• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light my favorite cigar and have a glass of.....

GordonCooks

vintage Rum, Cognac/Armagnac or Calvados. Some times a stinger made with any of these.

Checking out our Rum bulletin board is probably a good bet for finding cigar friendly rums. The new Montecristo 12 year old that was just released is VERY good considering its price point.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Whatever the special is at the bowling alley.

Willkommen.

Oberst.... I just knew that you were a bowler. I like it better than golf. You lose less balls.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Oberst.... I just knew that you were a bowler. I like it better than golf. You lose less balls.

Yup, I have to get back in a league, that was a helluvalot of fun. What I love about bowling is that I can get better with a couple of drinks, whereas my golf game goes down the pipes.

There used to be a time where I'd bring my Cuban cigars down to the bowling alley, drink my tail off and bowl for over 4 hours. The first time I did this, the next morning went a little something like this:

(I squat down to pick something up and )

Me: Damn! my ass is sore! Wait a second, how come only half of my ass is sore?

(a few moments later)

Me: Oh yeah, I did one-legged squats for four hours last night.

• 6 months later...

Ah, the fine art of combining a wonderful cigar with a spirited companion, perhaps my favorite way to pass the time. My favorites would have to be:

A fine single malt scotch (Macallan, Highland Park, Glenmorangie)

A fine Tawny Port (20 yr old or older preferred), Vintage Port will also do

A fine microbrew beer (this time of year a winter warmer, stout or porter)

A fine glass of cabernet sauvignon or zinfindel

Cigars and spirits/beer/wine were meant to be together!

Ah, the fine art of combining a wonderful cigar with a spirited companion, .....

A fine microbrew beer (this time of year a winter warmer, stout or porter)

Welcome.

I am presently working my way through a case of Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. Good stuff.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

• 3 weeks later...

Bigbear, being inspired by your posting, I have had some awesome winter brews with wonderful cigars lately. Some recent brews that I've enjoyed have been: 2 Brothers Russian Imperial Stout; Shipyard Longfellow; Troegs Oatmeal Stout; and Papercity Winter Palace. Yesterday I enjoyed the 2 Brothers with an incredible Oliva Maduro 7x54 torpedo, a match made in heaven! I also have a bottle of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (24% ABV, 666 calories) that I'm waiting for the right moment (and cigar) to have, perhaps with a Padron 1964 Anniversario? Cheers!

..... I also have a bottle of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (24% ABV, 666 calories) that I'm waiting for the right moment (and cigar) to have.....

I think that Dogfish Head is also making rum now.

-- Jeff

I think that Dogfish Head is also making rum now

They are. We carry the Dogfish Head Brown Honey Rum and the Dogfish Head Wit Spiced Rum at several of the restaurants I work for. Tasty stuff. I like the body and character of the Brown Honey, myself. It's popular in the Philly area I think, because Dogfish Head is kind of a "local" (Lewes, Delaware) brewery, so the name has good brand recognition here. The rums are carried in PA by Kasser-Laird distributors. Not sure where to get it elsewhere as I am a hostage of the archaic and asinine Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board system. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A very nice port, or baileys.  But, I'll probably have to quite soon due to new ban on smoking in NYC.  :angry: Need to find a good private cigar club now.

There's always my apartment for these matters...I'm hoping to make some money on this RIDICULOUS legislation. :biggrin: