• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Business Trip

Schielke

Hi Everybody,

I will be in LA next week for business and wanted the scoop for places to eat.

I will be staying at the Hilton Carson Inn (2 Civic Plaza Long Beach CA 90745) and working in Carson during the day.

I am looking for some good lunch places in that area in the $5-12 range and then for a couple places to go to a fairly nice dinner in the $15-$20/entree range. The dinner can be anywhere in the LA area.

Thanks for the help!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Those prices are pretty low for fine dining in LA. Someone should be able to recommend some ethnic restaurants though.

Chan Dara is a Thai chain in LA, maybe they have one close to Long Beach. The one I went to is in Santa Monica. I would say the food is above average Thai and quite tastey (but skip the clams).

beachfan

Go up to $25 to $35 and you have Chinois on Main in Santa Monica, which might be my top recommendation. Mostly because it's unique. Wolfgang's other place, Spago Beverly Hills is also excellent. Some of the older threads have details on both higher end and ethnic.

Just be aware that LA is very large geographically, and Long Beach is not central. Check on Map Quest to see how far things are.

This thread has a couple of points of view and specific recommendations:

LA dining scene egullet thread

beachfan

If you are staying in Long Brach there are several different reasonably priced restaurants in the downtown area. There is a really nice buffet about one block east of ocean ave near the light rail which runs down Long beach Blvd, which happens to be the same street lethal weapon 3 was filmed.... the flaming tanker truck scene. It's been a while since I have been to Long beach however let me till you Santa Monica is quite a ways away from Long beach if you are thinking about trying that area. also check my site to see if there are any restaurants listed in the long beach area :blink:

Stanley E. Roberts

President/CEO

www.we8there.com

"we ate there, should you?"

In Long Beach, there are a number of passable restaurants in the block on Pine beginning at Broadway. But I'd go to nearby San Pedro to Sixth Street Bistro, 354 W. 6th. It's Mediterrean food.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Not great recommendations (except maybe the pointer to San Pedro - I don't know anything about the place.) Having grown up in Long Beach, but not there for years - I'd suggest something in East Long Beach - Belmont Shore (2nd Street) or Naples. Used to be lots of independent places. Also, scattered ethnic restaurants between downtown and there. There used to be a great Yugoslavian seafood place in San Pedro, as well as a plate-throwing Greek place. Sorry I can't be more help - that was along time ago. Good luck.

If I'm not mistaken, the Greek plate-throwing place is Papadakis Taverna, 301 W. Sixth St., San Pedro. Good place to go with a group. It's more about energy than food in my view. But some really like the food.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.