• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Cake

maui420

I'm a big fan of the Mary-Helene's Apple cake from Around My French Table (the new Dorie Greenspan book) . Super easy, very moist, focus is totally on the apples. It's great this time of the year when all the different apples are in the stores. My husband calls it "devil cake" because he's watching what he eats, and he can't resist eating it whenever I make it.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

German baking...I bet somebody here knows just what you are talking about. I would likely use a yogurt topping, but it probably should be sour cream or a custard...how does this Apple Custard Kuchen look to you?

Helen, thank you. I made this cake 2 days ago and it is very close. This recipe is a very good springboard. I think with some tweaking I can get it to be just like grandma's. The cake isn't very sweet, which is also very nice. The new husband really likes it, and he never had grandma's. Thank you for finding this for me.

I'm a big fan of the Mary-Helene's Apple cake from Around My French Table (the new Dorie Greenspan book) .

A couple of weeks ago, we did a home visit with a potential greyhound adopter (took some dogs for her to meet). She insisted on making lunch for us, which included this cake and she sent us home with half of it! It was heavenly. My husband nearly swooned over it and she's promised to make another for him when we go this weekend to deliver her new dog. Those who prefer pie over cake will love this cake, because it has big, moist slices of apple.

I also love the Lewis/Peacock cake. I plan to make the Mary-Helene cake for T'giving, but drizzle it with some of the caramel sauce from the Lewis/Peacock one... why not gild the lilly a bit? :laugh:

BTW, our new greyhound adopter is a fit and sassy 87 years young! She walks and swims every day, is about to have a lap pool installed in her yard and drives a honkin' humongous Merceds wagon. She's also a wonderful cook/hostess! How cool is that? :wub:

Runwestierun, I'm glad you liked that recipe...now I can try it!

That Rhubarb Cake from Chufi...based on a Barbara Maher recipe. Barbara Maher is in my opinion much under-rated, and I love her old "Cakes" book too. I think the original recipe might be "Plum Sponge for Sam", which is a very, very good and versatile recipe...a never-fail fallback in my kitchen.

Today in the kitchen there rests Maher's "My Mother's German Apple Cake", which is of the Dutch Apple Cake family, and is my husband's favorite apple dessert. I like this version of Maher's best, though I can't honestly say why - perhaps because it has plenty of butter and is not a biscuit dough manque? Son made the batter for me, and was so pleased with himself that he posted a picture of the mixing bowl on Facebook!

Last week husband and I made Suzy Sushi's ginger apple cake upthread (an oil cake). I added some more spices (Eliz- David influenced blend of cloves or allspice, nutmeg, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon in addition to the ginger), and I like it very much, not too mushy nor too hard, just a nice snacking cake with a bit of personality. It couldn't be easier to make, as the apple slices don't have to be very neat, and the oil is easier to handle than butter.

• 4 weeks later...
I second the Edna Lewis recipe linked to above. It's killer.

I am making this cake on Saturday night as the end to a casual dinner party. I would like to serve it warm, with ice cream.

As I would like to do as much as possible before hand, do you think it would be possible to mix up the cake batter, refrigerate, and then bake it while we are eating our other courses, so it comes out warm?

I am trying to get out of mixing the cake up last minute.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Remember that the cake is supposed to cool down a bit before you make and pour the glaze. And this cake has a relatively long baking time, possibly more than an hour. I don't have any experience refrigerating the batter, but if it is cold when you put it in the oven it may take even longer, no?

Remember that the cake is supposed to cool down a bit before you make and pour the glaze. And this cake has a relatively long baking time, possibly more than an hour. I don't have any experience refrigerating the batter, but if it is cold when you put it in the oven it may take even longer, no?

Yes, you are quite right. It will take a longer baking time, coming from cold. I have done this with chocolate lava cakes, but not any other type of cake. I was hoping to make it in the early afternoon, and have it ready to bake. I will add on a bit of baking time coming from the fridge. I didn't know how the eggs and flour would react to each other if they had to sit.

I support the Dorie Greenspan cake. The recipe is on Amazon and on David Leibovitz's blog. Perfect with vanilla ice cream and better the next day.

Couldn't be easier to make and is one of those recipes you can very easily memorize.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I made the Edna Lewis apple cake for Saturday night dessert. Abra is right - it is killer.

I ended up making it in the late afternoon. I chickened out on the concept of making the batter, putting it in the fridge and baking it while we were eating the other courses. It was served at room temperature, with ice cream. Absolutely delicious.

The leftovers were great for breakfast the next morning. :laugh:

I will definately make this again. Next time I will try and serve it warm if time and oven space permits.