• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2002-2007)

Holly Moore

And just to remind Evan that he should not miss these dinners  :raz:

gallery_21049_162_41978.jpg

I am sure the notes will appear soon...people are still recovering fron this amazing meal and fabulous wines.

Hey Percy, how much of that Lynch Bages do you have?

I am surprised no one noticed, BREAD, he actually served bread, have those at EG had a sublte influnce on him?

I must know.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Hey Percy, how much of that Lynch Bages do you have?

Actually, this one and a Chateau d'Yquem were generous donations from the Doc...thanks Doc!!

Doc, nice donation. Wish I were there to try the d'Yquem.

I have realized why I cellar great wines now after having experienced Shola's masterful dining experiences. I can't think of a better place to bring some of these stellar wines than to SK

I am interested in hearing how that apple icewine was.  I was able to get a couple of the cryoextracted "neige" from la cache de la pomme but still await the "frimas" which is produced from naturally frozen apples.  It is not sold in the US but is easily purchased in Canada. 

There is a discussion here on Domaine Pinnacle Apple Ice Wine and my foray into trying this outstanding drink. It totally blew me away and I am buying another bottle here in Atlanta, Georgia, USA :wink: which is where I found the first one, after much searching.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Just a few quick comments for now as I am not yet back home and just able to check in for a few moments.

This meal was simply outstanding. All the wonderful comments about Shola and Studio Kitchen are true. It is just a unique and wonderful experience. I am so happy that my wife and I had a chance to experience it in its current iteration. You can be sure that whatever Shola does in the future whether it is a return to this format or something else I will be there (though not nearly as often as I would like unless he moves into northeastern NY :wink: .

All the courses were sensational. The wine pairings were superb with only one that provided a less than optimal reflection of pairing synergy. The wine was excellent and the course superb, but together the mutual enhancement lagged that of the other courses.

I will post more specifics and perhaps a few additional photos later after I return home if I can somehow find a way to supplement Jeff's amazing pics.

The last comment I will make for now is that the comeradery present that evening amongst all the participants was also wonderful and special. it is fun putting faces to names and people one has come to know as part of a virtual community. The conversation was interesting and effortless. It was an absolute pleasure to meet everyone for the first time or to renew aa previous acquaintance.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've gone and edited in both the dish descriptions and wine pairings under Jeff's photos so it reads a little more easily and all in one post.

I have to add my thanks to everyone for making this meal such a pleasure. We had more than enough wines to choose from and Shola outdid himself once again. As docsconz mentioned there was only one not so great wine pairing for the evening. Sadly, the gorgeous Meursault (which was indeed glorious on its own) just didn't stand up to the richness of the Foie Gras custard and spring egg. <sigh> We should all have such problems. :rolleyes: The rest of the wine pairings were spectacular and I want to particularly thank John for his generosity in taking some of the big guns out of his cellar for our mutual enjoyment. I'd never tried the Ygrec before and it was a revelation. Would that we'd had enough of it to drink through the whole meal - I can't imagine there was a dish it wouldn't compliment. :wub: The happiest accidental pairing for me was the Gruner Veltliner with the Jerusalem Artichoke soup. Just mineral and earthy enough to stand up to the vegetal flavor of the soup but with still enough acid to tackle the Grapefruit froth. That worked out just right. The reds we had with the Pork dishes didn't suck either. :wink:

Unfortunately, the photo of the dessert-after-dessert didn't come out. I finally got to make the Moscato Floats that I've been jonesing for with that delicious Lemon-Chaource ice cream! Yummy and fun!

