• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help with meringue nests please!

CanadianBakin'

I'm using the recipe from cooksillustrated.com

4 1/8 oz white sugar

2 5/8 oz icing sugar

4 large egg whites

Although I'm doing a triple batch at a time.

The problem, they seem to be taking forever to bake and there's sugar leaking out the bottom. Cooksillustrated says to bake them at 225F for 30 minutes, rotate pans and then bake another 30 - 40 minutes. They seemed to still be pillowy in the middle so I kept baking them. They baked for well over 2 hours. Even after 30 minutes the pan on the middle rack was starting to leak sugar bubbles out the bottom. I'm using ovens in a Home Ec room that aren't likely calibrated correctly but that's what I've got. I need 120 of these. I'd like to re-make them tomorrow evening. Any tips for success? Should I bake them a shorter time and then shut the oven off.

Also, any ideas for the 60 nests that didn't turn out? :rolleyes:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

This is how I make it:

What ever the quantity of egg whites (say 150 gr.) beat with double quantity of sugar (say 300 gr.) until sugar dissolves... 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or flour (I like cornstarch) dissolved in 1/2 lemon juice. Add to the meringue.

Line as many baking trays needed (no butter or any other spreads, just dry lining)... with parchment paper (not wax paper) make desired shapes and bake/dry at 200° F (95° C) for 3 hours.

Your meringue... was baked at higher temp... and possible the sugar was not completely dissolved, that may be the cause of the moisture.

ETA...

I don't think baking for shorter time is a good idea... the longer the time the better meringue you get.

As for the ones you made already, leave the hard part (the baked parts), to dry at room temperature for couple of days and then turn into powder which you could use to make icing.

Edited by MamaC (log)

Thanks for your input MamaC. I think I'll try your method.

Just wondering if anyone else also has experience or tried and true.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I did a little more research online before attempting again. I decided to stay with the same recipe as it had worked well in my home oven. I thought the sugar not being completely dissolved, as MamaC suggested, might have been part of the problem so I was extra careful about any graininess in the mix. Also, as she suggested I lowered the temp to 200F. They turned out just about perfect. I found 2 hours to be about right. A couple trays I left in longer but turned the oven off. A couple of them began to form sugar bubbles around the bottom again so we decided 2 hours was good and then cooled them on top of the stove. Thanks MamaC!

the longer the better.

A perfect meringue is made dried out at 120-140 degrees F for many hours, preferably overnight. The trick is to let them go inside a gas oven simply with the pilot light on.

This is not practical for you at home, so drop the temp as low as possible, I think 170? and use a more stable meringue (Italian). Thats if you think your having trouble with your french meringue techniques.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

the longer the better.

A perfect meringue is made dried out at 120-140 degrees F for many hours, preferably overnight.  The trick is to let them go inside a gas oven simply with the pilot light on.

This is not practical for you at home, so drop the temp as low as possible, I think 170?  and use a more stable meringue (Italian).  Thats if you think your having trouble with your french meringue techniques.

I've made these with Swiss Meringue as well, and had no issues. I think for making such large batches, you may want to avoid running around with 240 degree sugar.

Rico