• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner at Ora

PaulaJK

Word of mouth & NSLedger reviews influenced the 4 of us to

approach our dinner at Ora w. much enthusiasm. We were very

disappointed.

The room is stark, perhaps some would say New Yorkish. It's

not the style that was the problem but w. hardwood floors and a

lack of any noise absorbing fabrics or decor, the noise level inter-

ferred w. conversing. We had a table for 4, too small for the table

settings. The busboy struggled to place the small basket of

country style sliced bread; it was accompanied by 2 slivers of

butter [for 4]. Clunky water glasses were filled once only. Although

we opened both a red & white wine, no queries followed

about needing other or additional wine glasses. They wouldn't have

fit on the table anyway! Even the first glass of wine was not poured.

The menu has about 8 offerings in @ dept of apps, pastas and

entrees. We chose 4 different apps and 3 different entrees.

The octopus app was so-o-o small...barely little finger size.

The salmon tartare was disliked. The duck confit & pasta w.

boar sauce were uninteresting but edible. Two of us had

ordered the scallops. 3 specimens arrived on the plate atop

tiny pieces of veggies, no starch. I like my scallops just turned;

these were just about raw. We returned them, requesting a

bit more cooking and they were returned to us still in a pre

turned state. My friend declined to eat them...and the waiter

never inquired about her still full plate. Only the pasta w.

rock shrimp dish was rated adequate.

We four dine out a lot locally and agreed that this was the

most disappointing meal that we had ever shared. We didn't

linger for dessert or coffee...but considered stopping for a

slice of pizza on our way home.

I work in Morristown. I had lunch there twice and I thought the food was good. My only complaint was that the lunch menu was the same (as costly) as the dinner menu. We were told that this would change.

Paula, was it crowded for dinner?

I don't blame Paula for giving it a try even if it was panned here. People have different tastes. The same restaurant can vary, also.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

The other Ora thread is here, for whatever it's worth...

My brother went with a large group (14, iirc) and they spent the next few days talking about how mediocre the food was, how bad the service was, and the ridiculously high cost. That combo was all I needed to hear!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Oh,Curlz..wish I had overheard them! Yes, in addition &

considering the above, we also found them overpriced....

but that seemed like the least of their problems.

FYI...did try researching 'Ora"...never thought of adding the town!

Anyway, I had read anearlier good review plus thought I recalled

a very nice review from the NStarLedger....so, off I went.

Other must have heard or read something also as the room was

crowded on a Sat evening.

How would you feel about this; what would you do?

On my home answering machine [Tuesday] I rec'd a message

from "Jeffrey" [presumably of Ora] stating that he learned that

I had had a less than satisfactory last Sat at Ora and would I

return his call to discuss it.

I had a lot of conflict...mainly because I like to be "fair" and

because I could empathize w. a chef. But I minded that he had

called me at home; I found it intrusive . And I thought that I had

given a complete report of my experience [not just a 1 line

summary that invited elaboration] and did not wish to discuss

it further....and I did not wish to return to Ora, even if offered

a comp....so I finally decided not to return his call.

I agree with Paula not calling back. It's like calling a food critic and offering them a comp to improve on a review. I want to know how they do when they think no one's looking. Also, I don't want a restaurant calling me and invading my privacy.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

Was the phone number he called the same number you gave when you made your reservation? If not, the whole thing is creepy. If it is then I'm not sure there's anything wrong with calling you. It could just be a good faith effort on the part of a restaurant owner hearing that you've had a bad experience and trying to find out how to make things better in the future. However, if this makes you uncomfortable then you have no obligation to call him back.

Was the phone number he called the same number you gave when you made your reservation? If not, the whole thing is creepy. If it is then I'm not sure there's anything wrong with calling you. It could just be a good faith effort on the part of a restaurant owner hearing that you've had a bad experience and trying to find out how to make things better in the future. However, if this makes you uncomfortable then you have no obligation to call him back.

Yeah, I was wondering how he got the phone number also. If he read the comments on eGullet, a PM would have been okay, but the call at home is creepy. I would not have returned the call.

Dana

• 8 months later...

I had dinner at Ora recently and could not have been more impressed.

I started with the Ecudorinan Shrimp which were perfectly matched with fingerling potatoes, and sampled the Mezzuna (I think that's what it was called ) salad.

My friend's short ribs were amazing, the fusion of flavors that were presented were mindboggling, the same with my perfectly seared scallop entree.

The desserts were great, particularly the banana based dessert that included what I believe was fresh ginger, chocolate and so good that I somewhat rudely interrupted a neighboring table and told them they had to order it. They thanked me for my interuption once getting their dessert.

The Falivene brothers, particularly Jeffrey who seems to work the FOH, could not have been more gracious. Morristown needs more restaurants where the owners genuinely care about the quality of their food over feeding the masses. I look forward to returning.

Went to Ora last night and it was amazing. We had been there twice when it first opened and I admit I was a bit disappointed. However, last night's meal shows that they have improved significantly.

Went before 7:30 on a Community Theater night, so we had the price fixe menu.

My husband and I both started with the octopus appetizer. It was grilled and very tender and the roasted squash, Chinese sausage and wild chives complimented the app.

My husband had the short ribs that were wonderful and I had the pork belly and was so disappointed when it was gone.

We shared a creme brulee with a lavender shortbread type cookie that was wonderful. Unlike other creme brulees that are icy cold with a brulled crust, this was warm inside and yummy.

We will be back for the full menu or the tasting menu soon.