• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

StudioKitchen (2002-2007)

Holly Moore

Twice in three days? Isn't that a personal record Jeff?

you ever quit smoking?

you know how right before the date you set for yourself, you get like a full pack or two and just smoke the shit out of it?

that's kind of what philadining is doing with SK, before shola goes away for a while.

Twice in three days? Isn't that a personal record Jeff?

you ever quit smoking?

you know how right before the date you set for yourself, you get like a full pack or two and just smoke the shit out of it?

that's kind of what philadining is doing with SK, before shola goes away for a while.

Actually I think he once did three in six days. At this point, I don't blame him.

Between the truffle jus and maple vinaigrette, I see Shola is getting good use of that giant needle. I'm lovin' it. I wouldn't mind a shot of that cider of a few dinners ago, or maple vinaigrette right about now.

Jeff, those pictures brought tears to my eyes. Really. I'm a bit shy about hovering around Shola while he's plating the dishes, so it was great to see you document the process.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

It's JUST Shola. Or should I say, ALL Shola. Which is part of what makes it all the more special! :wub:

He does have someone come in to help with cleanup and dishes after the guests leave, though.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

great pic's philadining! last night was exceptional indeed.

a wine note: generally speaking shola's food seems to work best with halbtrocken rieslings, demi sec vouvray, white burg's, and champagne.a medium to full bodied red with the meat course.

we were kinda all over the place with wines last night, but the best matches were a sparkling ratzenberger '00 sekt with raw fish course, '02 latour chassagne montrachet with the cooked fish course, and an '02 cote de nuit village "la pretiere" from olivier rion with the rib eye. imo of course.

This thread is awesome. I really don't even know what most of the food is, but it's still great to read about. That rib-eye looks like something I'd order if I were about to be sentenced to death.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

gallery_23992_2591_12622.jpg

Ever wonder how one might get such a lovely spiral of sauce on a plate?

Does your microwave have a little wheeled turntable mechanism you can borrow for a few minutes?

gallery_23992_2591_40163.jpg

gallery_23992_2591_20445.jpg

gallery_23992_2591_29326.jpg

I think I could do that. But making that sauce out of something interesting, and whipping up something tasty to put on top of it, that's more of a challenge...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Some of the best pictures to grace this thread yet. And I like the inclusion of the "how-to's" for certain dishes. The unagi, foie gras, and maple injected egg dish looks ridiculous but also feasible to someone with my equipment and ability. I hope SK is back running by July or early August, I really really need to get there.

I have been lurking on this thread for the better part of 6 months, living vicariously through the experiences of the regular SK patrons -- and loving every minute of it. I consider myself to be a neophyte, at best, when it comes to the finer points of food preparation, wine pairings and overall culinary knowledge. With that in mind, I've been hesitant - nervous, even - to try to plan a visit to SK for myself. How could I, with my mediocre culinary experience and knowledge, provide the type of audience that would inspire Shola? How could I avoid asking "stupid" questions and/or provide the type of feedback that he would find valuable (other than just "wow, that was great!").

It was through reading this thread, however, that I came to realize that I really hadn't anything to worry about. I am, quite possibly, exactly the type of audience that Shola is looking for. Someone who loves food, loves GREAT food, prepared well. Someone who is willing...no, WANTS to experience new cuisine, foods, preparation methods, taste and flavor combinations. Someone who wants to understand the evolution of a dish -- the thought-process that goes into deciding that the tart citrus of grapefruit would provide the perfect complement to the earthy flavor of parsley root. Someone that wants to learn.

So, after finally having that epiphany, I decided it was time to gather my wife and group of friends who share my view of the culinary world and plan a dinner with Shola. Imagine my disappointment then, after coming back to this thread following a three week absence, to find out that SK is closing indefinitely! Heart-broken, crestfallen.....

My thanks to Jeff L for sharing the email response you received from Shola. That provides a ray of hope to me that SK will be reopening at some point. In the meantime, I wish Shola safe travels to Europe.

I would particularly like to thank philadining for the incredible photography and commentary on your dinners with Shola. It is no small time-commitment you have put in to sharing your thoughts, and I just wanted to say that, from those of us who haven't yet had the chance to experience SK for ourselves, it is much appreciated. And to all the other regulars as well - it is an absolute pleasure reading your opinions and experiences.

I would consider it a privilege to one day share a dinner at SK with any of my fellow eGulleters, and hope that we have the chance to do so. I've already learned a great deal from all of you, and would enjoy learning even more in person. Until then, I eagerly await the next set of dinner reports and pictures! At least through March...

