• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demo: Mirror Glazing Technique

dejaq

I may have to try other alternatives as well. Pate a Glacer is easy to find through online vendors but none of them seem to ship to Canada. Canada is in a whole time warp thing when it comes to shopping online. I think people camping at the summit of Everest have better odds of getting stuff online than we do here.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I may have to try other alternatives as well. Pate a Glacer is easy to find through online vendors but none of them seem to ship to Canada. Canada is in a whole time warp thing when it comes to shopping online. I think people camping at the summit of Everest have better odds of getting stuff online than we do here.

Qzina in Toronto lists it in their catalogue.

Here's the recipe I used:

120 g Cream

145 g Water

160 g Sugar

60 g Cocoa (I used Valrhona)

12 g Gelatin (I used silver cause its what I had)

Cream, sugar and water to a boil, add cocoa and bring to boil.

Cool to 103 F and add gelatin

Set in bowl of ice water and bring to 75 F

Thanks Kerry. I have the pdf version of their catalog but must have overlooked that when I read through it. I was going to contact them about some other stuff anyway and find out if I can order direct or if I'm going to have to deal with them through work (the owner is good about letting me use the business to order personal stuff from places that won't do sales to individuals, the perks of an independent business and a boss who's also a friend) so I'll check into that as well.

Thanks for the recipe Rob, I'm going to give it a try. I still want to give the glazes in this demo a try but yours will give me another alternative (always a good thing) and something to try while I gather what I need for the others.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Kerry. I have the pdf version of their catalog but must have overlooked that when I read through it. I was going to contact them about some other stuff anyway and find out if I can order direct or if I'm going to have to deal with them through work (the owner is good about letting me use the business to order personal stuff from places that won't do sales to individuals, the perks of an independent business and a boss who's also a friend) so I'll check into that as well.

Thanks for the recipe Rob, I'm going to give it a try. I still want to give the glazes in this demo a try but yours will give me another alternative (always a good thing) and something to try while I gather what I need for the others.

I'm quite sure you can buy direct. I buy from Qzina here in Richmond and I'm just a Joe Schmoe who bakes at home. You don't have to have an account or anything. Just call up, place your order and then pop by to pay and pick up.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 weeks later...

I had someone PM me concerning how hard it was to find Pate' a glacer.

here is another formula (newer) for the dark:

boil:

1 quart heavy cream

19 oz brown sugar

19 oz granulated sugar

12 oz butter

arrest heat and whisk in:

21 oz cocoa powder

25 sheets (bronze) gelatine pre softened in water

*thin with corn syrup to desired level about 20-30 ounces

run through with immersion blender or robot coupe to smooth out.

the white is best suited BTW by adding titanium dioxide and before use (once liguid and marble effect) raining in additional titanium dioxide -this creates a truly spectacular "nebula" like stratofication of colors between white and dark with some commenting of hues of blue picking up.

good luck to all

Thanks dejaq! That was me that sent the message but, thanks to some help from Kerry Beal, I found both white and dark pate a glacer. I'm already getting everything ready to go for working through your awesome demo. I already keep most of what's required on hand anyway. I was only missing the pate a glacer and I don't have bronze gelatin (for the white glaze), just gold, but I'll adjust or just order some bronze. I know this isn't going to be anywhere near as easy as you make it look but it's going to be fun.

• 10 months later...