• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any hints on running a chocolate tasting session?

LucyInAust

Inspired by Ling's wonderful photos and descriptions I have decided to run a chocolate tasting session for friends/family on Easter Sunday. It definitely wont be on such a grand scale as in those photos!!

I'm wondering if there is a limit on the number of chocolates to offer so that people don't get overloaded and not enjoy the different tastes? The previous professional sessions I've been to had about 16 tastes which worked well. I'm also going to work on the order to present them in, or do I just let everyone grab for themselves?

Various friends/family are bringing along their own chocolate speciality for desserts, plus I'll make some of my own ... and somewhere in there I might make something savoury for lunch (obviously way down the list of priorities!). I'm going to try some combinations of chocolate textures/flavours in the desserts - so many options, it is going to be hard to limit myself so I don't overcater!!

Has anyone else done this on a small scale? got any hints/tips?! Thanks!

did you say you wanted hints? :rolleyes:

Bitterness, acidity, sweetness, astringency and saltiness (depending on the filling) are the basic tastes inherent to chocolate. The cocoa should be...

Plain/Dark Chocolate Tasting Technique:

To really taste the base and primary flavor notes, wait a few seconds after you place a piece of chocolate into your mouth. To release the secondary flavors, expand the chocolate's surface area by chewing five to ten times....

Filled Chocolate Tasting Technique:

Place the chocolate in your mouth and let it melt for a few seconds to release the base and primary flavor notes of the exterior chocolate....

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Domori has a good set of definitions on their website that you can keep in mind when performing a chocolate tasting party. Have the various participants rate the chocolate using these terms. They could perhaps use score cards and then score each chocolate for each attribute. Then they can add up their scores at the end and see which they like the most then you can perform the big reveal ....

Here is Domori's guide :

http://www.domori.com/index.php?app=domori...r&chapter_id=18

Hope this helps,

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

Thanks for the ideas ... I'm swaying between providing tasting notes on each vs letting people work it out for themselves ... will they identify their own flavours vs reading what it is supposed to be like?!

So far I've bought:

Lindt Cuba 55% (Lindt origin are very new in Australia - eg I didn't see them in the shops 2 weeks ago)

Lindt Madagascar 65%

Lindt Eucador 75%

Valrhona Caraibe 66%

Valrhona Guanaja 70%

Goldkenn Trinidad 62% (I've not seen this brand before (swiss), but they had origin chocolate so I bought!)

Goldkenn Sto.Domingo 70%

Goldkenn Venezuela 72%

Hacheze 77%

Hacheze 55.5%

Michel Cluizel - 3 percentages: 60% + 72% + 85%

Michel Cluizel Mangaro

Michel Cluizel Conception

Ghirardelli 60%

Green & Blacks Organic 70%

Green & Blacks Organic Milk

Pink Lady Dark 55% (Australian)

37% Equadorian chocolate

Chevalier Beligan dark chocolate

Dolfin Dark mint leaves

Dolfin Dark orange something or other

Dolfin Milk Marsala

Callebut Sao Tome 70% pellets

Plus I'll put out some "normal" Australian chocolate (Cadbury & Nestle) as a comparison, and maybe for a truly revolting chocolate some regular cheap easter eggs!!

I'm hoping I've got a range of excellent/good/bad ... not much milk chocolate in there nor any white chocolate (but I don't invite friends who like those!! they aren't real chocolate people! :) )

I'm still on a search for Amedei and perhaps a couple more types if I can find them.

I did buy more types that I originally planned because I just couldn't decide between them all!!! :blush: I did leave some behind some on the shelves! And my sister was sent out to only buy 4 types and got 8!! :laugh:

I do tastings about every other month and the only comment in addition to what has been said, is don't offer too much - it becomes overload.

I start off with a bit of history and taste an Aztec hot chocolate offered by our local herb store, or the Vosges Azteca hot chocolate, then let them nibble on Domori roasted beans. After teaching basic tasting skills and terminology i offer El Rey because its a nice progression to help people find their preferred percentage. Then I shift over to the Pralus bars to demonstrate differences in country/region. I like to finish with both the Domori Latte Sal and 100% bars for kicks.

Convaluted answer...just don't overload them :)

Edited by gfron1 (log)

I'm still on a search for Amedei and perhaps a couple more types if I can find them.

You can get the Amedei from Jerry at Chocosphere (http://www.chocosphere.com). They probably also have the other types you are looking for.

For the Amedei, you should definitely try the Chuao as well as their 9 bar. 9 IMHO is one of the best bars out there right now. (It is made from 9 different beans)

You should also try the Domori (also available at Chocosphere). Both are made a few hours drive from each other in Italy. While both their flavors are excellent, you can see a wide divergence in their style / approach to chocolate making.

Be sure to report back how your chocolate tasting goes! I'm anxious to hear and I suspect others are as well!

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

We had a wonderful time with 30 chocolates to taste and large amounts of desserts and other food available (obviously my friends and family don't believe that anyone else will bring food, so bring enough for everyone - I could have had another 10 people without finishing all that we had).

Below are some photos of the chocolate all laid out:

ChocTasting1b.jpg

ChocoTasting2b.jpg

The dessert table - which was replenished with more desserts as the lunch went on:

ChocDesserts1.jpg

One of my contributions which I was proud of - Honey Vanilla Panna Cotta hearts on Lindt 70% - tasted like a mouthful of chocolate with cream!

ChocHearts1b.jpg

I'm really glad I was the one hosting the party - as I've got all the leftover chocolate :biggrin: . It also meant that acting as hostess-with-the-mostess meant I couldn't really concentrate on the tastings and I "have" to go back and keep trying them :laugh: .

We had about 5-6 not so good chocolates as a comparision and I don't think I'd include them next time (depends who is invited - as for my experienced chocolate friends it wasn't necessary, but for those who were just being introduced to the concept it was good). I'd also like to theme it a bit better - so either focus on different brands or different origins ... limiting to about 10 chocolates so we can do more comparisions/tastes between the groups.

By the end I think we were all just so confused about the tastes - my sister found one half way through her tasting that she just raved about - went back at the end to find she no longer liked it!!

I had favourites from across Callebut, Michel Cluizel & Valrhona ... and I'd really love to melt down some of the Dolphin Marsala Milk chocolate with some 99% to make it a darker chocolate, as I just love the Marsala!