• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Show and Tell: Knives

_john

I'm showing a few of my knives for entertainment purposes only.....

I was hoping to find SOMEONE who would like to revive the Sesame Street classic "Which One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other".    :biggrin:

gallery_23738_4581_256.jpg

The boning knife at right.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm showing a few of my knives for entertainment purposes only.....

I was hoping to find SOMEONE who would like to revive the Sesame Street classic "Which One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other".    :biggrin:

gallery_23738_4581_256.jpg

I gotta go with that orange scaled RaRa Furi, it just looks lost there.

"It's like Betty Crocker and Charles Manson had a love child" - Anthony Bourdain

I gotta go with that orange scaled RaRa Furi, it just looks lost there.

In all fairness, I do have to say...although the thing is haunted with demonic Ray-cackling every time I pick it up, it has some good weight to it and after I got it professionally sharpened it does a fine job. It is definitely the inside joke of my knife collection and will remain prominently displayed between my two light sabre Shuns.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

What can I say, I have a set of Emril paring knives and they do their assigned job really well, so they stay! BAM!! :blink::biggrin:

"It's like Betty Crocker and Charles Manson had a love child" - Anthony Bourdain

gallery_48344_5855_68971.jpg

Left to Right:

Cleaver "For Pork" from a Chinese supermarket.

8" Mundial Slicer

8" Mundial Bread knife

10" Mundial Chefs knife

Lee Valley peasants cooks knife < crikey, this thing gets sharp.

6" Santoku Knife - Tosagata from Japan Woodworker.

Really Cheap 6" chefs knife. I've had this thing for ages, it doesn't really keep an edge, but I can get it sharp and it fits my hand.

Henkels 4 Star paring knife

Victorinox paring knife.

This are my everyday knives and such. I don't keep my entire knife roll at work. I usually don't have a need for every knife in it, so I just keep the "essentials."

gallery_47876_4493_430348.jpg

Left to right:

9 1/2" Chefs/Gyutou, Masahiro

9 1/2" Slicer/Sujibiki, Masahiro

6" Boning, F. Dick (My last knife from school in the process of being phased out for the 6" Masahiro Honesuki/Boning)

5" Utility, MAC

Tourné

8" Palette Knife, Williams Sonoma (this is the palette knife of choice for TFL and alumni)

4" Offset Palette Knife

Smooth Steel

Also included:

Drag peeler

Set of ring molds

Sharpies/Pens

Bottle Opener/Wine Key (Essential for the after work beer! :)

Paint Brush (Currently in use for my foie dish at the moment)

Not pictured:

Plating/Saucing Spoons

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

I must surely remember to take all the stickers off of my knife handles before taking a photo of them :raz: (many of which I have bought based on the recommendations here....Octaveman?????). I do have them on my magnetic holder in a position to show all the japanese letters!!!!

edited due to hitting the submit button too soon

Edited by eldereno (log)

Donna

gallery_23727_2765_3931.jpg

New knife I got a flea market. It looks like it was once a bigger knife that broke and was ground down to a honesuki. Very handle heavy but that makes it feel quite nimble, great boning knife. Can anyone identify the maker? It is probably made in Sakai if it is from this area.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I kept all the information and stats on all the knives I've bought over the years. I cannot be as precise as many of you. They are a mix of Sabatier, some CS (which sharpen well), some Wustoff classic, several different Japanese knives. My favorite now is the Japanese Gyoto. I probably can go and find the info but.......too tired right now. Anyway....here are some pics. Heck, now I'm worried there may be some stickers still on them :biggrin: .

gallery_44782_5908_106068.jpg

gallery_44782_5908_147612.jpg

gallery_44782_5908_30414.jpg

Boy, I didn't think my walls were that dirty. Good thing it is Spring Cleaning Time!!!

These are not all of my knives. I do have some in a knife block that I bought over 30 years ago at a "show" at my sorority. They have served me well. I keep them there but rarely use them. Can't even find the manufacturer on the internet. I should post a picture of them someday to see if anyone recognizes them.

I also have a Forschner chef knife and a paring knife that I keep to take on vacations :rolleyes: . Need sharp knives wherever I am!!!

