• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

espresso

Honkman

Finally we bought a superautomatic espresso machine (Jura Capresso F7) and are now testing different coffee beans to find the ones we like most. In the moment we are trying the "standard" one like Illy, Lavazza but I would be curious to hear what kind of coffee beans you like (preferable not to oily, the machine won't like it) and which online shops/roasters you can recommend.

Given you are in San Diego you can take advantage of cheap shipping Sweet Maria's in Oakland. I personally buy their green beans (Liquid Amber) and roast them in an I-Roast home roaster.

In my original post I thought they offerred pre-roasted beans, but after checking again, they don't. Guess they only sell Green beans.

John

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

In my original post I thought they offerred pre-roasted beans, but after checking again, they don't.  Guess they only sell Green beans.

John

Sweet Marias started selling roasted beans a while back - they roast on Monday, so you have to have the beans shipped then (or pick up if you're in the area).

Roastmaster's Choice

I've been ordering green beans from them for some time now - just this week I decided to get some of their pre-roasted stuff just to "calibrate" my home roasts against theirs as a reference.

In my original post I thought they offerred pre-roasted beans, but after checking again, they don't.  Guess they only sell Green beans.

John

Sweet Marias started selling roasted beans a while back - they roast on Monday, so you have to have the beans shipped then (or pick up if you're in the area).

Roastmaster's Choice

Well I stand corrected. I guess I should have stuck with my original instinct on them. That is a great idea to check your home roasting against their roast, I will have to give that a shot.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

To those that have purchased in the past: How bad are the shipping and handling charges? I was reminded of this problem in another thread where someone was going to buy $20 of fatback from Niman Ranch and would've had to pay $20 to ship it!

I'm in the "trying different beans" stage, so don't want to buy a whole lot of anyone's stuff in case I'm not a fan.

Am I SOL?

As I type I am drinking some of the the fine product of Orleans Coffee Roasters. It's great and they ship. Call them up.

Here is a well written story about them that is sure to entice you into a purchase (yes, I wrote it and no, I have no interest in the place other than I like them and I wish them the best as they are, absolutely, one of the good guys in our little world full of carpetbaggers and sharpies).

Trouble Brewing?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Hey.... that's pretty cool - I know Bob Arceneaux - the roaster for Orleans Coffee - nice story.

As for shipping charges - they're all over the map. If you can find a place that ships via Priority Mail you can do okay provided their beans aren't outrageously pricey to beign with.

But realistically... good quality roasted beans by mail will cost aboput $12 - $15 per pound including shipping depending on whether you buy one pound or a couple.

I use:

Paradise Roasters - Cali

Cafe Fresco - Penn

Intelligentsia - Chicago

Great beans for espresso. However I have a dedicated grinder. Don't know how they'd fare in your superautomatic.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Roastmaster's Choice

I've been ordering green beans from them for some time now - just this week I decided to get some of their pre-roasted stuff just to "calibrate" my home roasts against theirs as a reference.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I hadn't realized they were also roasting beans and will be giving them a try.

Cheers!

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I have ordered from some of the vendors listed in the other posts. Here are some more with which I am familiar.

Bocajava roasts to order the coffees you select after you place your order.

I have found their coffees and service superior. I have ordered gifts for coffee enthusiasts who subsequently joined their club.

Another vendor from whom I have ordered is Zoka Coffee in Seattle. I ordered a batch of the Panama La Torcaza as a Christmas gift for a friend, after reading a mention of it in a magazine. I had never heard of this coffee before but was blown away by the flavor - she prepared it in a French press.

My first experience with this vendor was with their tea, having received a gift ordered from them by one of my relatives who visited their store in Seattle. I am always suspicious of teas sold in coffee shops, however this one was excellent, without a hint of contamination by the aggressive coffee flavors.

I have also ordered from Hunter Bay1 in Montana, another vendor that roasts to order.

I haven't ordered from Carrabassett myself, but it is recommended by a friend who orders raw green beans for home roasting.

Call them because the supply changes fairly often.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett