• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancilio S-24?

Richard Kilgore

I have been talking to someone about a used Rancillio S-24 and P-80 grinder (?). I know it is a discontinued model, and this one is supposedly about three years old. He says they paid about $3,000 for the whole set up, but that seems high since the S-24 retailed for about $1,700 I think.

I would appreciate any info on anyone's experience with the S-24 and the P-80 grinder. (I don't need a grinder, but he may not sell separately.) Anything to watch out for in a used machine? Any idea what these are worth today?

Does anyone work on these if there is a problem? Can you get parts?

Also, what would be in the market now that has taken the place of the S-24?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know anything at all about these Rancilio S-24 machines?

I don't know anything about that particular machine, but you should make sure that the boiler isn't calcified. Most commercial machines are plumbed in and have in-line filters, with a pour-over, it is important that the users add properly treated water. Calcified machines need to be overhauled, which can mean big bucks if you pay for a technician to do it.

I don't know anything about that grinder, but Rancilio does make decent ones; I have a Rocky that I really like.

The best thing to do is give bothe machines a good test drive.

hey richard, have you tried alt.coffee? that's where the wild things are. seriously, some incredibly knowledgeable coffee freaks and they are extremely generous with their knowledge.

i have miss silvia, but of course have no info on others of her line.

Coffeegeek Rancilio S-series reviews

Richard, the above link will take you to some Coffeegeek reviews of the Rancilio S-24 and S-27 machines. They are pretty much industrial-strength units suitable for high volume use. Probably overkill for a home environment if that is what you are thinking about.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I've got the Rancilio S26, plumbed-in and with an in-line filter. Best damn thing I've ever bought (except for my bicycles). It's a beast, makes espresso and cappucino as good as in the best Italian bar. Yes, it's a pro machine and rather hunky on the countertop, but we love it and couldn't live without it. I have a guy who comes and services it every 18 months or so. The copper boiler did calcify pretty badly, even with the in-line filter (think we didn't change that often enough), but he put in some frighteningly powerful acid that cleaned it out good as new. Cost for a service was about fifty quid (plus a couple of bottles of wine - he was working evenings in his spare time). Go for it. Thoroughly recommended. As for grinders, I'm still using a toy, a Gaggia that we had to match our old, now defunct Baby Gaggia machine. However, it is effective and if it ain't broke, don't change it.

one thing i've learned about espresso geeks (and i am one)--there is NO such thing as overkill.

Being the proud owner of a Rocky and a Pasquini Livia 90, I agree with you philosophically.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Being the proud owner of a Rocky and a Pasquini Livia 90, I agree with you philosophically.

i did a story on the family behind pasquini and ever since then i have lusted after livia. i just had to change the gasket on miss silvia and i was half-hoping she wouldn't pull through (o fickle heart!).

In a commercial enviroonment I'd choose a brand other than Rancilio but for a home espresso bar that S-24 could be a great choice if the price is right. I think the retail on the S-24 was likely a bit over $2,000 for the plumbed in version (they had a pour-over model as well) but $3,000 with a grinder? he pais too much.

If you can snag the machine alone for $1,000 or so I'd grab it.

Things to look for /questions to ask on a used espresso machine:

- was it used with filtered water?

- if the area where it was in use is known for hard water was the water also softened?

- was it cleaned regularly with Purocaffe or Cafiza?

- when it was taken out of service was it stored in a place where it was subjected to freezing temperatures and if so was it full drained before it was stored?

Also - examine the outer appearance. People who take good care of the innards of their commercial machines are also usually attentive to the exterior.