Donna

Picture029.jpg

clockwise

ateco ring molds

whet stone

Wusthof 5" Utility

Wusthof 3" Paring

Wusthof 6" Cleaver

Wusthof 6" Hollowed Chef Knife

Wusthof 8" Chef Knife

Wusthof 8" Carving Knife

Wusthof 8" Serrated Knife

Cheap Spatula

Sharpie Markers

230mm Hi Stainless Japaneese Yanagiba (unknown maker)

Fish Spatula (Kuhon Rikon Switzerland)

Microplane

Chef Knife Gaurd

Wusthof Kitchen Shears

Wusthof Zester

Drag Peeler (Kuhon Rikon Switzerland)

Amco Tongs x 2

Wusthof Apple Corer

Knife Edge Gaurds

The knife roll itself is made by Dickies, but its being replaced by a Wusthof 17 Pocket.

Edited by 317indy (log)

• 2 weeks later...
gallery_22252_4789_122935.jpg

That may be the coolest knife I've ever seen - don't put it in the dishwasher. :biggrin:

What does zogon mean? Are the eyes a different metal, brass perhaps?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hi Tim,

Watanabe is known for his excellent out-of-the-box (OOTB) sharpening on new knives that there honestly was no need to do anything further to the edge. What you see is what he did and it is very very sharp and with very nicely refined bevels. When the time comes to touch up this baby I will most definately follow Watanabe's original bevel angles. All of his gyuto's are made with blue steel as the core surrounded by iron and the core is most likely the #2 variety given the cost. Blue steel #1 is typically a more expensive steel and not as readily available.

Speaking of bevel angles, one thing that Watanabe did was to make the back of the knife almost flat while putting the majority of the combined bevel angle on the front. I'm not sure if he does this with all his gyuto's but I'm guessing mine is like this to help keep the stones from coming into contact with the engravinging while sharpening. It's very clear to see but not from any of the pics above. It will actually make sharpening much easier...and less scary for me.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Just got this insanely beautiful gyuto made by Shinichi Watanabe yesterday.  The engraving is a Ryu Dragon with Zogan eyes.  Words cannot describe.  Had to share.  Hope you enjoy the pics. 

All I can say is "WOW!!!!!!!!"

Donna

Thanks Peter.  I'm still wrestling with the thought of using it or not.  Zogan means "an inserting eye" and are made with 24k gold.

For the record, the eyes look much more golden than brassy. I wondered about the toughness of gold on a knife's blade. I say use it - but only when people are watching, dragon side out.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

but only when people are watching, dragon side out.

You got THAT right. It's funny, I won't have a problem raking it across wetstones but I'm hesitant to use it to cut veggies. I will most definately show this sucker off when I do finally start using it. I'll even stand at an angle for optimal viewing. I re-etched my Hattori KD for the first time a few weeks ago and I've been using that beauty as my show-off knife lately. That's going to change soon though. I don't buy display knives so I'll use it.

That's quite a piece, very nice pick-up ! I'd say use it, it is worthy of a wall mount for sure.

I've always had trouble keeping things as closet queens. An heirloom has much more meaning with the patina of time.

-Jimmy

Typos are Copyrighted @

Here's another one I just received. Made by Murray Carter and is a 200mm Funayuki (all purpose) from his stainless Fukugo-zai line of knives. This is made with Super Blue steel as the and core surrounded by softer stainless.

The profile

gallery_22252_4789_308734.jpg

The geometry of the blade

gallery_22252_4789_8735.jpg

The handle made from Ho wood

gallery_22252_4789_98564.jpg

Nice shot of the makers label

gallery_22252_4789_130022.jpg

Edited by Octaveman (log)

Just got this insanely beautiful gyuto made by Shinichi Watanabe yesterday.  The engraving is a Ryu Dragon with Zogan eyes.  Words cannot describe.  Had to share.  Hope you enjoy the pics. 

Oh my goodness, congratulations Bob on a fabulous piece! Amazing.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Well I finally consider my knife kit to be complete. The only piece I think of getting in the future would be a deba for fish, but that is not necessary for me now. So here is my full working kit. Thanks to some of the members for their helpful input.

gallery_57745_5980_173216.jpg

First the knives (L-R)

- Steel

- Togiharu Inox Steel Slicer

- Global chef's knife (for the tougher jobs)

- Togiharu carbon steel Gyutou

- F-Dick offset serrated knife

- Mac japanese vegetable knife

- Tojiro boning knife

- Misono petty

- Arcos paring knife

- Victorinox bird's beak

Other stuff:

- Long cooking tweezers

- Small plating tweezers

- Offset mini spatula

- Mini silicone spatulas