• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for our Queen

Incidentally, looking at the Optomen website makes me realise how big a project this was - 40 half hour programmes!

...comprising 18 minutes of original material endlessly recapped.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

For anyone interested in seeing the final result, there is a follow-up programme about the banquet itself on Friday 16th June, BBC2 7:00PM to 8:00PM.

It will be interesting to see, if we can, how different the dishes are which are actually served on the day...

For anyone interested in seeing the final result, there is a follow-up programme about the banquet itself on Friday 16th June, BBC2 7:00PM to 8:00PM.

It will be interesting to see, if we can, how different the dishes are which are actually served on the day...

Holland vs Ivory Coast :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 9 months later...

I am sure I read in Olive this month when profiling restaurant Sat Bains, they stated '.....a contestant in the Great British Menu..' or something to that effect? Now unless my memory deceives me Sat has never been on this show (I could be wrong). Was this a misprint? Does anyone know? Andy L? Brown Bear ??

Its a new series staring in April - full line is:

South East - Atul Kochher - Stuart Gillies

South West - Michael Caines - Mark Hix

Central - Galton Blackiston - Sat Bains

North - Marcus Wareing - Mark Broadbent

Wales Bryn Williams - Matt Tebbutt

Scotland - Nick Nairn - Jeremy Lee

N. Ireland - Richard Corrigan - Noel McMeel

Hold on a mo'. What the heck is the reason for the competition this time round? It was Queenie's 80th last year- so what is it to celebrate this year?

Bapi, her 81st of course :biggrin:

You never know this regional competition could develop and go global. Maybe a European Cup whereby chefs from various countries compete. Or maybe a version of the Ryder Cup whereby a crack team of European chefs take on the might of the USA, obviously with Adria and Keller leading them out.

Alongside commentary and punditry from the relevant nations top food critics and writers........ ' they think its pavlova...it is now '.

I need to get out more :wacko:

Or maybe a version of the Ryder Cup whereby a crack team of European chefs take on the might of the USA, obviously with Adria and Keller leading them out.

Alongside commentary and punditry from the relevant nations top food critics and writers........ ' they think its pavlova...it is now '.

RDB - this is a GREAT idea. Get onto it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Sat Bains doing his excellent thing in the kitchen and running rings round the apparently petulant Galton Blackiston. Slightly different format this year but still fairly dismal, too much padding and repetition, not enough content. If you can get past that Sat is just great to watch.

Good to see Sat Bains doing his excellent thing in the kitchen and running rings round the apparently petulant Galton Blackiston. Slightly different format this year but still fairly dismal, too much padding and repetition, not enough content. If you can get past that Sat is just great to watch.

Sat was legendary last night, not too sure about that fish dish but would have been interested to try it! Galton was clearly getting wound up though!

Looking forward to eating at Sat Bains when i get round to sorting a table out!

Well worth the trip, assuming you can ever find his somewhat obscure location, not as Jennie Bond says in "downtown Nottingham" but out in the wilds down what appears to be a farm track.

I am really enjoying watching Sat cook, it is actually refreshing to observe some 'modern' cooking on TV for a change. I ate his egg dish last summer and it is pretty special, will be interesting to see what the judges think.

As an individual I think he comes across very well on the TV both in terms of personality, passion and humour. I reckon the TV offers will come flooding in. It may even bring the critics out of London to visit his restaurant. I often think (possibly due to location) that his restaurant does not receive the attention it deserves, particularly in light of the 'cutting edge' food he produces. I am sure that will change......

Why Jenny Bond is still appearing and now even tasting the food is beyond me. The little cheesy, one liner, voice overs are just cringeworthy.

Also, Gallstones does not seem as confident this time around as he did when up against AWT, wonder why :hmmm:

Well worth the trip, assuming you can ever find his somewhat obscure location, not as Jennie Bond says in "downtown Nottingham" but out in the wilds down what appears to be a farm track.

Yes I know where it is, its pretty obscure, certainly not in the city centre by any means!

I can't understand why AWT was in the show last year in the first place, I should probably read through this whole thread to hear what happened but from what I hear he was pretty awful (what a surprise?).

Sat definately comes across well on TV and I agree, I think he'll get tons of offers, I'm sure he won't "sell himself out" though!

Technology triumphs over tradition eh - i'm quite surprised at the judges.  i really thought they would've gone for galton

Does anyone know what the egg dish was that sat did that oliver peyton mentioned?

Dunno, but according to the degustation on the website there's a dish:

"Duck egg 62oC

'textures' of peas

ham- bread

vinegar jus"

Sounds like deconstructed gammon and eggs to me...

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!