• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Albuquerque and Sante Fe Restaurants

On 7/22/2006 at 9:19 PM, thenextmeal said:

Wow - that's the first I had thought of St Estephe in a long, long time. What a fantastic place that was. What happened to Sedlar - is he still around?

I had a book I bought that was based on a (mid 80s?) PBS show called "Great Chefs Of The Southwest" and Sedler was in there. So was Mansion on Turtle Creek, Miller (I think), and I also think Border grill, back when they were on Melrose, etc., etc. I still cook out of that book, BTW, so if you ever see one in a thrift store, buy it!

Sorry to be adding this so late in the thread...

I, too, loved St. Estephe in Manhattan Beach in the day. 

John Sedlar is Chef/Owner of a Santa Fe restaurant in a hotel here.  Eloisa is the restaurant; in the Drury Hotel a few blocks east of The Plaza. 

As I recall Sedlar had a partner in St. Estephe who is also a New Mexico native, Estevan Garcia. He also cooks in Santa Fe but they are no longer together. 

Eloisa is among the very best Santa Fe restaurants.  Space is large and the kitchen is visible from a counter if that is important.   

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Sadie's is a great Mexican style restaurant. There are two locations so you would need to look it up depending where you stay.  My other favorite is El Pinto down in the North Valley. I grew up in Albuquerque so know that these are a bit more expensive.    For breakfast there is a chain called Weck's that is excellent for breakfast.  

• Like 1