• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penzeys Spices in Manhattan

emsny

It will be interesting to see how their prices compare to their catalog. It should be a very good source. Thanks for the info.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It will be interesting to see how their prices compare to their catalog. It should be a very good source. Thanks for the info.

Doc - There's a Penzeys store about 2 blocks from one of my offices in Chicago that I use a a resource. Store prices are the same as catalog.

Doc - There's a Penzeys store about 2 blocks from one of my offices in Chicago that I use a a resource. Store prices are the same as catalog.

That is what I would expect, but the rent ain't cheap :laugh:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

How many New Yorkers feel like the difference in price between Penzey's and places like Kalustyan's, Dowel, and Sahadi's is worthwhile? I can get good spices cheaply, any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I wonder how a Penzey's store will do with people who don't mind shopping in non-chi-chi places with "ethnic" clientele.

Michael aka "Pan"

Expensive and "non-ethnic," then. I think there is a clientele that prefers not to go downtown and shop in Indian and Chinese and Thai stores. And of course in terms of shops in Grand Central, there's the commuter crowd. But to me, it's amazing that you can find the same spices being sold for multiple times more a few miles away -- or even blocks away. Why, for example, would anyone in the East Village buy small quantities of stale spices in little jars in the supermarket when they can get much higher-quality, fresher spices in larger quantities at Dowel and any number of other Indian or Bangladeshi stores in this neighborhood? Ignorance, I think, and a lack of inclination by some people to go to places that are associated with different ethnic groups and aren't already familiar to them.

I admit I have a prejudice against expensive spice purveyors. But at least I think you all can see why.

Michael aka "Pan"

Expensive and "non-ethnic," then. I think there is a clientele that prefers not to go downtown and shop in Indian and Chinese and Thai stores. And of course in terms of shops in Grand Central, there's the commuter crowd. But to me, it's amazing that you can find the same spices being sold for multiple times more a few miles away -- or even blocks away. Why, for example, would anyone in the East Village buy small quantities of stale spices in little jars in the supermarket when they can get much higher-quality, fresher spices in larger quantities at Dowel and any number of other Indian or Bangladeshi stores in this neighborhood? Ignorance, I think, and a lack of inclination by some people to go to places that are associated with different ethnic groups and aren't already familiar to them.

I admit I have a prejudice against expensive spice purveyors. But at least I think you all can see why.

I don't think that is who Penzey's will be marketing to. The location says it all.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

I was in Grand Central yesterday, and it happened to be opening day for Penzey's. It's a little booth in the Market area, so I'm not sure how much of the line they'll carry. Prices were the same as in the catalog. I had the same thought about Kalustyans - that I wasn't sure what would make me go to Penzey's instead. However, for those who pass through Grand Central every day, it's pretty darn convenient.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

• 7 months later...
How many New Yorkers feel like the difference in price between Penzey's and places like Kalustyan's, Dowel, and Sahadi's is worthwhile?

I thought that a lot of the Penzeys hype was just that until I compared some recent purchases from Kalusytan's to my past Penzeys purchases. I have to say that the mace and nutmeg from Penzeys taste a lot fresher, more pure and just plain better than their Kalustyan's counterparts. In fact, I'm throwing out the nutmeg and mace from Kalustyan's; they're just not worth eating.

Kalustyan's certainly has a lot to offer, but for some spices, I think the quality at Penzeys is much better.

Kalustyan's certainly has a lot to offer, but for some spices, I think the quality at Penzeys is much better.

Penzey's recently opened a store in Philadelphia, which is not nearly as conveniently located to commuters as the New York outpost would seem to be. Yet I will happily drive the 25-30 minutes it takes me to get to the Chestnut Hill almost-suburban-but-still-in-city-limits location of the store for exactly this reason. The quality and freshness of the spices and particularly the selection of proprietary spice blends the store carries. Great products, great quality, great prices.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Opening day? I'm pretty sure I was there before Christmas. In fact, I know I was. Must have been their grand opening. Anyhow, I haven't been to Kalustyan's often, so can't speak to their prices, but actually I was surprised at how low the Penzey's prices were--comparable to, and in some cases lower than, decent supermarket brands. Good quality, too. The service was on the unknowledgable side, maybe because it's so new.

Hi,

I have been a Penzey's customer going back to the 1970's. Their quality has always been top notch and the prices are much better than a supermarket.

When they began opening stores, they carefully selected locations that were inexpensive and in improving neighborhoods. They were equally careful with staff selection and training in Brookfield, WI.

To this day, their staff members are helpful and informed. They no longer train in Brookfield and many have not met Bill, that may be an advantage.

There are wonderful stories about the Penzey family businesses. Just go into the Spice House in Evanston, IL and ask about Penzey's Catalog - If you whisper to a new employee, you might get an earful.

Tim

Does Penzey's have anything at all on Aphrodisia?

I lived in the neighborhood for 20 years, still stop by a couple times a year to replenish various stocks. I can't imagine a better spice shop.

Wondering if anyone who's been to both has any observations.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845