• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating out with Dad

I will answer cubilularis entirely in quotes

but my Dad, who's coming over on Friday night, REALLY hates noisy places
Take dad to bin 941 and light him up
Have a look upthread at the criteria for the restaurants discussed above
Edited by ozver (log)

To continue the description of the meal we had at Aurora:

My dad had the Stone Ground Cornmeal Crusted Fanny Bay Oysters and he asked for them "crispy" like my mom makes them. They were cooked to order-a bit longer than Jeff usually cooks them, and my dad was a happy camper. Mom had the Halibut in Five Spice Broth, which she said was excellent.

Peter had the 2004 Nichol Vineyard Capriccio, which is composed of a mix of Pinot Noir and Gamay. This wine is a favorite summer patio wine of ours. He ordered the pork tenderloin with maple and mustard seed glaze, Okanagan goat's cheese and apple crumble. I had a bite of his dish with a sip of my Joie Noble Blend and it really matched well-a real "Eureka!" moment.

My dessert was the Vanilla Bean Pannacotta over roasted pineapple with the chocolate salad on top and fresh mint. I thought the mint really pulled this dessert together, brightened it up and married the ingredients together. I also kept sneaking bits of dad's dessert: chocolate paté with chipotle sorbet-a tango for the tastebuds.

I had the seasonal mushroom risotto, which was made exactly the way I like it-very stock-centered, as opposed to cream-centered, with nice big shavings of zingy cheese and had an extra bit of sweetness from the caramelized shallots that brought out the intense flavors of the mushrooms. Jeff says the mushrooms will rotate as they come in season. Guess that means I'll have to go back every month and order the same thing. The truth is my online handle should really be Mycological Mama...the Fungal Fox. Or not. I'll stick with the zucchini. :raz:

Since we're on the topic of "things to do with parental units", here is what we've been up to for the holiday:

On friday we bought chocolates and desserts at Chocoatl, then took the aqua bus to Stamp's Landing. We had a nice quiet brunch at Ocean 6 Seventeen, then popped over to Granville Island on the aqua bus and picked up some Halibut cheeks at the Lobster Man, and then made a stop at Oyama. I bought some Landyaeger, and some really nice soft goat cheese from Agassiz made by The Farm House, St. George. It's very flavorful--sort of in a state between a chevre and brie. I also bought some lamb terrine, (made especially for Easter) which had briny, tender lamb, with sun-dried tomatoes and herbs in the center

Saturday we went to Mix for lunch and brought back some apricot and white chocolate bread, which was amazing with the goat cheese. Our plans to go to the UBC Botanical Gardens were thwarted by the unseasonably cold weather, but heck, there's always shopping as an alternative form of entertainment! Mom had seen Lee's Chocolates on television, so we popped in and bought some treats for Easter. Can you believe the original owner is 100 years old this year!

This week we're going to hunker down and so some home cooking and spring cleaning (to burn off all those calories) and then we're headed for a weekend on Saltspring Island. Papa and Mama Zuke are also going to take advantage of the free babysitting to go on a couple of dates. Yahoooo!

I hope everyone had a good Easter. What's the cure for a chocolate hangover?

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West