• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ's

Matt R.

So I'm in the market for a propane BBQ. I understand the concept of BTU's, but how much do they really matter?

Most of the grills I am looking at range from 35k to 46k BTU's, but there seems to be a wide range of quality amongst them. Does a lower BTU grill with a heavier duty cooking surface/more burners perform better than a higher BTU grill with a cheaper, flimsier grate/fewer burners?

It seems to me that a 36k BTU grill three burners and a cast (iron? they can be very heavy...) grill rack would probably perform better than a 45k BTU one with two burners a cheap stainless steel grill rack.

Are there any expert opinions? I am looking at buying from a drugstore/wal-mart/department store environment, where the staff can't be expected to be experts. :laugh:

Thanks!

-- Matt

Most of the grills I am looking at range from 35k to 46k BTU's, but there seems to be a wide range of quality amongst them. Does a lower BTU grill with a heavier duty cooking surface/more burners perform better than a higher BTU grill with a cheaper, flimsier grate/fewer burners?

I think that depends on what you're going to cook. I'd like high btu's PLUS heavy grates. When I cook with gas though, it's usually to fry fish, or boil seafood, not grilling. That said, I've used a gas grill to stirfry veggies to go with grilled chicken. With stirfrying, the higher the btu's the better. for regular grilling would it make a difference???

In a nutshell the BTU rating indicates how much fuel you will use... more BTU's = more fuel. You get to decide if that is a good criteria for you to use when selecting a grill.

There's better things to help you decide grill choice in my opinion. Look for solid, quality constructed grills - forget about the crimped, flimsy materials that with one seasons regular use it all falls apart or you need to replace parts. This is often the case in the low dollar range for grills that are available (blue light special?).

Another aspect that I get asked all the time is how to get good grate marks on whatever you are cooking... the trick is to have a material that will hold the heat such as cast iron (or porcelan coated cast iron - doesn't stick as much). The searing marks are from the grate being at a higher temperature than the "ambiant" temperature in the grill area. Forget about the nice and shiny stainless steal things - they just look pretty for the most part - they don't retain the heat that a cast iron grate would.

Another element to look for is temperature control. Look for 2, 3 or even more "zones" that you can change the temperature such as turning one area completely off for indirect cooking.

It seems though that you are in a good direction. Good luck and good grilling!

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

It seems to me that a 36k BTU grill three burners and a cast (iron?  they can be very heavy...) grill rack would probably perform better than a 45k BTU one with two burners a cheap stainless steel grill rack.

out of sheer curiosity, which grills are you looking at with a 45-46k BTU output?

otherwise, i'll always tell people to look at a Weber Genesis, but that's just me and my own experience.

• 2 weeks later...

British Thermal Units (BTUs) are owned by the British. They receive royalties on every one we use. I would only use grills, etc., that use ATUs or don't specify any ownership at all. This could save on your price and the balance of trade.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Skip all of this and go for the charcoal grills.

Never mind the BTUs -- it's about the flavor. And even the best gas grills can't give you the flavor that charcoal grilling does.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

British Thermal Units (BTUs) are owned by the British. They receive royalties on every one we use. I would only use grills, etc., that use ATUs or don't specify any ownership at all. This could save on your price and the balance of trade.

This is a joke , right ?

Much like a "Freedom Fry" ?

lame.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com