• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Coffee

Mayhaw Man

It tastes good, it smells good, and its so beautiful dripping into a glass cup on top of the layer of s-c-milk. Oh my!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

If you've been drinking Cafe Sua Da made from Cafe du Monde or other US brands you will be amazed at the qualitative difference that a good Viet brand of coffee makes.

Agree wholeheartedly. I've also tried some other Vietnamese brands and they fall short of Trung Nguyen.

If anybody has recommendations for Vietnamese brands that are comparable or better than TN, I would love to hear them.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I actually think that the coffee beans you guys are talking about is available at this store where i live. Well i live in Vancouver so we have an abundance of asian ingredients but there is this store Hen long which is a Vietnamese/ Chinese market, independently own that seels all sorts of cool stuff like, cold cuts, barbeque meats, pates, baguettes, Taro icecreams 'exotic' things everytyhing is there. We also have this place called the T&T supermarket which is sort of a growing chain in Canada and they seell those drip coffee makers and vietnamese coffees although not the same as Hen long i dont think.

• 2 weeks later...
Very good new development. You can now buy excellent Vietnamese coffee on-line direct from

Trung Nguyen Coffee

If you've been drinking Cafe Sua Da made from Cafe du Monde or other US brands you will be amazed at the qualitative difference that a good Viet brand of coffee makes.

I have to admit, I've been using Trung Nguyen in my old vac pot. I found it being sold in an obscure shop in Syracuse, so I bought it and the little drip pot that sets on top of the glass. I've yet spent the time necessary to learn the intricacies of that pot. I'm also not accustomed to waiting 15 minutes for one cup of coffee. So into the vac pot it goes when I want something different. It's such a stand-out that I feel like I've gone to a different city for a few minutes. Why does it make me think of chocolate more than any other coffee?

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

• 1 month later...

I am a cafe su da fan. When I make it at home-only on the weekends- I find I have a barely used can of condensed milk. How long does the stuff keep in the fridge?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I am a cafe su da fan.  When I make it at home-only on the weekends- I find I have a barely used can of condensed milk.  How long does the stuff keep in the fridge?

Easily a few months. It won't go bad during that time, due to the high sugar content. However, you will find that it starts to crystallize after a few months, although it doesn't seem to affect the taste.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I have a large jug of Trung Nguyen icing in my fridge right now. Temperatures in Ha Noi have been upwards of 40 this week, although we had a spectacular lightning storm tonight that broke the heat. For my money, nothing beats Trung Nguyen, -Legendee or Passiona blends if you can find them- they smell like chocolate! I'll have a Highland if I'm near one of their outlets, but I think TN is the best. My Dad has asked me to send him some in Halifax, since he can't find it there - maybe I'll send that link instead!

For the record, I use vinamilk 'Ong Tho' as my condensed brand of choice. I find it's better if you leave it in the fridge with the can half open for a day or so...it gets thicker.

Anyway, that and the beer hoi are the only things that make the heat here bearable....