• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Date night restaurants

So my wife and I are restarting our adult date night now that our second is sleeping through the night. We think of this as either an extended dinner somewhere nice or a quick bite that the kids wouldn't like and then movie/show/shopping/etc.

Anyone do similar things? Any places we should put on our list that would be particularly difficult with rugrats in tow?

Last night we had the extended version at Cafe Juanita (wow! as usual). While I could easily dedicate all of our date nights to them, my wife does want to try different things. We've been out of the restaurant scene for the last last 6 months or so, but we did notice Fork and have it on our future list. Anything else exciting and new?

Are you on the Eastside? If not (or even so), you might want to try elemental@gasworks. http://www.elementalatgasworks.com/

Given your schedule, you could probably make it in at the beginning of the service so you could actually get a seat. It's definitely on the cutting edge pf the NW dining scene, and impossible to get into after 6pm.

Lark is another I would recommend. They also don't take reservations, so getting there early is a must. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/162233_rest27.html The benefit of these early meals, of course, it that you have the rest of your date night free.

On the Eastside, there's Mixtura, serving elegant Andean cuisine in Kirkland. They have terrific small plates for flexible dining options. http://www.mixtura.biz/

Thanks Lizard. Elemental looks interesting! We'll check those out.

We're on the eastside, but we're willing to travel for great food :biggrin: . I didn't say this explicitly, but our date nights are definitely without kids -- they'll have a sitter -- and we'd like to be sitting down to eat at a more civilized time. Last night at CJ we were sitting down at 7:45 or so. Of course, if we need to, we can dine earlier and find something else to fill our time.

On Friday we had dinner at home with Iris, then went out by ourselves for dessert and a glass of wine in the bar at Eva--it was great, definitely something I would do again on a "date night." Le Pichet is another place where you can get either dinner or just drinks and cheese (the cheese is always more appealing than dessert). New places: definitely try Fork. I haven't been to Moxie in Lower Queen Anne yet, but it sounds good, and Cremant in Madrona is getting raves. Not quite as new, but if you like Thai, May in Wallingford is beautiful and has great food and drinks. Our current favorite date place is probably Dinette (when Iris is with us, we go to Red Line across the street).

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I had a nice dinner at the bar at Restaurant Zoe when I was in Seattle for the IACP conference. Good cocktails, and some good wine suggestions from the bartender.

Union has amazing food and I'd recommend Marjorie as well.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Veil has a new Happy Hour menu. I had the tasting menu there a few days ago, and there were several great dishes I really enjoyed. I particularly liked the foie gras torchon and the salted peanut butter ice-cream.

I've only had dessert so far at Mistral, but I've only heard good things about the food and that restaurant would be my #1 pick for a date night.

Also, didn't Cremant just open? I heard that the chef there was the former sous chef at Le Pichet.

Edited by Ling (log)