• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken broth

sabg

i am making matzoh ball soup with saffron and spinach matzoh balls from an epicurious recipe for passover...i will not havew time to make the stock with 18 lbs of wings...what would be the best store bot substitute, i will be adding saffron to the broth...anything good out there..thanks

And if getting as mainstream brand always think...LOW SODIUM you can add more salt later.

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

And if getting as mainstream brand always think...LOW SODIUM you can add more salt later.

t

I second this idea. Especially if the soup will be cooked beyond just heating it up, go with the low sodium. When the regular stuff begans to evaporate and reduce down, it gets really salty.

Do you have time to take a pot of canned stock, throw a few wings and vegetables in it, and simmer it for about 45 minutes? That might be a compromise. Otherwise, either the Kitchen Basics or Swanson would likely do. The taste comparisons I've seen lately rank these high; sometimes one wins, sometimes the other does.

America's Test Kitchen, the PBS series by Cooking Illustrated, did a taste test on chicken broths. Their winner was Swanson's Low Sodium Organic Chicken Broth. I'd assume the non-organic would be just about as good.

rooftop1000 has it right...low sodium is the way to go ...better to add salt than to end up with something too salty.

edited to add link to Swanson's web page...it's the third item on the page.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver