2647BB215CB5.thumb.jpeg.2c219cb135229d0e576350ad5d26fe60.jpeg

But the real beast is this fellow. A birchwood burl Laguiole from Fontenille Pataud. 

1152ECE5-ABE2-4AC5-A3DD-979806D437F9.thumb.jpeg.efae362b058732cc67c9ff7e6be046e7.jpeg

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yes, the Opinel does fold and has a sliding lock to prevent damage or injury731068206_ScreenShot2022-08-25at7_18_35AM.thumb.png.6e87d5a39e150c92785cbb57b1947cba.png.   

The biggest problem with a pocket(book) knife is remembering to move it to checked luggage when traveling.

eta I notice that the pictured knife if INOX    Both of mine are vintage and carbon steel.    As a French woman told me, no need to wash them.  Just wipe them on a piece of bread.   The sausage or cheese fat is perfect protection.

I had one of those. The problem was that the lock was loose so I was forever poking my leg or finger with the tip. Even if it was in the lock position there was enough play that I would get stabbed.

• Sad 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

9 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I've been known to rock an Opinel as a steak knife. I can't abide when you order a steak out and they bring you a dull ass serrated knife that's been through the dishwasher ten thousand times. I'm partial to the slimline No 10, which is just above the No. 8 in the picture below. The top knife I use for calzones.

0834CDE3-0ED3-4879-98F9-2647BB215CB5.thumb.jpeg.2c219cb135229d0e576350ad5d26fe60.jpeg

But the real beast is this fellow. A birchwood burl Laguiole from Fontenille Pataud. 

1152ECE5-ABE2-4AC5-A3DD-979806D437F9.thumb.jpeg.efae362b058732cc67c9ff7e6be046e7.jpeg

Someone has a knife fetish ;)

Oh, and from a legality perspective, one can carry a pocket knife (in Canada, at least) as long as the blade is not wider than your hand and its clipped on your pocket (visible, not a concealed weapon).

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion - the 2 Kiwi knives arrived and are wicked sharp.  Very thin blades, great for veg prep.  Certainly not super high quality, so I am curious to see how the edge holds up, but for $10/knife - a bargooon!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I got a new knife today.  UPS delivered it to the wrong address.  I am very out of sorts.  And amazon does not sell sorts.

No but take comfort from the knowledge that if they did and you had actually bought some they would caution you about buying more. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog