• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Addicted to Coke – the Kosher for Passover kind

ronnie_suburban

The only two Coca-Cola products that are made KFP to my knowledge are Coke Classic and Sprite. And the diet versions of both.

The Sprite is good too, if you like Lemon-Lime flavors.

I'd really like to see a KFP Barq's Root Beer and KFP Fanta Orange.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I haven't been able to find that CokeBlak in a KFP version

I daresay that by next year they may well add other flavors ... I think they are satisfied that they have done the KFP for their primary products, CocaCola and Diet Coke more than adequate for the moment.

This is a bit more about the topic of Kosher for Passover Coke: the story behind why Rabbi Tobias Geffen made Coke kosher for Passover

I was, for many years, a member of Shearith Israel synagogue here in Atlanta (during Rabbi Ribeye's rabbinate there) and the actual story is very much what you read in the link ... it is said, perhaps in jest, that Rabbi Geffen signed a pact to never disclose the ingredients in CocaCola ... some say that if one reads down the Hebrew lettering on his tombstone, the letters spell out that formula ... maybe ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Well, while I'm normally a non-cola soda drinker, but the posts here and elsewhere in the food groups got me interested in Kosher Coke, so I started hitting various NJ supermarkets with good Kosher sections. Thought I'd gotten lucky at the Foodtown in Freehold when I saw an official Coca-Cola cardboard sign that said, "Look for the Yellow Cap for Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola". Unfortunately, it was taped under an empty shelf. "Yeah, I'm looking...." I thought to myself.

Decided to stop into the Foodtown (same owner) in Manalapan, NJ and found it. Bought 4 2-liter bottles. Unfortunately, altho' they have a lot of shelf space for 1-liter bottles and cans of Dr. Brown, they don't carry Cel-Ray, only the Cream and Black Cherry. (But, they were having a sale on Goya sodas, so picked up some Grapefruit and "Champagne Cola").

On the other hand, they did carry Pickled Pigs Feet (been craving them ever since I'd read about Fat Domino returning to his New Orleans house and finding a gallon jar of PPF had floated up to his bedroom). Tell you what- you get funny looks when you buy Kosher Coke AND Pickled Pigs Feet.

And, to top it off, they also had 20 pound bags of Royal Oak Lump Charcoal (which I'd never seen at Foodtown) on sale for $9.99- a better price per pound that Wal-Mart (and lump is about the only item I'd ever buy there- wait- they did have a lot of flavors of Cott soda in 12 oz. glass bottles- $2 a 4-pack- last time I bought lump, so that makes 2 items I'll allow my to buy at W-M) or Agway, my usual supplier in NJ for lump.

That Manalapan Foodtown has very nice service, my favorite food store, although they don't carry everything. I stocked up twice on my KFP Coca Cola there.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Unfortunately, altho' they have a lot of shelf space for 1-liter bottles and cans of Dr. Brown, they don't carry Cel-Ray, only the Cream and Black Cherry. 

If I'm not mistaken... and I may be mistaken... the only flavours kosher for Passover are the Cream and BC.

I haven't had any Coke this year - but the Passover Pepsi tastes the same to me :blink:

That Manalapan Foodtown has very nice service, my favorite food store, although they don't carry everything. I stocked up twice on my KFP Coca Cola there.

When I moved down to Monmouth County and the factory where I worked still existed in Edison :rolleyes: , that store became my "regular" stop after work (well, besides venturing down further to Wegman's for some NY state "specialties" like Cranberry soda & Grandma Brown's Beans- oh, and going over to Genuardi's (now closed) in East Windsor for Grapefruit soda and Superfresh (A&P) for coffee) but haven't been there often since losing my job two years ago.

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SEPARATE KOSHER BUTCHER?

Not that I bought from them often, but it was a real neat thing I thought. I was surprised to see it turned into a cheese area. (Also, the rather large "natural food" section that they'd developed over between dairy and the bakery seems to be gone - or did I miss it?). Gotta say, they sure do cram a lot of interesting stuff into such a small store. I kinda like it BECAUSE it's small- the thought of drudging thru some "SUPER" store usually makes me take a pass on food shopping....

Unfortunately, altho' they have a lot of shelf space for 1-liter bottles and cans of Dr. Brown, they don't carry Cel-Ray, only the Cream and Black Cherry. 

If I'm not mistaken... and I may be mistaken... the only flavours kosher for Passover are the Cream and BC.

:

Didn't mean to imply that I was looking for KOSHER Cel-Ray- ANY Cel-Ray would be OK by me. Called Canada Dry (see separate thread below) and they SAY they still make it but I can never find in any central NJ supermarket I frequent.

Didn't mean to imply that I was looking for KOSHER Cel-Ray- ANY Cel-Ray would be OK by me.  Called Canada Dry (see separate thread below) and they SAY they still make it but I can never find in any central NJ supermarket I frequent.

That's ok.. I was just trying to explain why there were so many cream soda and cherry bottles/cans on display...

Jason:  I'd disagree with one thing in your blog, "sucrose" is the sugar extracted from both cane and beets.  Your blog indicates it is from sugar beets only.

---Guy

My understanding is that Coca-Cola of Hawthorne, NY, who makes the OU KFP stuff for the Northeast, uses beet sugar, not Cane sugar. Cane sugar is a very expensive ingredient and it has other residual compounds in it to give it that "caney" flavor besides just the Sucrose that is processed.

Coca-Cola finally responded to my email inquiry, too late for this Passover but perhaps in time to buy a few left over bottles, this year. According to Coca-Cola's Industry and Consumer Affairs department they use sucrose made from cane sugar in their kosher brand Coca-Cola.

