• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2002-2007)

Holly Moore

I had a wonderful dinner and a unique dining experience last evening at Philadelphia’s StudioKitchen. StudioKitchen is a studio apartment in West Philadelphia that has been designed into a sleek food preparation and dining space.

Three or four days a week Shola Olunloyo, who has cooked in many of the world’s more respected kitchen serves a four course dinner for eight guests. The cost is $50 plus gratuity and byo wine - a world class bargain.

StudKit-DessertSetup.jpg

Our menu for the evening:

Yukon Gold Potato and Gruyere Onion Souffle with White Truffle and Parmesan Broth

Spring Pea Soup with Tuscan Ham, Warm Mushroom, Confit of Duck and Truffle Ragout, Parsnip Puree

Fennel Salt Roasted Black Bass, Apple and Fennel Salad with Meyer Lemon and Miso Sauce

Sweet Cream of Peanut Soup, Extra Virgin Peanut Oil, Warm Chocolate Souffle with Mascarpone, Chocolate and White Pepper Sorbet

StudKit-Dessert.jpg

My two favorite courses were the Gruyere Onion Soufle for it’s blend of flavors and the Warm Chocolate Souffle which was deliciously understated - I was concerned that the flavors would overpower each other, coming off as a Reese’s peanut butter cup. Rather, the sweet peanut soup perfectly complemented the richness of the souffle.

As the group and Shola warmed up to each other, the conversation turned into an education, with Shola doing the teaching, a blend of his vast knowledge and great charm. We talked about the ingredients and preparation of each course, best cookware, best sources of supply (Shola air freights in more ingredients than he buys locally), and his plans for the future, starting and only starting with opening a small restaurant in the near future. Right now StudioKitchen both supports Shola’s catering business and provides a lab of willing gullets for testing menu items.

I told Shola I was worried that he will loose what’s so special about StudioKitchen when he evolves into a restaurant. He promises me he won’t. I’m hoping it will take him a while to find a location.

Studio Kitchen is usually booked at least a couple of weeks in advance. You can reach them either by email, studiokitchen424@aol.com or by phone (215) 662-5307.

And yes, the meal and the experience is worth the cab fare from New York City. And then some. Let me know if you need an eighth.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was able to secure reservation at studiokitchen next month, which I am highly looking forward too.

Sure was not an easy task convincing my wife this excursion is worth the drive from upstate N.Y. and worse yet that it would likely not be an appropriate setting for a ten month old baby girl and her baby sitting service would be highly appreciated because this is purely an educational experience. :angry: [Hopefully I'll be off the couch by new years] :wub:

But amends are already made because we plan to fit a dinner in at Vetri in early December also.

Wondering what peoples thoughts on Vetri are? Any opinions?

Robert. R.

Robert R

• 2 months later...

Is this a one man op? Great concept but it's amazing that he's making a profit - enough to support a catering business. Or is it something of a preview/marketing for it. In any case the dish shown looks beautiful and sounds like some interesting flavour explorations - like the white pepper sorbet.

Is this a one man op? Great concept but it's amazing that he's making a profit - enough to support a catering business. Or is it something of a preview/marketing for it. In any case the dish shown looks beautiful and sounds like some interesting flavour explorations - like the white pepper sorbet.

studiokitchen is not for profit.

it is mostly a one man op. he has someone come in most nights to clean the dishes, but that's about all. he cooks and serves.

it is a food studio that he set up to basically continue to hone his skills and develop a menu while he bides his time before opening a restaurant.

the catering business is more for profit though, although he keeps certain restrictions there as well, just not as many.

he also does cooking classes.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...

Wow this sounds like a great idea. I also read an article about him in the Philly Mag. Really good about how he "invents" his dishes.

Does anyone know how he got started doing the "StudioKitchen"? Does he ru7n it ou7t of his hou7se? Does he rent the physical plates, etc? Or does he own them? How long has he been doing this?

for the BYO does he give suggestions? Or is it just hit and miss for the diners?

I am really interested in some operational details of this concept because I do think it is a great idea.

Does anyone know how he got his first customers to show?

What a great idea....

Treat everyone the same, like a VIP...

Something gave its life for what you are about to eat... Respect the food...

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."

-Sam Ewig

must you be eight?

anyone free sat night?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

rob:

he runs it out of his old apartment. he no longer lives there, he just does food studio + catering business + cooking classes out of there.

everything is owned i believe.

he's been doing it for probably 2 to 2.5 years now.

he'll email you the menu about 2 days before.

take it to a really good wine shop, and if the people are on their game,

they'll be able to pair well.

be forewarned, the shop should have really knowledgeable staff.

lissome:

for most purposes, yes, you must be 8.

in other words, if he gets to know you, he'll agree to do 10.

but that's probably the limit. it's just him, no helpers.

i'm free. did someone bail on you?

:rolleyes:

i could be a host of sorts.

i've hosted 3 dinners there, none since he added the 5th course.

doubt you could get the date now if you didn't already.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

If seven other local or not so local eGulleteers are interested in putting Studio Kitchen to the test, I will be glad to set up a meal.

I know they are booked somewhat in advance. And I'd prefer to do this on a weekday. If you are so interested, why not confirm here with what weekdays in May you can not make it.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

sounds great. i was thinking next weekend but could too otherwise. how far is the drive from nyc?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I'm still game to set something up for late July then. August is pretty much out for me.

As to driving from NY, it's a realistic 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours if the traffic out of NYC isn't too backed up. You might consider the train. It would be easy for a local to pick you up at 30th Street on the way to Studio Kitchen which is just a few blocks from the station.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly:

To quote another infamous eGulleteer:

I'm in!

Keep me posted on the date. Week nights are much easier to book in this lifetime given Shola's popularity, and easier to do in summertime for me. I'll be happy to play sommeliere too, if the menu is in my hot little hands with enough lead time.

The train is a good idea for any out of towners that would wish to join us. It's a ten minute walk or a three minute cab ride from 30th Street Station to Studiokitchen.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

katieeeeeeeeeeee

when is the next SK dinner, i want in , i m sick of hearing about these fab meals, take me to your maker:)

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

• 3 weeks later...

I grabbed an opportunity to pinch hit at Studiokitchen on Friday night.

(The last minute request was placed on another Phila board.)

Shola was, as always, the delightful host who prepared a marvelous meal from scallops to salmon to lamb chops to dessert/cheese. The man insists on the best ingredients and adds his world-class skills to create a meal unlike any other I've had. (Except for the other times I've been there.) Marvelous flavors, interesting contrasts, amazing vibe in the place!

Mark and Darr made the Moore Bros. trip that evening, and they told us about the gang putting together the box of fine bottles we enjoyed.

I didn't take notes, I asked few questions, I enjoyed. Studiokitchen is a gem!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

• 11 months later...

Got back to Studio Kitchen with Katie Loeb and six other gullets. Another grand meal. Price is now up to $75 for 5 courses. Still too cheap, but don't tell Shola.

Started this time with

i6371.jpg

Coriander Scented Red Lentil Soup, Grilled Pandan Leaf Shrimp w/Argan Oil.

i6372.jpg

Rabbit Confit and Maui Onion Ravioli, Fennel Caramel, Almond Praline

i6373.jpg

Oil Poached Halibut with Sweet Pea and Clam Stew, Horseradish Emulsion

i6374.jpg

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder, Parsnip Foam & Grain Mustard Jus. This was a last minute change. The menu had promised pork belly. Takes something like half a day to roast. Shola has promised Katie and me a "Pork Belly Tasting." We're going to hold him to it.

i6375.jpg

Pineapple Ginger Ravioli, Almond Black pepper Croustillant, Lemon Brie Ice Cream, Basil Oil.

i6376.jpg

There was ice cream left over, so Shola passed it around. Neat both because the ice cream, a little warmer, had more of the brie flavor and because it symbolizes the dichotomy of the high level of Studio Kitchen's cuisine and the casual style of Shola's approach to the evening.

i6378.jpg

Throughout the meal Shola works between the kitchen and table. Finishing and plating the dishes, serving them, and explaining them. After the meal, a general bull session on the meal and Shola's ambitions for his food.

i6377.jpg

Studio Kitchen is actually the third floor of Shola's home. A large dining table seating 8, a turnout area, and small kitchen. The walls are for storage which makes for some stunning design presentations.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Next time a group of you decide to go and need a pair, please please let me know, we'd love to get back there. It's been way too long since I have tasted Shola's delights and would love to again soon! We rarely taste food that even approaches Shola's creations and creativity. This winter we ate at Blue Hill in NYC and we both agreed that it was in the Shola-style of cooking. But, it cost a lot more than Shola does! So keep us in mind! :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

My wife and I plus a few friends would like to sample the many skills of Sholo and StudioKitchen.

How does one set a reservation, e-mail, phone number. Are there any restrictions. Thanks in advance.

From everyone's comments this seems to be quite a dining experience.

Tom

Tom D

Studio Kitchen is usually booked at least a couple of weeks in advance.  You can reach them either by email, studiokitchen424@aol.com or by phone (215) 662-5307.

Info you requested is in the body of the post.