We're all anxiously awaiting Shola's arrival back from his travels to see what new tricks he's learned.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Here are a few more pics that I thought might be complementary to Philadining's:

gallery_8158_2684_36168.jpg

Another shot of the jerusalem artichoke soup with grapefruit foam.

gallery_8158_2684_10515.jpg

The Gruner Veltliner... this grape is just soooo food friendly....

gallery_8158_2684_42712.jpg

This dish was so decadent I thought it deserved another photo.

gallery_8158_2684_63998.jpg

A lovely wine on its own, it was unfortunately overmatched.

gallery_8158_2684_23605.jpg

This may be my favorite white wine. Its versatility was apparent with sips saved for the other dishes.

gallery_8158_2684_79353.jpg

This wine surprised me. It was bone dry. The fruit was a bit lacking and I think this wine, though still quite good is perhaps on the other side of its prime.

gallery_8158_2684_85334.jpg

I just like this image.

gallery_8158_2684_6028.jpg

Another great food grape, this wine is similar to the verdejos from Spain's Rueda.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Great pix Doc, thanks for adding those!

And just to keep the historical record straight, we started the evening with a "Chateau Frank" bubbly. And along with welcoming the fine company at SK that night, we drank a toast to Willy Frank, a tireless booster of New York state wines, who recently passed-away. Given that half the table was from NY, it seemed appropriate!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I had to run for a few minutes :smile:

gallery_8158_2684_105224.jpg

Another view of a great dish. This slow cooked, but not sous vide cooked dish was literally perfectly cooked. I love the sous vide cooking technique because "perfection" or other interesting effects are relatively easy to achieve on a consistent basis. This dish demonstrates what can still be achieved by the skillful cook with older techniques.

gallery_8158_2684_27830.jpg

gallery_8158_2684_3022.jpg

These two went side by side with the pork. It was an interesting mix as they highlighted different aspects of the dish. Both were successful. Some preferred the Madiran, while others preferred the Pauillac. I was happy to have the opportunity to drink both with that incredible dish.

gallery_8158_2684_5127.jpg

It is funny. To me this was the least special dish of the evening, but that is like considering what is the least beautiful aspect of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling. It was a delicious dessert but compared to the other dishes of the evening it was lacking in pyrotechnics and surprise. Nevertheless, the flavors were clean, the presentation beautiful and it was a fine food finish to a truly fabulous dinner.

gallery_8158_2684_15099.jpg

No, this is not another photo of the jerusalem artichoke soup with grapefruit foam. It is a photo, Katie, of the "Moscato Float"! :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc Sconzo you are my hero! :biggrin: I've just finished drooling over your Mexico trip pics and now you are in Philly! Killing me! :raz:

It is funny. To me this was the least special dish of the evening, but that is like considering what is the least beautiful aspect of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Wow, you philly EGers are a lucky bunch!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Doc Sconzo you are my hero!  :biggrin:  I've just finished drooling over your Mexico trip pics and now you are in Philly!  Killing me!  :raz:

This little interlude to Philly and NYC has set me off my timetable for recounting my Mexico trip. One of these days maybe I will learn to do one thing at a time :laugh:

It is funny. To me this was the least special dish of the evening, but that is like considering what is the least beautiful aspect of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Wow, you philly EGers are a lucky bunch!

-Mike

Indeed they are. They have had something truly special in their midst. I am very fortunate to so far have been able to experience this once. I will make it a priority to return to this or whatever variation Shola offers up in the future after his sabbatical. One of the many nice things about this Philly eG crowd is that they are well aware of what they have and seriously appreciate it.

Twitter - @docsconz

I know the prices are very reasonable, but if you all dont mind me asking, how much is a meal such as this. Is he making money on this venture or is he cooking "purely for the love" of the food. Either way, great pics, and wish I could have the chance to experince this wonderful gem!!

I know the prices are very reasonable, but if you all dont mind me asking, how much is a meal such as this.  Is he making money on this venture or is he cooking "purely for the love" of the food.  Either way, great pics, and wish I could have the chance to experince this wonderful gem!!

The prix fixe is now $100, up from a ridiculous $50 in the last year or so. At gross receipts between $800 or $1,000 twice weekly (I was told that's his schedule) I suppose he's making money. But if you consider his food costs (i.e. $3.00 per egg, etc) I'm sure the love of food factors highly in the mix.

I know he does private parties and consulting and suppose that's where the majority of his livlihood is earned. I could be wrong and ask others with more knowledge to jump in and correct me here if so.