-Brad

I have been lurking on this thread for the better part of 6 months, living vicariously through the experiences of the regular SK patrons -- and loving every minute of it.  I consider myself to be a neophyte, at best, when it comes to the finer points of food preparation, wine pairings and overall culinary knowledge.  With that in mind, I've been hesitant - nervous, even - to try to plan a visit to SK for myself.  How could I, with my mediocre culinary experience and knowledge, provide the type of audience that would inspire Shola?  How could I avoid asking "stupid" questions and/or provide the type of feedback that he would find valuable (other than just "wow, that was great!").

It was through reading this thread, however, that I came to realize that I really hadn't anything to worry about.  I am, quite possibly, exactly the type of audience that Shola is looking for.  Someone who loves food, loves GREAT food, prepared well.  Someone who is willing...no, WANTS to experience new cuisine, foods, preparation methods, taste and flavor combinations.  Someone who wants to understand the evolution of a dish -- the thought-process that goes into deciding that the tart citrus of grapefruit would provide the perfect complement to the earthy flavor of parsley root.  Someone that wants to learn.

So, after finally having that epiphany, I decided it was time to gather my wife and group of friends who share my view of the culinary world and plan a dinner with Shola.  Imagine my disappointment then, after coming back to this thread following a three week absence, to find out that SK is closing indefinitely!  Heart-broken, crestfallen.....

My thanks to Jeff L for sharing the email response you received from Shola.  That provides a ray of hope to me that SK will be reopening at some point.  In the meantime, I wish Shola safe travels to Europe.

I would particularly like to thank philadining for the incredible photography and commentary on your dinners with Shola.  It is no small time-commitment you have put in to sharing your thoughts, and I just wanted to say that, from those of us who haven't yet had the chance to experience SK for ourselves, it is much appreciated.  And to all the other regulars as well - it is an absolute pleasure reading your opinions and experiences.

I would consider it a privilege to one day share a dinner at SK with any of my fellow eGulleters, and hope that we have the chance to do so.  I've already learned a great deal from all of you, and would enjoy learning even more in person.  Until then, I eagerly await the next set of dinner reports and pictures!  At least through March...

-Brad

My pleasure Brad. I can now confirm having met Shola this past Tuesday that he will in fact be back, probably sooner than we thought. He is going to the UK for a month or so I think. I think I remember (through the haze of way too much great wine and food) that he'll be back in April/May or thereabouts. Philadining would have a better take on this as he is Shola's unofficial roommate!

Anyway, great that you are planning a visit to SK. I think you are right, you are exacxtly the kind of person Shola would like to see there. I think he really likes that people have a natural curiousity and yearning for knowledge as to how he does what he does with food. I particulary like the thread that Percy started for SK influenced home cooking. Of course, Percy is starting SK West in his home from what I've seen coming out of his kitchen. As Shola is so free to discuss everything with his dinners, this seems to be a logical evolution of the experience there.

It may seem intimidating to some, but like Philadining so aptly says "dude, it's only food".

As a poor student living on the other side of the state, I can only dream of the day I can afford experiencing SK. The photos and descriptions on this thread are gorgeous. The last few practically brought tears to my eyes. Thank you all for allowing me to live vicariously!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

Two quick thoughts:

It may seem intimidating to some, but like Philadining so aptly says "dude, it's only food".

To Jeff L's great post I would only add that eating there is one of the least intimidating dining experiences you're likely to have. Part of what is so remarkable there is the affable, warm, sharing atmosphere, a joie de vivre that suffuses the entire affair. Plus you can drink like a fish if you invite the right people :wink:.

As a poor student living on the other side of the state, I can only dream of the day I can afford experiencing SK.

Dude, if we can drive down from Providence, surely you can drive from western PA!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Two quick thoughts:

To Jeff L's great post I would only add that eating there is one of the least intimidating dining experiences you're likely to have. Part of what is so remarkable there is the affable, warm, sharing atmosphere, a joie de vivre that suffuses the entire affair. Plus you can drink like a fish if you invite the right people :wink:.

As a poor student living on the other side of the state, I can only dream of the day I can afford experiencing SK.

Dude, if we can drive down from Providence, surely you can drive from western PA!

Chris, I might be wrong but I don't think the drive is the point. Plus, he may be as far away as RI depending on where he lives in Western PA.

Shit when I was a student it was like where's my next cheesesteak or burger (some things never change!) The guy has no funds and let's face it, $100 per person is a lot even for us all grown up college degree with job/business' types.