Jason:  I'd disagree with one thing in your blog, "sucrose" is the sugar extracted from both cane and beets.  Your blog indicates it is from sugar beets only.

---Guy

My understanding is that Coca-Cola of Hawthorne, NY, who makes the OU KFP stuff for the Northeast, uses beet sugar, not Cane sugar. Cane sugar is a very expensive ingredient and it has other residual compounds in it to give it that "caney" flavor besides just the Sucrose that is processed.

Coca-Cola finally responded to my email inquiry, too late for this Passover but perhaps in time to buy a few left over bottles, this year. According to Coca-Cola's Industry and Consumer Affairs department they use sucrose made from cane sugar in their kosher brand Coca-Cola.

Thank you for passing along that information. The value of the few cans I still have left just skyrocketed :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

---Guy

Thank you for passing along that information. The value of the few cans I still have left just skyrocketed :biggrin:

=R=

Congrats on your cola windfall! I hope that I can still get in on the cane cola action. If I am lucky the price may have dropped as the stores clear out the last leftover bottles. :wink:

I gave myself a sugar headache the other day, drinking too much of this stuff alongside 2 pieces of chocolate mousee cake. Next time I'll skip the cake! :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Oh how I wish I had seen this thread sooner!

I did manage to score the last bottle my local Publix had- and now I want more!

Why couldn't Coke offer this year round as a premium option?. This is a hundred times better then any of the flavors they have offered as of late.

Well, while I'm normally a non-cola soda drinker, but the posts here and elsewhere in the food groups got me interested in Kosher Coke, so I started hitting various NJ supermarkets with good Kosher sections.  Thought I'd gotten lucky at the Foodtown in Freehold when I saw an official Coca-Cola cardboard sign that said, "Look for the Yellow Cap for Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola".  Unfortunately, it was taped under an empty shelf.  "Yeah, I'm looking...." I thought to myself. 

Was doing some grocery shopping at this same Freehold Foodtown and found an end display of Coke products (opposite dairy) and there was a whole shelf of yellow capped 2 liter bottles (no sign). AND there was a sale on all Coca-Cola 2 liter bottles-

79 cents (with customer card).

Also, their "natural foods" section finally got in new stock of Blue Sky Grapefruit, so I picked up 6 of them (altho', I don't understand why they don't market these by the six-pack- I would have bought 2 six's but I'm not about to buy 12 loose cans rolling 'round my basket) and also found a new soda line - White Rock Organics- with "organic can sugar". At least, I hope it's new- there's some sediment floating around (kinda like the old Squirt).

http://www.whiterockbeverages.com/Organics.cfm

• 3 weeks later...

---Guy

=R=

I managed to get a couple of cases last week. Fresh Direct still had bottles available. They will let you order up to 16 bottles in a single order.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, dear God I love Coke. total coke ho.

And, I had to give up it, doing the low carb thing.

why does diet soda have to taste like ass? life is unfair.

(Breaking into tears of grief) :sad:

---------------------------------------

I'm sad today too because I've now fully depleted my stock of KfP Cokes. I'd had one every morning since I started this thread and finally ran out on Friday. What a treat it was having them around. I can hardly wait until Passover '07! :wink:

Edited to add: Before I'd found the KfP Cokes, I was really enjoying my Coke Zeros. Now, I'm sad to say, they no longer taste anything like 'regular' Coke to me.

=R=

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sad today too because I've now fully depleted my stock of KfP Cokes.  I'd had one every morning since I started this thread and finally ran out on Friday.  What a treat it was having them around.  I can hardly wait until Passover '07! :wink:

Edited to add:  Before I'd found the KfP Cokes, I was really enjoying my Coke Zeros.  Now, I'm sad to say, they no longer taste anything like 'regular' Coke to me.

=R=

Alas, my source has also dried up and I have just one bottle left. I gave a friend a glass the other day and he said "Hey, this taste different!". I asked him "in what way?" He couldn't quite describe it but said it was better than usual. So I guess at least we are not imagining that there is a difference. :-)

• 9 months later...

Kosher-for-Passover Coke :wub: arrives at my local supermarket this week!! That, and the first day of spring (and my softball team's first practice) -- what more could one ask?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just saw a big display in the local Wegman's (Wilkes-Barre PA). Priced at $1.39 per 2 liter bottle, last year it went on sale for $0.79 for a 1-week promotion. I think I'll wait a while to see if that happens again, then I'll stock up.

---Guy

The '07 KfP, 12-ounce cans are now available in the Chicago area!! I kicked off the season by purchasing a couple of cases. I was also delighted to see an expiration date of December 2007 on the bottoms of those cans.

With Passover just around the corner, it's nice to know that I could potentially go long enough to carry me to Hannukah. I don't think I'll take quite that much inventory but a few more cases are certainly on the radar.

=R=

The '07 KfP, 12-ounce cans are now available in the Chicago area!!  I kicked off the season by purchasing a couple of cases.  I was also delighted to see an expiration date of December 2007 on the bottoms of those cans.

With Passover just around the corner, it's nice to know that I could potentially go long enough to carry me to Hannukah.  I don't think I'll take quite that much inventory but a few more cases are certainly on the radar.

=R=

bought my first case this week. yum!

Picked a few bottles up at the Freehold (NJ) Foodtown. No sign or separate display this year, just "yellow caps" mixed in amongst the HFCS stuff (but, all Coke products were on sale, so it was worth the search and bottle shuffling).

Interesting article on Kosher Coke (tho' nothing new really- same old claim by Coca-Cola that it doesn't taste any different)- perhaps the most interesting thing is that it's in a UK paper (where, as noted, all Coke has sugar). Perhaps Big Brother Coke suppresses the story in the US media<g>.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2037084,00.html

Edited by jesskidden (log)