• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone tried Choco-pan?

Lauren

Hi everyone!

Has anyone tried Choco-pan? Did you like it? Could you describe for me the texture and taste?

I would go buy some of my own, but as there aren't any suppliers in my area, I'd have to order it. I thought I'd ask you all (deferring to your greater experience) before I do that.

Thanks so much!

Best,

Lauren

Edited by Lauren (log)

I've used it, the first time I used it (about 8 years ago) I thought it was great, but the other fondant I had was not great. A couple of years ago I bought some and now I don't think it is so great, could be because I have a better fondant(Petinice) now. It is more dry than my other fondant. Not unusuable but definately not as soft and elastic. It tastes ok, I have the white chocolate, but not so great that I wouldn't use anything else. I still have a couple of buckets left from that 2 year old order because I don't like covering cakes with it and use it mostly for decorations.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Hi Lauren, I only use bought fondant, I have made it in the past, but I did not think it was as good or easy to use as what I can buy. The manufactures probably have better sugars and chemicals than what we can purchase.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

That's been my experience as well. I have made fondant that I thought tasted better than bought fondant, but I can't seem to get it to be as pliable/elastic or as smooth as the bought version. You're right - probably ingredients they've got access to that we, unfortunately, do not.

I've ordered and used Choco-pan before.

I thought it tasted pretty good (I ordered the carmel flavor). Working with it was a bit tricky since you have to roll it thinner than other commercial fondants. But once I got the hang of it, it worked well.

Call Choco-pan - they'll send you out a nice batch of samples. I find it a little hard to use - it's very stretchy. I make a chocolate clay (chocolate couverture & corn syrup) and mix it with Satin Ice (Or Pettinice...acutally, now that I'm thinking of it, I use FondX now....) at about a 50/50 ratio. Gets the chocolate flavor with the useability of the Satin Ice (FondX). Hope that helps!

~Lisa

www.TheCakeAndTheCaterer.com

Bloomington, IN