• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Design on my cake

oli

Looking for some help on how can I put two colours down on the top of the cake in the shape of Ying and Yang. One will be raspberry and the other peach, but I don't know how to put it down without one flowing into the other.

Thanks

O

Looking for some help on how can I put two colours down on the top of the cake in the shape of Ying and Yang.  One will be raspberry and the other peach, but I don't know how to put it down without one flowing into the other.

Thanks

O

Stick an acetate sheet on the cake, shaped correctly, cover the cake with the two colours and remove the acetate sheet when it's done

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Kind of depends on what you are covering the cake with. What kind of icing are you using?

One way would be to ice your cake raspberry color, then if it's a round cake, using the entire top of the cake for the symbol, just pipe one half of the ying yang on the top in the peach color.

I mean another way is to cut out one half out of paper, lay it on the cake & sprinkle colored powdered sugar on top & remove the paper. Repeat with the other color. You can color the sugar with powdered food color.

But what mediums are you using? What kind of icing & stuff???

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Kind of depends on what you are covering the cake with. What kind of icing are you using?

One way would be to ice your cake raspberry color, then if it's a round cake, using the entire top of the cake for the symbol, just pipe one half of the ying yang on the top in the peach color.

I mean another way is to cut out one half out of paper, lay it on the cake & sprinkle colored powdered sugar on top & remove the paper. Repeat with the other color. You can color the sugar with powdered food color.

But what mediums are you using? What kind of icing & stuff???

I am thinking of running some peaches through a blender and then straining it and then adding some gelatin. The same with raspberries. So I am concerned since each glaze is rather runny once its layed down, it might not hold its shape until it sets up. What do you think?

Edited by oli (log)

How about piping gel. That would work. Pipe it then let it set an hour or a coupla hours--then put down your delicious sounding peach & raspberry--that stuff (piping gel) will hold anything given enough time. And maybe allow time between putting on your ying and yang. It never hurts to test stuff too. I would definitely test this idea before I attempted it on my product.

I would add food color to the peach so it has the same intensity of color as the raspberry myself. But that's just me.

edited to say I think I would reduce the fruit stuff too before adding the gelatin to intensify the flavor too. Wonder how sticky that's gonna be...

Edited by K8memphis (log)

How about piping gel. That would work. Pipe it then let it set an hour or a coupla hours--then put down your delicious sounding peach & raspberry--that stuff (piping gel) will hold anything given enough time. And maybe allow time between putting on your ying and yang. It never hurts to test stuff too. I would definitely test this idea before I attempted it on my product.

I would add food color to the peach so it has the same intensity of color as the raspberry myself. But that's just me.

edited to say I think I would reduce the fruit stuff too before adding the gelatin to intensify the flavor too. Wonder how sticky that's gonna be...

It was late when I got around to finishing the cake. So what I did was make a shape of the Ying or was it Yang, well I don't know, but anyway I just ran the raspberries through a processor and added gelatin, same with the peaches. I pour on one and waited till it firmed up, took the template off and then poured the other. Came out quite nice, I will just have to remember to use less gelatin. The colours were vibrant enough without adding food colouring.

Thanks