• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate and water/Creating chocolate coral using

jturn00

I have also been experimenting with panning, my latest experiments have involved almonds coated with milk chocolate and various really excellent spice rubs, makes for some interesting taste sensations.

Kerry,

HOW interesting. I also recently bought a panning machine (and was lucky enough to have the manufacturer drop by on the day of my first use.) At what point are you adding the spice rubs? That's something I never even thought to do.

Jen

I have also been experimenting with panning, my latest experiments have involved almonds coated with milk chocolate and various really excellent spice rubs, makes for some interesting taste sensations.

Kerry,

HOW interesting. I also recently bought a panning machine (and was lucky enough to have the manufacturer drop by on the day of my first use.) At what point are you adding the spice rubs? That's something I never even thought to do.

Jen

Jen,

I was playing around with almonds and milk chocolate and I just threw in a bit with each drizzle of chocolate. Some tasted great, but the ones with garlic tasted a bit 'dirty' with the almonds (tasted fine just in the chocolate).

How long have you had your pan? What have you panned so far? What is the most interesting thing you have panned? What kind of pan? What do you use for cooling?

I took the joint NCA/PMCA panning course last fall, feel free to PM me if you have questions I might be able to answer.

How long have you had your pan? What have you panned so far? What is the most interesting thing you have panned? What kind of pan? What do you use for cooling?

I took the joint NCA/PMCA panning course last fall, feel free to PM me if you have questions I might be able to answer.

Kerry,

So far I've only used it the once, with dark chocolate and almonds. They came out far less shiny than the ones I used to buy, but way tastier. The difference in shine doesn't seem to bother my customers, who are kind of scooping this batch up. The panner came two weeks before Easter, so I had to put aside my new toy and get back to work.

[if by cooling you mean during,] I used a fan positioned in front of the panner, at an angle, the center of the fan even with the center of the panner. Afterwards I just spread the almonds on several sheet pans with a fan rotating over all, overnight.

Thanks for the help offer: I'll PM you once I've done this again (this week!) and have more questions, for sure about the polishing phase.

Jen