I have spent $100 and more per plate at many restaurants around the world and not felt it was worth the expense, but having had the opportunity of being at one of these dinners, it was worth every cent and then some.

To add to Doc's sentiment, we in Philly do know what we have here and fully appreciate it and look forward to whatever is next for Shola..it will always be amazing, shock and awe come to mind!

Shola may or may not make any money on these dinners. I certainly hope he does, but whether or not he does or how much he does, there can be no question in my mind now that I have experienced it but that he is doing these dinners "purely for the love of the food".

Twitter - @docsconz

I've put away a sum of money in an envelope that is labeled "straight A's go to Studio Kitchen this summer". My daughter, who is 16 and very much enamored of fine dining, has been waiting patiently for the time to arrive for us to visit the Studio Kitchen. Just this week she chose NOT to have our monthly 'big deal' restaurant meal, and instead we went to a pho house. She wanted to save the difference towards our visit to Philadelphia and SK. She just came over to me and tearfully told me that SK will be closed now, indefinitely. We have watched this thread for almost 6 months now, and I eagerly await my chance to share this thrilling experience with my daughter. Kiddle and I wish to be part of an eGullet party upon his return!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

philadining, doc and others.

thanks so much for the reports and pictures!! they're great!

this has probably already been covered upthread - but how much for a shola experience?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I have no idea what Shola charges to cater a dinner, but Jeff L nailed the Studio Kitchen tab in post 466. That cost is the net cost of the dinner inclusive of tax and service. Wine, transportation and lodging are obviously additional. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

gallery_8158_2684_15099.jpg

No, this is not another photo of the jerusalem artichoke soup with grapefruit foam. It is a photo, Katie, of the "Moscato Float"! :wink:

My hero! Thanks John - you're the absolute best! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I know the prices are very reasonable, but if you all dont mind me asking, how much is a meal such as this.

We each paid $50 (plus service) for the the dinner that started this thread. (July, 2002)

It has taken Shola a few years to reach the still a bargain $100 price (gratuity included.)

I've organized a couple, been a last minute replacement (twice - with strangers wise enough to book a dinner,) and eagerly accepted several other opportunities.

If Ben Franklin lived today, perhaps the famous quote would be - Studiokitchen is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I'm sure I'll be happy again...

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I know the prices are very reasonable, but if you all dont mind me asking, how much is a meal such as this.

If Ben Franklin lived today, perhaps the famous quote would be - Studiokitchen is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I'm sure I'll be happy again...

Well said, bravo, Charlie. I couldn't have said it better!

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I've put away a sum of money in an envelope that is labeled "straight A's go to Studio Kitchen this summer". My daughter, who is 16 and very much enamored of fine dining, has been waiting patiently for the time to arrive for us to visit the Studio Kitchen. Just this week she chose NOT to have our monthly 'big deal' restaurant meal, and instead we went to a pho house. She wanted to save the difference towards our visit to Philadelphia and SK. She just came over to me and tearfully told me that SK will be closed now, indefinitely. We have watched this thread for almost 6 months now, and I eagerly await my chance to share this thrilling experience with my daughter. Kiddle and I wish to be part of an eGullet party upon his return!

I'm not sure precisely how Shola keeps his heartstrings tuned, but I find that story cute enough that I cannot imagine you'd have much trouble securing a date yourself. Then you can just wave the little red SK kerchief (in the ISO thread) and we'll all come charging.

I'm not sure precisely how Shola keeps his heartstrings tuned, but I find that story cute enough that I cannot imagine you'd have much trouble securing a date yourself. Then you can just wave the little red SK kerchief (in the ISO thread) and we'll all come charging.

I promise to wave the flag promptly. We will be thrilled to dine amongst fellow eGulleters. We've got enough for the meals, gasoline, a few bottles of kiddle's favorite water, and a decent bottle of *something* for the adults, so far. Next: funds for a hotel room... I'm sure that Shola will return by the end of summer, right? :unsure:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06