• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for our Queen

Northern Ireland this week, Paul Rankin against Richard Corrigan. When did Corrigan's home town of Dublin become part of Northern Ireland?

At least there's a lot less sniping and no goat's cheese so far.

Tsk, he is from Meath like myself. We tend to get in a huff when Dubs claims Meath people for themselves. I missed the start of tonights episode but I believe he said that his family is from the North. They are obviously using the same system on the TV show that we use to select people for our national football team.

Yes, I shouldn't have said 'home town', birthplace is more accurate. He seems to claim Athboy as his home town.

Is he saying Meath is in the North (which may be true, but it still wasn't in Northern Ireland last time I looked), or did his ancestors come from Northern Ireland? It still sounds like the 'make it up as you go along' system to me.

Oh well, at least the food looks better this week.

I was interested to see that Corrigan seems to have shifted his position regarding farmed salmon: on Full on Food he there was one programme where they sent him to look at an organic salmon farm as (if I remember correctly) he said he only used wild salmon and had never found farmed salmon worth eating. On that program his conclusion was that that organic salmon was actually alright. Now on this program he is saying he would much rather eat organic farmed salmon than empty the rivers of the last wild salmon. I wonder whether that really was a direct result of the FoF programme?

After watching Friday's programme, I came away with a slight dislike of Matthew Fort. I've always liked his writing and miss his reviews in the Grauniad but he comes across as a bit of a pompous arse on this show. When he said the lobster was "the apotheosis of marine sweetness" in that smug way, I had to restrain my husband from throwing the remote across the room at the TV. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold him back if MF continues in this vein on Friday

For those not following,

Spoiler

Richard C. won again Paul R, who had made possibly the most boring main ever, a sunday-lunch type crusted lamb. A good week overall; notably the judges were a lot more friendly this time around. Possibly been told to lighten up a bit?

Edited by kutsu (log)

For those not following, Richard C. won again Paul R, who had made possibly the most boring main ever, a sunday-lunch type crusted lamb. A good week overall; notably the judges were a lot more friendly this time around. Possibly been told to lighten up a bit?

Cheers! I won't bother watching what I've recorded now. :rolleyes:

Please do spoiler alert for stuff like this.

Did anyone see who AWT is up against next week?

The Radio Times says Galton Blackiston for the rather bizarre "region" of either the "East and West Midlands" or "The Midlands and East Anglia" depending on which page you read.

It also describes both chefs as "Michelin-starred" - can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Edited by JudyB (log)

The Radio Times says Galton Blackiston for the rather bizarre "region" of either the "East and West Midlands" or "The Midlands and East Anglia" depending on which page you read.

It also describes both chefs as "Michelin-starred" - can anyone tell me if this is correct?

I don't think that AWT has had a star but Blackiston has one at Morston Hall

I don't think that AWT has had a star but Blackiston has one at Morston Hall

Indeed he does. We stayed and dined at Morston Hall a few summers back. Slightly unusually it's a no choice menu, with all the diners being served virtually within minutes of each other. Not quite sure how he manages that feat. Very competent and intelligent cooking, which errs away from being too fanciful; relying instead on quality ingredients, served simply.

I won't be watching this week, for fear of smashing up my new television every time Thompson's face appears. Then again-it would be nice to see him being beaten by Blackiston.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Then again-it would be nice to see him being beaten by Blackiston.

Or, indeed, by a couple of huge men with bats.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

I did have a very quick look at it the other day, but only to figure out who the chefs I didn't recognise were. I didn't take in much else unfortunately.

Good episode tonight with lots of seething tension between Galton Blackiston and AWT, with the pair hardly bothering to conceal their contempt for each other. If its all an act I'm convinced!

Me too, it looks like quite a good book with lots of infomation about the suppliers they have been using around the country. Its good to see a few lesser known names making it into the programme, i wonder if some of the more high profile chefs from around the regions were 'unavailable'.

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

I notice AWT criticised Blckiston for using a puree and calling it French, I was little confused as he made "pesto" with watercress and served what was obstensibly a Vichysoisse :wacko: . Poor cooking from AWT IMO but I do think we have to remember that this is meant to go out to 300 people. No way that the Blackiston's starter could have been turned out easily for that many IMO although it did look nice.

I think there must be some history between these two, Blackiston recalls meeting him twice at cookery demonstrations, AWT has never even heard of him. How embarassing having to invite Blackiston to a steakhouse to show of his cooking skills :laugh:

Next week in the South London heat we have Sharon vs Dave. Dave has never eaten any of Sharons food so visits her at MacDonalds "The chips are nice" Says Dave guardedly. Sharron returns the visit to Daves eponymously named "Daves cafe" in Bermondsey and bemoans the fact that he uses fresh tomatoes rather than tinned and deep fries his fried slice "That ain't right issit? This ain't proper"

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

If AWT has contempt for Blackiston, it can onlt be to deflect away from his own inadequacies. Just rearrange the initials TWA and add a T.

Don't know what TWA is doing representing the Midlands, but of course his mid rift is the size of the Midlands.

If TWA wins this heat, then someone has a cruel sense of humor.

I'm now bored with the show - it really does not have to be on every night from here to eternity, repeating the same old crap again and again and again and again...........

My hate of Jenny "I'm the Queens best pal" Bond had grown to the point where I mute or FF when she's on screen.

Might try it again at the end.

I dont think that Blackiston guy is doing himself any favours, granted AWT isnt the greatest chef in the world and is much more a celebrity than an actual chef these days but he is the darling of older people who watch ready steady cook, and other similar BBC2 fayre.

I dont like Blackiston from tonights episode one bit.

I dont think that Blackiston guy is doing himself any favours, granted AWT isnt the greatest chef in the world and is much more a celebrity than an actual chef these days but he is the darling of older people who watch ready steady cook, and other similar BBC2 fayre.

I dont like Blackiston from tonights episode one bit.

I can't say that I would be sorry to see AWT lose, but I do agree that the sniping this week does seem to have moved beyond the playground level of the first week (from John Burton-Race) into subtler, and more biting, comments.

Blackiston clearly has preconceived ideas about TWA (talentless, insoucient celebrity short order cook) that, in his mind, have all proven to be true. Like when he went to TWA's restaurant and called it a "pub": it met his expectatoins.

I think yesterday the penny dropped for TWA that his main course was a disaster.

Meow.