• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hershey's Syrup

KatieLoeb

Out at the supermarket today, right there in the section with all the other milk additives, I noticed a "limited edition" flavor of Hershey's syrup for milk:

Dulce de Leche

:blink:

Could it get any easier? Will they wrap the rubber tie around my arm and find the vein for me as well?

Has anyone tried this yet? I was so overwhelmed I didn't dare purchase it. It was too scary to contemplate having such easy access.

Anyone??

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It's intriguing, but I'm not sure how I'd use it. Is it purely a dulce de leche flavor, or is it chocolate + dulce de leche?

We have a sizeable Hispanic population here, so there's no problem finding dulce de leche on our grocery store shelves.

I probably won't purchase it, unless somebody points out that it's just wonderful when used a certain way... and then I'll give in. :biggrin:

It's intriguing, but I'm not sure how I'd use it.  Is it purely a dulce de leche flavor, or is it chocolate + dulce de leche?

We have a sizeable Hispanic population here, so there's no problem finding dulce de leche on our grocery store shelves.

I probably won't purchase it, unless somebody points out that it's just wonderful when used a certain way... and then I'll give in.  :biggrin:

Looked like a dulce de leche flavored syrup for your milk, much like the chocolate and strawberry flavored syrups that already exist.

Regular dulce de leche is too thick to dissolve into milk, isn't it? This looked engineered exactly for that purpose.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Regular dulce de leche is too thick to dissolve into milk, isn't it? This looked engineered exactly for that purpose.

Dulce de leche shouldn't be to thick to dissolve in, well, anything. However, it's kind of pointless to dissolve it in milk. After all, it's made out of milk (dulce de leche = milk jelly). Traditionally, milk and sugar boiled down to the right color and consistency. Now we pretty much just grab a can of condensed milk and simmer it for a couple of hours. It's too easy to make for me to go and buy some overpriced "flavored" syrup.

In any case, I would use it as a sauce to top or stuff churros or pate-au-choux. Or to go with crepes and ice cream

edited to correct spelling of pate-au-choux (no, I won't tell you how I spelled it originally :raz: )

Edited by godito (log)

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Dulce de leche shouldn't be to thick to dissolve in, well, anything. However, it's kind of pointless to dissolve it in milk. After all, it's made out of milk (dulce de leche = milk jelly). Traditionally, milk and sugar boiled down to the right color and consistency. Now we pretty much just grab a can of condensed milk and simmer it for a couple of hours. It's too easy to make for me to go and buy some overpriced "flavored" syrup.

In any case, I would use it as a sauce to top or stuff churros or pate-au-choux. Or to go with crepes and ice cream

edited to correct spelling of pate-au-choux (no, I won't tell you how I spelled it originally :raz: )

I realize what it is, and I've made it by the same method myself, but I hardly think it's "pointless" to have instantly available caramel flavored milk. Sounds like something I could develop a crack-like addiction to, in fact. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!