• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mijita- San Francisco

molto e

http://www.mijitasf.com/

Chef Tracy Des Jardins of Jardiniere has a little outpost called Mijita in the Ferry Building that serves regional dishes of Mexico and street food. Mijita serves lunch and dinner and on the weekends breakfast as well. We went to Mijita for a "light" lunch at least that was the idea......

gallery_30892_2768_1156987.jpg

gallery_30892_2768_565548.jpg

Looking in from the window at the tortillas being made fresh every day

gallery_30892_2768_476016.jpg

gallery_30892_2768_695664.jpg

gallery_30892_2768_1016616.jpg

I ordered the quesadilla mijita as an appetizer. I thought it was very good.

fresh masa turnover with a mixture of mexican cheeses, epazote and roasted chilies crisped on the griddle

gallery_30892_2768_233342.jpg

gallery_30892_2768_427716.jpg

The special for the day was a carne asada torta and it was good.

gallery_30892_2768_13288.jpg

Mysteriously a carne asada taco ended up with my food.

grilled marinated beef, smoky red salsa, cilantro and onions in a soft corn tortilla

I would go back again to try breakfast on the weekend because it was featured in a New York Times article.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Maybe I was spoiled by my recent trip to Mexico. I probably would have liked this place much more a month earlier, but then maybe not. I thought it was good, but nothing special. The food certainly looked really good though.

gallery_8158_2770_36090.jpg

taco de pescado "Baja", battered and deep fried ling cod in soft corn tortillas with cabbage and avocado-cilantro cream. Good.

gallery_8158_2770_45919.jpg

taco de carne asada. The same as Molto's. I was underwhelmed by this. I found it dry and surprisingly tasteless. Maybe it was just a less than stellar batch.

gallery_8158_2770_41140.jpg

frijoles boiled pinto beans topped with mexican cheese and cilantro. These were very disappointing as they had next to no flavor.

Unfortunately, I inexplicably did not get a photo of the one thing that I really enjoyed - the taco de carnitas. The braised pork was juicy and full of great flavor. I would return for this and perhaps the quesadilla mijita, although I have no doubt that there are better and more reasonably priced taquerias in San Francisco.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Chef Tracy Des Jardins of Jardiniere has a little outpost called Mijita in the Ferry Building that serves regional dishes of Mexico and street food. Mijita serves lunch and dinner and on the weekends breakfast as well. We went to Mijita for a "light" lunch at least that was the idea......

I would go back again to try breakfast on the weekend because it was featured in a New York Times article.

Good Eating,

Molto E

I just called them. My question since they seem to recognized by their great tortillas, was: do they use nixtamal or masteca to make them. The answer: NIXTAMAL !!!

I'm going soon. They seem creative and authentic.

John

I have to say that this is one of the best lunch spots in SF. What the photos don't show you is the panoramic view of the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island and East Bay. The Albondigas soup is incredibly delicious, and makes a great meal on its own.

My advice is to skip dessert and get a fresh mini-galette from Frog Hollow Farm next door, or a beautiful cupcake from Miette.

If you're anywhere near town, this is definitely worth the trip!

I have to say that this is one of the best lunch spots in SF.  What the photos don't show you is the panoramic view of the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island and East Bay. The Albondigas soup is incredibly delicious, and makes a great meal on its own.

My advice is to skip dessert and get a fresh mini-galette from Frog Hollow Farm next door, or a beautiful cupcake from Miette.

If you're anywhere near town, this is definitely worth the trip!

the view is great and it is pretty place, but that is true for just about any eatery there. One place that looked good, but we didn't get to try was Boulettes Larder.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I went for lunch when it first opened -- I was really looking forward to it, but I had the same opinion as Doc. It was okay, but not stellar. The tortillas were great, but that really wasn't enough. And, at around $9 for a fish taco and a beer, I expected a lot more.

I work nearby and go fairly often. But not for taco's, there is a taco truck a block from me that has just about as good of tacos and I can get 2 for 2.50. I didn't like the quesadilla mijita at all too rich I only ate half.

The best thing is the breakfast. I like the Chilaquiles with an egg over easy on top. Spicy sauce, mild beans the perfect foil and a nice egg. They often have a special of 3 rolled crispy chicken taco's for $7 and they are pretty good. The best thing I ever had was the Tostada Tinga special but I only saw it once and they acted all strange with me when I asked about it. It seemed the kitchen staff didn't want to make it or something. The also never seem to have the cucumber-lime agua fresca which is *crazy good* like a insane limeade. The albondagas soup is very good if you are expecitng a tomato based broth (I like clear beef broth) and I'd get it again. The regular tortilla soup is a puree with a few tortillas and a little cream. Pretty good but not a satisfying complete lunch, I'd like a cup sized portion along with something else. The grapfruit and jicima salad with pepitas is good.