• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

18 hours ago, lindag said:

@btbyrd

I'm a little confused here.  The knife that I would buy, say from Cabron Knives, won't be as thin as yours?

That's correct. The previous owner of my knife had it thinned by the fine people at Japanese Knife Imports. Zwilling introduced a "Version 2" of this knife with a micarta handle and improved grind, and that blade is thinner than the V1 but mine is super duper thin.

If you're looking for a thin chef's knife that you can buy off the shelf, the Takamura R2 210mm gyuto is an excellent choice. These are one of the classic "lasers" that are very thin and move easily through food. It'd be like the big brother to your VG10 santoku.

8 hours ago, KAD said:

what are those cool stainless trays

It's a yakumi pan. Japanese mise en place container.

btbyrd

btbyrd

18 hours ago, lindag said:

@btbyrd

I'm a little confused here.  The knife that I would buy, say from Cabron Knives, won't be as thin as yours?

That's correct. The previous owner of my knife had it thinned by the fine people at Japanese Knife Imports. If you're looking for a thin chef's knife that you can buy off the shelf, the Takamura R2 210mm gyuto is an excellent choice. These are one of the classic "lasers" that are very thin and move easily through food. It'd be like the big brother to your VG10 santoku.

8 hours ago, KAD said:

btbyrd

btbyrd

17 hours ago, lindag said:

@btbyrd

That's correct. The previous owner of my knife had it thinned by the fine people at Japanese Knife Imports.

8 hours ago, KAD said:

btbyrd

btbyrd

5 hours ago, KAD said: