• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2002-2007)

Holly Moore

Although I thought I'd lost it, I actually accidentally came upon the menu that Holly desribes above with my wine pairing notes on it. Better late than never I guess, so here are the wines we enjoyed with our incredible feast at StudioKitchen.

Coriander Scented Red Lentil Soup with Grilled Pandan Leaf Shrimp and Argan Oil

Roederer Estate NV Sparkling Wine

- The Roederer was a lovely aperitif/accompaniment to our first course. Roederer Estate is great sparkling for the money. Full and yeasty, it was a nice contrast to the soup. The lentil soup, whilst tasting "legumey" (if that's a word) was completely lacking in the mealiness one would expect from a pureed bean soup. This was silky and delicious and the grilled shrimp was perfect with it.

Rabbit Confit and Maui Onion Ravioli with Fennel Caramel and Almond Praline

Two Hands Angel's Share McLaren Vale Shiraz 2002

- This shiraz was absolutely luscious and a perfect match with the rabbit. This wine is viscous and inky in the glass. Smells like all manner of "dark things" like chocolate, cooked down black currant jam and spicy notes of anise in the background. Yow! Although it would probably have been ideal to have this course just before dessert, it was too late to change the order Shola had the courses prepared and we managed to forge bravely ahead.

Oil poached West Coast Halibut, Sweet Pea and Clam Stew and Horseradish Emulsion

Unti Vineyards Grenache Rosé 2002

- I've waxed rhapsodic about this wine all over these forums, so I won't go the Full Monty again. But this wine has so much going on, and is so full bodied for a pink wine that it's incredibly food friendly and particularly complimentary to a gutsy fish dish such as this one. Since the grapes are picked for this at a pretty advanced stage of ripeness, there's a depth of flavor and color that you rarely see in a rosé. What can I say. I love this stuff. I love this winemaker. It's all good.

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder with Parsnip Foam and Grain Mustard Jus

Keegan Russian River Valley Pinot Noir 1998 (in magnum)

- This is just elegant California Pinot Noir at its best. Lots of cranberry and currant and a lot of depth of flavor. This is silky smooth and the earthy undertones in the wine were a perfect compliment to the parsnip/root vegetable earthiness in the dish. The pork shoulder was etherial. Thanks Shola!!

Pineapple Ginger "Ravioli", Almond Black Pepper Croustillant, Lemon Brie Ice Cream with Basil Oil

Domaine Larredya Jurançon Moelleux 2001

- This is really interesting dessert wine. It's sweet, but also has a nice tension with the acidity and honey flavors. This pairing was right on with the rich and citrusy Lemon Brie ice cream, as well as the spicy/sweet combo of the pineapple and ginger flavors. The basil oil was such a neat touch to this dish that sort of brought the flavors back down to earth. Literally.

All in all although our menu was a bit out of "order" in terms of the dishes and wine progression, it was a spectacular meal shared with an appreciative audience.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 7 months later...

Anyone heard from Shola lately? I heard he is hanging out in the NYC area....it would be a great loss to Philly if he decides to move :sad:

BTW, if he is around and some eGulleters would like to band together for a meal/experience, count me in.

Edited by percyn (log)

Anyone heard from Shola lately? I heard he is hanging out in the NYC area....it would be a great loss to Philly if he decides to move  :sad:

BTW, if he is around and some eGulleters would like to band together for a meal/experience, count me in.

I saw Shola just before Christmas - he popped in to Rouge and said hello. We created a new dessert idea together- a Moscato Float with the yummy Lemon-Brie Ice Cream he makes. Yow! I can hardly wait to actually try that with him. It has potential to be truly awe inspiring.

He is well and busy doing the catering in NYC thing a few days per week, but StudioKitchen is still very much an ongoing concern in the present tense. He hasn't mentioned any plans to move, at least to me. We could certainly try and arrange an eGullet outing sometime in February perhaps. Anyone else interested?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Anyone heard from Shola lately? I heard he is hanging out in the NYC area....it would be a great loss to Philly if he decides to move  :sad:

I saw Shola just before Christmas - he popped in to Rouge and said hello. We created a new dessert idea together- a Moscato Float with the yummy Lemon-Brie Ice Cream he makes. Yow! I can hardly wait to actually try that with him. It has potential to be truly awe inspiring.

He is well and busy doing the catering in NYC thing a few days per week, but StudioKitchen is still very much an ongoing concern in the present tense. He hasn't mentioned any plans to move, at least to me. We could certainly try and arrange an eGullet outing sometime in February perhaps. Anyone else interested?

of course

I'd be very interested if there is still room.Just about any night is okay with me.

Depending on my travel schedule, I'm SO there, if the gods are willing.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Very much so.

There's already enough of us NOT counting spouses and spousal equivalents to fill up TWO dinners at least. Let me e-mail Shola and ask about his upcoming schedule and how many of us he'd be willing to jam into that dining room at once. We might have to do this in stages... :blink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Can he squeeze in one more do you think? I've been reading too much about this place not to try, and then seeing the pictures of the dishes! Well! Please count me in.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the organizational talents of Andrew Fenton, a group of us were able to enjoy StudioKitchen last Thursday evening. The menu was a Shola tour de force, as usual, and I think Chef was inspired by having an adventurous bunch of eGulleteers at his dosposal, to dazzle with inpsired culinary creations such as the following (wine parings in italics):

Amuse Bouche:

Sweet Corn custard

Onion, Maple, Sherry Vinegar Caramel

Smoked Duck

Pearl Onion garnish

Domaine Barmes-Buecher Cremant d'Alsace Brut, 2001

Red Lentil Soup

Smoked Duck and Truffled Artichoke Salad

Pistachio Oil

Bodega San Vidal La Cosecha Amontillado Superior

Roasted Scallops with Sansho Fennel Powder

Warm Wheatberry Salad

Rabbit Confit and Maui Onion Dumplings

Anise Hyssop Jus

Villa Sparina Gavi, 2003

Foie Gras Custard

Black Truffle Glaze

Porcini – Tallegio "Panini"

Le Clos Baudoin Vouvray "Les Argiles", 2003

Salt Baked Lamb Loin

Mirepoix of Eggplant, Pistachio and pickled Golden Raisins

Pistachio Praline

Celeriac Apple Cream

Curry Leaf Jus

Saintsbury Reserve Pinot Noir 2000

Vanilla and Ginger Scented Peaches

Almond Orange "Nougatine"

Mandarin Syrup

Peach Cider

Lemon Yoghurt Sorbet

Tokaji Desswffy Kastély Fordítás 1999

Sadly, everyone forgot their cameras, so there's no photographic evidence of this amazing feast. My personal favorite was the Foie Gras Custard with the Panini on the side. Regular grilled cheese has been ruined for me forever now. Nothing else will ever compare to that with a smear of the foie gras custard on it. Really inspired.

Great food, wonderful wines, gracious host, fabulous company and a great time was had by all. Much laughter ensued by the end of a wine soaked and food sated evening.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks to the organizational talents of Andrew Fenton, a group of us were able to enjoy StudioKitchen last Thursday evening.

It's really hard to narrow-down any one thing to highlight about that meal, every bit of it was truly outstanding. What most amazed me was how vividly I could taste all of the diverse ingredients, yet they were all sitting in perfect harmony with one another. That sounds like an obvious goal of a chef, but I rarely encounter it as successfully achieved.

Katie was right about that panini: my grandmother made one heck of a grilled cheese sandwich, but she never put challa on a meat slicer, for an impossibly thin sandwich with an ideal buttery crunch. That crispness was a perfect foil for the rich foie gras, and the simultaneously sweet and earthy truffle syrup lifted it up out of buttery overkill.

That sweet corn custard with the sweet little onion...

The gradations of textures from the silky lentil soup, through the tender artichoke, though the barely chewy duck...

That rabbit ravioli along with a sip of the Gavi - magic. The scallop levitated by a splash of Vouvray. The lovely medium-rare lamb with curry leaf jus, spun around by multiple hints of pistachio...

That peach that tasted as much of ginger as fruit, from poaching for, what, a month and a half? All those are going to stick with me for a long time. Shola is an amazingly talented chef, and a gracious host.

And here's a tip: if you go, invite Katie. Those wine pairings were amazing and really lifted the meal up yet another level. And try to have a friend like Gary to smuggle spirits back from the Balkans.

It was really nice to meet some more eGulletarians, and share some food and drinks and laughs. I think Andrew and Chris pelting Gary with raisins was a little un-called-for, but hey, I'm new here.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Hard to say. Usually just best to call and leave a message with a few possible dates.

Then someone calls back and either one of those dates are good or they're not.

If not, you start a discussion on the phone about a good day.

Since Shola has more catering gigs now than when he started Studiokitchen,

there probably are less days available for dinner in Studiokitchen.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hard to say.  Usually just best to call and leave a message with a few possible dates.

Then someone calls back and either one of those dates are good or they're not.

If not, you start a discussion on the phone about a good day.

Email rather than phone. Shola much prefers it, he's pretty fast about getting back to you, and that way he can send you a list of dates.

Figure on a month or two out; more if you have to do it on a weekend.

Thanks Andrew for the info. Sorry I missed that dinner. I joined the board a bit late for that one I guess. Sounds like a classic. Would be nice to meet some of you guys one of these days. Maybe at SSOH!

evan

Dough can sense fear.