• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metromint unsweetened mintwater

jgarner53

Has anyone heard of or tried Metromint? From the bottles I've seen ($1.89 for 16 oz. at a Mollie Stone's in San Francisco), it is just water and peppermint. No sugar or artificial sweeteners. But close to $2 for what most would down in a single serving?

According to their website, they use pesticide-free peppermint leaves grown in Yakima, WA and filtered water.

Couldn't I just do the same thing at home? :hmmm: For far, far cheaper?

Has anyone tried this? Is it good? As refreshing and magical as they claim?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

You can do a LOT of things cheaper at home, though.

I don't see Metromint many places, but I grab it whenever I do. Cold, it's great in the summer -- hot with lemon, it's decent in winter (although actual mint tea seems to be better). It's a very clean peppermint taste, and I like that it's not sweetened -- there aren't enough unsweetened beverages out there.

I tried this at the Fancy Food Show in SF and I liked it a lot.

Fancy Food Show - Hot New Foods, What's new...

And I agree with Ktepi, there aren't enough unsweetened beverages out there. For years, I'd stop at one of those quick marts during a road trip trying to find something to drink that wasn't cloyingly sweet. Voila! Finally we have something.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across a mint flavored water at Target, it was not sweetened. I enjoy it as an occasional change. I know I could infuse my own water, but not having fresh mint available all the time makes this a handy option.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I don't care for metromint -- it reminds me of drinking watered-down mouthwash.

At least you can get a buzz from the mouthwash if you drink enough of it :laugh:

If you make it, they will come. Listerine has already addressed this with the introduction of their latest product:

Vanilla Mint Listerine

Cheers! :wink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

With all the knocking of Metromint, I'll just have to add that it is my hottest selling beverage. Most people drink one and are not won over, but after the second, they're hooked. I'll also say that when I tried it in 2005 at the Fancy Food Show I remember thinking it was too strong, and so we didn't buy any. At this year's show we tried it again, and enjoyed it enough to buy it for the store. Good sales does not equal good taste, but my sense is the company is not getting poor.

• 1 month later...

I'd be surprised if it doesn't take off. When Japanese vendors first introduced unsweetened teas, we heard similar reactions - who would pay for something so PLAIN?

These days, they sell so fast that it's hard to buy a cold bottle - the shopowners can't keep the chiller shelves stocked fast enough to allow the drinks time to chill. People are willing to pay for access to what they would really prefer to drink, no matter how cheap the beverage is to make.

Nowadays when I leave Japan, I find myself perusing the shelves for something that isn't sweet, but isn't water. I usually give up and go to a coffee shop in the end, but if Metromint were there, be sure I'd buy it!

• 3 weeks later...

personally i agree with the watered down mouthwash comment....and i think in 10 years we will look back at metromint as a product typical of its time (but i said that about altoids too, so that shows you what i know).

maybe for another thread, but the emergence of all of these new flavors is fascinating (in reference to vanilla-mint mouthwash above). is there any category of product that you put in your mouth that won't eventually see this two-flavor "sophistication"? and what comes after that? will we see chipotle mouthwash one day???

sorry for the rant, but i would love to see a thread dedicated to the emergence of "sophisticated" (for lack of better word) flavors in mainstream categories...

I'm not usually a fan of "flavored" waters such as the various fake tasting fruit flavored waters on the market (although Vitamin Water Lime isn't half bad). But I recently received a gift basket that included a botle of Metromint and I thought it was good. Very refreshing and not really fake tasting. But I'll have to try adding a few drops of mint oil to a bottle of Britta filterted water and give it a shake - won't surprise me if it tastes about the same.

maybe for another thread, but the emergence of all of these new flavors is fascinating (in reference to vanilla-mint mouthwash above).  is there any category of product that you put in your mouth that won't eventually see this two-flavor "sophistication"?  and what comes after that?  will we see chipotle mouthwash one day???

Hey why not? :hmmm: But why stop at a two flavor profile mouthwash when you can have three: chipoltle-cilantro-tomatillo mouthwash anyone? :biggrin:

Cheers.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!