I just marvel at phlox's sophisticated palate being a student and all. I make the assumption that phlox is actaully a first time student and not some 50 year old who has decided he needs a degree in something.

What a relief to hear that Shola will only be gone for a month or so! Hopefully Studiokitchen will be up and running soon after he gets back.

Philadining, thanks for posting those detailed pictures of dish assembly -- I think watching Shola put everything together is one of the best parts of the experience.

I particulary like the thread that Percy started for SK influenced home cooking. Of course, Percy is starting SK West in his home from what I've seen coming out of his kitchen.

Jeff, being one of the few people who has actually eaten what came out of both kitchens, I can honestly say that the results are worlds apart....one being edible and the other sublime :wink:

ETA: <begin plug> The thread Jeff L refers to is here </end plug>

Edited by percyn (log)

I particulary like the thread that Percy started for SK influenced home cooking. Of course, Percy is starting SK West in his home from what I've seen coming out of his kitchen.

Jeff, being one of the few people who has actually eaten what came out of both kitchens, I can honestly say that the results are worlds apart....one being edible and the other sublime :wink:

ETA: <begin plug> The thread Jeff L refers to is here </end plug>

Percy, I've seen the pictures and can attest, after meeting you, to your modesty. Although I haven't eaten at both kitchens, edible, now really.

• 3 weeks later...

StudioKitchen, March 17, 2006

gallery_23992_2676_45355.jpg

Jerusalem artichoke Soup with Grapefruit Froth

Frau Weingartner Wachau Gruner Veltliner 2004

gallery_23992_2676_30667.jpg

Foie Gras Custard, Spring Egg, Truffles, and Truffled Bread

Pierre Morey Meursault 2001

gallery_23992_2676_33552.jpg

Tomato – Combova Lime Gelee

Lobster Remoulade

Celeriac “Chantilly”

Puffed Rice

Chateau d'Yquem Ygrec vintage?

gallery_23992_2676_892.jpg

Foie Gras and Rabbit Terrine

Miso Lemon Curd

Asian Pear

Young Frisee Lettuce

Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling 1990

gallery_23992_2676_57188.jpg

Slow Cooked Ocean Trout

Yuzu kosho

Olive – Muscovado Streusel

Sorrento Lemon Oil

Creekside Farm Nine Herb Salad

Hope Estate Hunter Valley Verdelho 2005

gallery_23992_2676_63065.jpg

Slow Roasted Berkshire Pork Belly

“Preto Biologica” Farro and Proscuitto Cotto Stew

Braised Pork Cheek, Prunes, Bergamot Oil

Weis Beer Froth

Château Lynch-Bages Pauillac 1990

Château Bouscassé Madiran 2000

gallery_23992_2676_26012.jpg

Redcurrant Rhubarb Soup

Lemon – Chaource Ice Cream

Confit of Berries

Two Hands Brilliant Disguise Moscato 2005

Domaine Pinnacle Cidre de Glace 2001

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Amazing dinner. For me, it was a lot about new small touches with big results: the spring egg (new for me, that is) blending with the foie gras into pure tastebud gladness; the combova gelle, which had a fiercely tart kick of it's own, but picked up the tomato acidity in the lobster remoulade to striking effect; the yuzu kosho contrasting with the muscovado streusel; the farro stew; the lemon-chaource ice cream, much more lemony than I remember it in the past...

My favorite dish, in a tight race with the egg-foie gras amuse-bouche, was probably the lobster, which was such a surprising dish in so many such pleasant ways: how often have you had a lobster dish constructed around *acidity*?

The wines were excellent all down the lineup, but I'll single out for special thanks Dr. Sconzo's contributions: the Ygrec in particular was an extraordinary offering. Made me recall frequent past decisions to revisit white Bordeaux.

And just to remind Evan that he should not miss these dinners  :raz:

Oh the cruelty. Both bottles actually. I am interested in hearing how that apple icewine was. I was able to get a couple of the cryoextracted "neige" from la cache de la pomme but still await the "frimas" which is produced from naturally frozen apples. It is not sold in the US but is easily purchased in Canada. (Anyone going to Quebec- ever? PM me for lord's sake and we'll talk!!) Next time I go to SK (or west), I will bring some.

I was hoping to stop by, say goodbye to Shola and meet docsconz but with my folks in town it was a bit difficult to maneuver.

The meal looks fabulous and the crowd sounds like it was a winner group. I'd have only dragged y'all down if I were there - sniff sniff.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.