• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit puree

oli

I am trying to get some mango puree and passion fruit puree, but I would like to avoid having to mail order if possible. Anyway I came across a frozen bag entitled Tropical Fruit Trio, which is made up of mango, papaya and pineapple with passion fruit juice. Can I use this as a passion fruit puree?

Just putting it into a blender would be all I need to do to make a puree?

Do I need to drain off the juice?

If I find a frozen bag of mango can I do the same for mango puree?

This puree is not going to used to decorate the top of the cheesecake but a future project.

My last question is if I am doing a Ying Yang design, how do I create one of the designs and it hold the position, while I pour the other design?

Thanks

O

I don't know about the frozen fruit but have you looked in the ethnic section of your grocery store for canned mango puree? It has great flavour!

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I don't think the mango puree will be that hard to find, but I just thought since mango in a can is so easy to find in market to go that route. The passion fruit is the harder one it looks like.

I don't think the mango puree will be that hard to find, but I just thought since mango in a can is so easy to find in market to go that route.  The passion fruit is the harder one it looks like.

I dont know where youre located, but if you dont want to go mail-order (at school we use 'perfect puree' from Napa) you'll have the best luck looking in latin specialty stores, if not for puree, for juice or "nectar" -- my mom always has a bottle handy for making mousse.

Edited because I read your other thread about the design

Edited by turkeybone (log)

Rico

I don't think the mango puree will be that hard to find, but I just thought since mango in a can is so easy to find in market to go that route.  The passion fruit is the harder one it looks like.

I dont know where youre located, but if you dont want to go mail-order (at school we use 'perfect puree' from Napa) you'll have the best luck looking in latin specialty stores, if not for puree, for juice or "nectar" -- my mom always has a bottle handy for making mousse.

Edited because I read your other thread about the design

If I use juice or nectar, is this considered puree? I will ask today some of our latin ladies if they know about puree.

Thanks

Perfect Puree makes great, tasty products but (IIRC) none of them are 100% fruit. They have sweeteners and other ingredients added.

Puree is whole, ground fruit, sometimes sieved or run through a screen. It usually has a viscosity, depending on the fruit, between apple sauce and tomato paste. In most cases, puree is homogenous and contains no piece identity.

Juice is the result produced via the pressing of fruit. The captured juice is usually sieved or filtered and sometime pasteurized. It is free-flowing, and is usually not viscous. It contains no pieces.

Nectar is juice with sweetener added. This is done to make juices which would otherwise be too acidic to drink on their own palatable.

hth,

=R=

edited for clarity

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Frozen passion fruit puree can be found in Latin markets but the quality is not the same as the ones I order for the bakery. They are often labelled as Maracuya (I think that's how it's spelled) and sometimes the frozen passion fruit puree from the Latin markets have seeds which you would probably want to strain out. Another option they have is a passion fruit concentrate (liquid) that is meant to be diluted for drinks. The frozen puree can also be found at some Portuguese grocery stores as well.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

If I find a frozen bag of mango can I do the same for mango puree?

I know nothing about the rest of this - but Trader Joe's has fresh frozen mango chunks.

These can be turned into puree via the use of a food processor. Same goes for fresh pieces of mango.

=R=

Perfect Puree makes great, tasty products but (IIRC) none of them are 100% fruit. They have sweeteners and other ingredients added.

This always seems to be a bit of a concern for people but I wish they would stop bringing it up. Perfect puree's products should never be diminished for "added" sweetener simply because they only add to keep a products sugar level consistent all the time. You can't expect every batch of, well, anything to taste like the last one so they tweak recipes with blends of the same fruit, and at the end if it still needs a percentage of sweetener to keep their product consistent. It's only added sweetener that should already have been there if the product was perfectly adeqaute.

At home its tough, your best bet is to use fresh passion fruit. If you ever get a chance or spot some puree, snatch it up and freeze it. You never know when you might want to use that exotic, or out of season flavor.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

This always seems to be a bit of a concern for people but I wish they would stop bringing it up.  Perfect puree's products should never be diminished for "added" sweetener simply because they only add to keep a products sugar level consistent all the time.  You can't expect every batch of, well, anything to taste like the last one so they tweak recipes with blends of the same fruit, and at the end if it still needs a percentage of sweetener to keep their product consistent.  It's only added sweetener that should already have been there if the product was perfectly adeqaute.

Actually, I was just trying to be helpful. I don't see where I "diminished" anything. I brought up this fact simply because I thought it might be relevant, given the application. I've worked in the industrial fruit segment for over 20 years and know full-well why agriculturally-based products often contain added ingredients. That said, Perfect Puree's products always contain additives, regardless of crop conditions, so I believe there's more than standardization in play here.

=R=

Frozen passion fruit puree can be found in Latin markets but the quality is not the same as the ones I order for the bakery.  They are often labelled as Maracuya (I think that's how it's spelled) and sometimes the frozen passion fruit puree from the Latin markets have seeds which you would probably want to strain out.  Another option they have is a passion fruit concentrate (liquid) that is meant to be diluted for drinks.  The frozen puree can also be found at some Portuguese grocery stores as well.

Looks like I can run down to one of the Latin markets and get some frozen passion fruit puree. Its handier than having to order it, in price and availabilty. I understand its probably not as good as the mail order but it will tide me over until I can find the good puree locally. I just can't imagine that the good quality puree is not available in such a big city as Los Angeles.

O

• 2 months later...
Frozen passion fruit puree can be found in Latin markets but the quality is not the same as the ones I order for the bakery.  They are often labelled as Maracuya (I think that's how it's spelled) and sometimes the frozen passion fruit puree from the Latin markets have seeds which you would probably want to strain out.  Another option they have is a passion fruit concentrate (liquid) that is meant to be diluted for drinks.  The frozen puree can also be found at some Portuguese grocery stores as well.

I just got some Passion Fruit concentrate from Perfect Puree in Napa. They don't have passion fruit puree, just concentrate, so I hope I have the right stuff for recipes calling for passion fruit puree.

if you want to get technical, the result of removing pulp from seed in passion fruits is juice (more or less). the term puree is used across the board but usually refers to things like strawberries where the result is thicker (strawberry juice would probably be harder and more expensive to extract) and thus a puree. if you purchased concentrate, just make sure that it doesn't have more than 10% sugars added to it, if any at all. the standard passion fruit puree sold by companies like boiron and cap' fruit usually only have about 10%.

you can take a look at boiron's web site. cap' fruit's web site is under construction.

boiron's web site has all kinds of information on making pate de fruit, etc.