• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
JanMcBaker

Scrapple!

Since scapple's such a regional product I thought this topic should be in the PA board. If it's felt that it should be under a different area, please feel free to move it.

Now, back to our show....... I suddenly noticed recently that Habberset's scrapple now has wheat flour as one of their ingredients. I was at the local Acme this morning and thought to check the other brands-- about 4-5 altogether. Every single d*** one of them has wheat! When the heck did that happen??!! Did they always have wheat and the new allergy information regulations forced them to acknolwedge it in their ingredients? Or is wheat a cheaper ingredient than corn meal or buckwheat flour? It's especially a PITA to my sister, who has a problem with wheat! Does anyone know what's going on with wheat in scrapple? And does anyone know of scrapple that doesn't have wheat?

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)

Never seen scrapple in stores here, will look for it next shopping trip. We make our own once or twice every winter...just corn meal in ours.

From what I understand, scrapple has always been made with regular wheat flour. My guess is it's a response to allergy information concerning wheat. The recipe should still be identical, though.

I should add that most of the scrapple I purchase in stores is probably made with standard wheat flour.

There is one and only one Golden Rule about eating scrapple: NEVER, ever read the ingredients.

Oh heavens-- I've known about the various piggy parts in scrapple for years-- it's the wheat that's suddenly shown up in the ingredient lists of various brands that's annoying!

Edited to add that I didn't mean my reply to sound like I was annoyed with your post-- just about the wheat! You're right about the ingredients though. When I was lots younger I finally read the list once while eating scrapple, after years of already eating it. My first thought was to stop eating scrapple. Two seconds later I'm thinking why, when I've already been eating it for years? And so of course I'm still eating scrapple!

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)

Sign in to follow this